1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Important Yahoo! Mail Service Announcement

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Fir3start3r, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Fir3start3r

Fir3start3r TRIBE Member

I just got this today... :(

That really stinks...but it's understood.
    *sigh*
    Another death stick into the anonimity of the web....

2. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

It's not like they're shutting down your account. I don't use Yahoo mail but I'm kind of surprised that they allowed POP access and mail forwarding up until now. It's open to a lot of abuse as long as they have it setup like that.

You can still have an annonymous account that you don't have to pay for.

Pete

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Yahoo Mail related question:

Is there any way to export mail from my yahoo account, without actually forwarding each message individually?

I have 2 Yahoo accounts, and they're both almost maxed out, so I want to import them to my PC.

4. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

Tearer: if you set up a pop3 access from home or work you should be able to retrieve all the messages and then just save them locally. you'll have to look into how to set that up yourself, i've never done that thru yahoo! but it should be fairly straight forward.

i've had an account with nameplanet.com and it gave me forwarding privilages from a <firstname>@<lastname>.net addy. it was great 'cuz i could just give out that addy to people and it was really easy to remember. then they cancelled the free forwarding dilly. suxors for me.

--craig

5. Fir3start3r

Fir3start3r TRIBE Member

Yea it's pretty easy Tearer...
    If you use Micro$oft Outlook you can set up a new mail account and set the servers to:

POP: pop.mail.yahoo.com
    SMTP: smtp.mail.yahoo.com

That should download everything for you (and allow you to send until their cut off date).

SuXors for me too cause I like to keep it all locally as well. :(

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for your help Craig and firestarter....

I set up my outlook to retrieve mail from yahoo, but I think that it will only pull in new messages sent to me.

I was hoping there was a way I could download all my saved messages that are in my Yahoo account. They need an export function.

7. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Yahoo is also fucking with Briefcase/Photo's sections as well not to mention closeing thier clubs area.. I wonder if there going under?

8. Fir3start3r

Fir3start3r TRIBE Member

Wha????
    They're closing their clubs area??
    Man....wtf is going on??? :confused:

9. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

All of this is due to the collapse of the internet advertising market. Portals depend on it to survive, and Yahoo! is one of the most dependent.

No such thing as a free lunch.

10. joey

joey TRIBE Member

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Joey, that will come in handy when I send you voodoo curses back.