1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Inquest recommendations release

Discussion in 'Roll Calls' started by careygirl, May 31, 2000.

1. careygirl

careygirl TRIBE Member

Hey kids! Here's the UNEDITED version of the release. The final will be sent out at 5 pm tonight. Let me know what you think, and please make any suggestions for adaptations next time around.
    peas,
    Carey

June 1, 2000

PartyPeopleProject

For immediate release

POWER TO THE PARTY PEOPLE PROJECT

Toronto---In response the jurors' recommendations following the coroner's inquest into the death of Allan Ho, the PartyPeopleProject would like to thank all involved in fighting to allow youth to continue to participate in our distinct party culture. The battle against the propaganda and moral panic incited by the Toronto police, Toronto city council and members of the local media is not an easy one. However, we are confident that we, as a community, will be able to continue without unfair and/or unreasonable restrictions.

P3 invites the public to share in the pride we hold for our world-famous rave scene. Our allies around the world are watching closely as we try to communicate to city officials our willingness to co-operate with effective guidelines for promoters and organizers, and to develop harm-reductive strategies to prevent further devastating loss of life.

"We have no problem doing legalized parties," says world-renowned DJ and Windsor native Richie Hawtin. "We want to do parties which are safe and I think there's a lot of people, in Toronto, in Windsor, all over Canada, who want to do parties in safe, legal venues. But the thing that's being held against us seems to be that we want to go out after hours. People want to go out and dance till 5 or 6 in the morning and that shouldn't be held against any of us."

BACKGROUND ON P3

The PartyPeopleProject is a youth-empowered community organization comprised of hundreds of partygoers, party organizers, DJs, artists, community-based health projects, community-based industries and our allies.  Working in alliance with the Toronto Raver Info Project (TRIP) and the Toronto Dance Safety Committee (TDSC), P3 is here to ensure the health and safety of our peers and to improve the vibrancy of the rave community.

At P3, we recognize the contribution of rave to youth culture and industry. Ravers are citizens of all ages, backgrounds and professions who enjoy dancing, electronic music and camaraderie with other partygoers. DANCING IS NOT A CRIME.

P3 supports the TDSC's Protocol for the Operation of Safe Raves passed by Toronto City Council last December. Since the adoption of this protocol, no person has died at a rave in Toronto.

We view the attack on raves as an attack on the civil rights of youth in our society. Confronted with increasing marginalization and discrimination, we have acquired a critical analysis of media, governance and policing. We are organizing as a community, mobilizing for action and instigating change in social policy, legislature and public opinion. We are educating and empowering ourselves.

The PartyPeople Project first emerged as a program of Mayworks 2000.  Mayworks: The Festival of Working People and the Arts, is the largest Labour Arts festival in Canada. P3 was designed to unite and showcase the work, the art and the legitimate youth-run industries that make up the rave scene here in Toronto. In response to continued targeting of our community by government, media and police, the Party People Project was revived to defend the culture, the industry and the politics of raving.

For more information and/or interviews, contact Alex D at (416)778-4115.

To get involved contact partypeopleproject@mail.com

2. Emil

Emil TRIBE Member

Carey,

Nice work on the PR. Just a few suggestions from my end:
    "In response to the jurors' recommendations..."

"...and to develop harm-reduction (?) strategies to prevent further devastating loss of life." (is 'devastating' really necessary?)

As well, I think PartyPeopleProject should not be a compound word, and its use is inconsistant in the PR (ie: PartyPeopleProject, PartyPeople Project, Party People Project). In the one flyer produced thus far, P3 is referenced as Party People Project, and this is a bit easier on the eyes. Yeah... that's my quick glance, and if you think those suggestions are appropriate and can go into tonight's release then great!, otherwise we can table them for next time. - E :)

[This message has been edited by Emil (edited May 31, 2000).]

3. Mark McC

Mark McC TRIBE Member

Hi all
    I've given my suggested changes in CAPITALS.
    First, some general remarks:
    1. I think too many references to 'youth' will confuse our poistion as 'partygoers of all ages' and undermine the leverage we want to use as voters and taxpayers -- the people politicians listen to (allegedly).
    2. If Bill 73 doesn't get mentioned in this press release, should we prepare another one about it? I think, however, that we should mention the bill, if only as one that 'the rave community is disappointed not to have been invited to participate in developing.'
    -------
    The PartyPeopleProject is a youth-empowered community organization comprised of partygoers, party organizers, DJs, artists,
    community-based health projects, community-based BUSINESSES and our allies. Working in alliance with the Toronto Raver Info Project (TRIP) and the Toronto Dance Safety Committee (TDSC), P3 SEEKS to ensure the health and safety of our peers and to improve the vibrancy of the rave community.

P3 RECOGNIZES the contribution of rave to youth culture and industry. Ravers are citizens of all ages, backgrounds and
    professions who enjoy dancing, electronic music and camaraderie with other partygoers. DANCING IS NOT A CRIME.

P3 viewS the attack on raves as an attack on CITIZENS' civil rights. Confronted with increasing marginalization and discrimination, we have acquired a critical analysis of media, governance and policing. We are organizing as a community, mobilizing for action and instigating change in social policy, legislature and public opinion. We are educating and empowering ourselves.

The PartyPeople Project first emerged as a program of Mayworks 2000. Mayworks: The Festival of Working People and the Arts, is the largest Labour Arts festival in Canada. P3 was designed to unite and showcase the work, the art and the legitimate ENTREPRENEURS' BUSINESSES that make up the rave scene here in Toronto. In response to
    THE continued vicious DISCRIMINATION AGAINST our community by government, media and police, the Party People Project was revived to defend the culture, the industry and the politics of raving.

4. careygirl

careygirl TRIBE Member

Thanks guys! I'll save these changes for the next release, on Bill 73, which will go out next week. In the meantime, does anyone have any ideas about how we should go after Fantino? We need HARD facts about what he's said. Mark, I hate to single you out, but you have the archives, dude. Can you find us something to attack, say, by monday?
    thanks again,
    peas,
    Carey

5. TS

TS TRIBE Member

Hello,
    Looks good just a couple of questions / comments from me:
    I thought it was mentioned in our meeting that Trip cannot be directly aligned with PPP due to their government funding. We have there full support but that they can't actually be named as a full partner. I'm not sure on this but can someone double check we don't want to risk their program. Also this is an introduction to the PPP. I'm not sure if we should be doubling up our press releases and including feeling about the inquest recommendations with an introduction of the PPP to the media. I was under the impression that these were to be two separate releases, even if they we released at the same time. I just feel that it looks really bad to start a press release about the inquest and all we say I it is thanks to the Jury members than talk about ourselves for the remainder of the information. Is it possible to separate these out in to two items? I just feel that it looks more professional as well it doesn't make light of our reaction or opinions on the Jury recommendations by making it a blurb.
    Tanya

6. careygirl

careygirl TRIBE Member

Hey,
    The reason the first part is vague is because we had to send this out last night and we didn't know what the results would be till this morning, so we couldn't react directly to anything specific. However, the tie in to the inquest still provides us with a newshook which an earlier, separate Intro release wouldn't have had on its own, and noone would have given a shit. That's why I put them together. This way we have a definition and a purpose at the same time, and I read hundreds of professional press releases written this way everyday. Two would be too confusing; you wouldn't want one of them to get lost in the shuffle of a newsroom.
    I'm sorry about the TRIP thing, I didn't know. The definition came down from above, so I assumed everything within was okay. Hopefully Alex caught it when he edited it down...also, for the next release, can we set up some sort of time to talk about this stuff BEFORE the deadline?
    Thanks,
    Carey
    p.s. Is anyone writing anything up for tomorrow, since we'll know the specific results by then? I can do it if someone sends me the info...

7. TS

TS TRIBE Member

Yeah I understand that a description of the organization prior to an event might get lost in the shuffle, but by making such a general statement we really haven't said anything about the inquest at all in that release. This leave us in the same situation except now we have tied ourselves to using the inquest as a platform to launch ourselves into the media without making a statement at all. Stories about the inquest are going to focus on what happened, peoples reaction and what this might mean for the future. I don't think we have included any of that in our statement. I was under the understanding after our meeting on Tuesday that we would have a press release ready for the inquest on the results of the recommendations stating our feeling, reactions and possible plan of action according to what came back. One release if it's good one if it's bad and than we would finalize the appropriate one once the results were public. Along with that would be an attachment in regard who we are and what we're doing.
    Anyways this is my opinion but that's why we decided that all items to be released unless under extremely tight time constraints would be posted to the board for a couple of eyes to look at before going to the press. So that we can all throw in our two cents and Alex and Don as Editors can tell us to shut up when it gets out of hand.
    It's a good piece it just wasn't what I was expecting
    Tanya

8. Mark McC

Mark McC TRIBE Member

the word's out: http://www.cp24.com/newstories/topnews.asp

click on the vidlink to see Chow's reaction. things are looking up.

Carey: on Fantino, the news shows that he's either changing his tune or becoming wildly inconsistent. i might be able to prepare a shortlist of Fantinisms this evening and bring them to the 2Much forum -- let me know if you're planning to attend. otherwise email me and we'll arrange an alternative meeting.

-mmcc

9. careygirl

careygirl TRIBE Member

I'm happy we've gone through this, cuz I have to admit that typing up realeases with NO time to spare has been stressfull, and now we have a bit of experience as a group to set up a framework to deal with this stuff. I really appreciate all the input, I just wish I had received it sooner. Next time, a) we will have more than 18 hours to respond, and b) we know what we're dealing with re:Bill 73 ahead of time. I can't do up the Bill 73 release, cuz my family is in from out of town till next Thurs, so Katherine has volunteered to do it. She will post it well in advance of release, for sure, so everyone keep checking so we can all respond in time.

Congrats on the recommendations, everyone! Let's keep this momentum going. Mel is a wishy-washy flake, so if a bunch of old jurors think he's being hysterical, hopefully those ignorants in the burbs will too, and then'll he'll backpedal faster than, well, fast.

Also, I called that Shane Gerard guy, and he seems pretty cool. He has lots of experience spinning arts causes to the provincial government, and he seems to have many resources at his fingertips. he's also done promotions for Metro Productions and he used to book the Comfort Zone. I told him I'd get back to him...should I invite him to next week's meeting?

peas,
    Carey

10. careygirl

careygirl TRIBE Member

Oh yeah, I forgot:
    Mark,
    Could you email me some concrete examples of Fantino being a nazi-in-training some time in the next week? I'm thinking:
    -the community meeting where they cut off the mic on Sandy (I think it was Sandy)
    -the bullshit he fed the press about raves tying up all the ambulances
    -a couple quick quotes we can debunk to cast doubt on his knowledge/character. If we can show he's wrong about some little things, the public will be less inclined to trust him on larger things...
    no rush on this, just sometime in teh next week, and then we can hit him after we've hit Bill 73!
    Tanks a boonch,
    Carey

11. smokeyeyes

smokeyeyes TRIBE Member

Also, I called that Shane Gerard guy, and he seems pretty cool. He has lots of experience
    spinning arts causes to the provincial government, and he seems to have many resources at
    his fingertips. he's also done promotions for Metro Productions and he used to book the
    Comfort Zone. I told him I'd get back to him...should I invite him to next week's meeting?

hey!! it's great that you got a hold of him ... i knew it would spark your interest. [​IMG]

when is your meeting next week? because if you invite him, the lobby cell will send a representative so that we can get input on him as well, should he have political tactics advice. this will refrain from having him meet with two different groups on two different evenings.

isa [​IMG]

12. careygirl

careygirl TRIBE Member

The meeting is Tuesday at 7 at 49 Ontario (just N of Adelaide and just E of Sherbourne)
    I'm going to call him back this afternoon. please send a lobby cell member, cuz we have to organize letter writing anyway.
    thanks!
    Carey

13. TRIP

TRIP TRIBE Member

Carey,

I have a copy of the tape from th meet fantino night where he turned off the mic on erin and also denied his prior statement about guns confiscated from raves (if anyone has the pic of him posed in front of these alleged rave guns, it would be great to hold that up against the statement he made to me denying this allegation).

Let me know if i can help in any way, via trip or creative discruption. also the thing about trip working in partnership with p3, that's totally fine to include in there. i think we are all working in partnership here and trip doesn't risk anything in being open about this. the problem we had before was when we were oriigianlly going to include trip as a cell of p3, and we decided against it just to be on the safe side. but i can;t see any worries about collaborative efforts and i think it's important for all of us to make those links clear. the power of
    numbers [​IMG]

take care,
    Sandy

14. careygirl

careygirl TRIBE Member

Sandy,
    If we could get our hands on that tape for Tuesday's meeting, that would be great! Could you give it to one of the media pple, and then I'll use it in the press release discrediting Fantino [​IMG] and also, if anyone has a tape of the MuchMusic forum, the cops came out and said they'd never seized a gun at a rave, so that'd be good ammo too.
    I think just the association with P3 and TRIP is help enough; your rep adds cred to our group BECAUSE you are a gov-funded org. Maybe TRIP could write some of its own letters to city councillors and MPPs...that's where we need to focus right now.
    Thanks,
    Carey