if you had to choose one fave restaurant...

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by cdp, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Littlest Hobo

Littlest Hobo TRIBE Member

I don't know much but I know restaurants...here we go:

Korean: Korean House
    Japanese: Fune
    Chinese: Kum Jug Juan, Jung Sing (on Baldwin)
    Italian: stay home and make it yourself.
    Steak: see italian
    French: La Palette
    Cheap Ass breakfast: Sneaky Dees
    Indian: The Host
    BBQ: Dipamos

I'm hungry.

2. The Magical White Isle

The Magical White Isle TRIBE Member

Sorry, I disagree with the masses on this one. I was there once, and I won't go back. Whatever I ate, I wasn't happy with, and I usually don't get too fussed on where and what I eat.

Some places I like/are good restaurants off the top of my head that I don't think have been mentioned.

College street - Cocco Lezzone's.
    Steak - Harbour 60, Hy's, Morton's.
    Japanese - Nami, I heard Hiro Sushi is good as well but haven't been yet.
    Cheap Sushi - Sushi Time.
    Some other random ones - The Rosewater Supper Club (Toronto Street), Lolita's Lust (Danforth), The Myth (Danforth), Soto Soto (Avenue and Yorkville-ish), Goldfish (not too expensive on Bloor), YYZ (Adelaide).

There are many others that I can't think of off the top of my head. I always like trying new, slick places and eating some good food with good company and tons of booze.

Peace,

T

3. Sassy

Sassy TRIBE Member

;) No doubt

4. cdp

cdp TRIBE Member

AVALANCHE!!!!

You people are great. Now I have a trillion places to check... which means I'll have to check which places got the most votes, and go to those. Or maybe the places with the best descriptions... I'll have alot of fun one way or another.

This worked out so well, I'm going to try some other "if you had to choose" threads. Like I said, I'm a tourist...

Hey, I can't tell who the girls are with those generic nicks you use! HowmI going to choose the first prize winner?!?!?

(guess I can't complain... "cdp")

Yo, thanks again!

Charles

5. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

then it's a date;)

Kyfe

6. boost

boost TRIBE Member

For a 'time of your life' dining experience, I'd recommend Accolade (in the Crowne Plaza).

It'll take a monster bite out of your bank account (dinner for two with drinks set me back over $500), but it was worth every penny.

Every course, every mouthful was the best I've ever had in my life. Honestly, it's that eye-closing, 'oh man, i can't believe how good this is' experience with each bite.

It's all based on a 'surprise' tasting menu - you just choose the number of courses and whether you'd like the wine accompaniment or not. I read that they've recently added a table d'hote as well.

Only downside is that the atmosphere is not great - it's definitely got a 'hotel feel' to it... but the quality of food more than makes up for it.

Until I make my first mil, it's the kind of place I'll go only on very special occasions - but if you love fine food, it's the place to go.

Other recommendations: Serra and Rouge (just opened) on Bloor St. - mostly because I can stumble home with my full belly after dinner... for cheap food and a really nice chill atmosphere, I totally agree with the The Red Room on Spadina.

7. juice

juice TRIBE Member

Yeah a few times I've had to get my own menu and drinks but I'll live with it for their cheap prices :)

8. juice

juice TRIBE Member

If you are really into the whole "tasting menu" idea I'd have to recommend JOV Bistro. Amazing food, different wine for each course. Pretty pricey but worth every cent. Getting reservations can be a bit tricky sometimes though if you want a weekend evening table.

9. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

terroni (yonge st location) is my fave.
    great food, reasonable prices, friendly staff, relaxed casual atmosphere.

for those who don't know, terroni is a word northern italians use to ridicule and mock those from the south.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

For indian food babur for dinner the butter chicken there is amazing.
    Southern Accent has the best cajun food the sea bass melts in your mouth and this is coming from a person that hates fish.
    The gumbo is amazing you must get it, mmmm soooo tasty!
    Willy's Jerk has the best jerk chicken in town it really works up a sweat. More of a take out joint though
    And nothing beats being plastered at 4 in the morning eating tasty chinese food at garden restaurant on dundas close to the eaton center.

11. Temper Tantrum

Temper Tantrum TRIBE Member

EwWww. CC and I ate @ Goldfish a few weeks ago when Sera had a huge line up and I was just not impressed..I felt like I was in an aquarium, the food was pretty gross and I couldn't identify half the stuff on the menu. And kinda pricey, but for a hotshot like you 'not too expensive' is expensive for me ;)

~allie~

12. Guest

Guest Guest

wildfire grill on yonge between yorkmills and lawrence.

great atmosphere, great food and really good service to boot.
    I'm not sure of the prices since I was only there for an office christmas party and had everything paid for, but I would think it would be in the neighbourhood of $40-50 a meal.

13. Burgers - Johnny's (what else?)
    Italian - Serra
    Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Korean - Oja Noodle House
    Oriental noodles - Zyang (?) (right across the road from Oja on Yonge)
    Steak - Keg Mansion - hands down
    Enviroment - Baton Rouge on Yonge
    Korean - San
    Class - Splendido's (thanks again for the recommendation Beaker)
    Sushi - That all you can eat place on the Danforth
    Pub - Like the Firkin, like the Bishop and the Belcher, like Duke of Kent
    Lougey food - Insominia

From the Ministry of off the top of my head.

Prime Minister Highsteppa

14. stargurl*

stargurl* TRIBE Member

I really don't like paying a lot of money for meals. I've been known to turn down dinner invitations saying, take what you would have spent on the meal, buy staple foods with it and put them in the food bank donation bin at the grocery store.

So many people, even within our own communities, can't afford to eat. Why should I go out and spend large amounts of money on a meal? I shouldn't, so I don't.

15. Loopster

Loopster TRIBE Member

More to add to the list:

Cheap but delicious:

Burgers - Apache (unbelievably good ... & I don't usually go for burgers ...) - in West Toronto
    Fish & Chips - St. Andrews on Ellesmere (authentic Scottish fare)
    Korean - Se Jongs (near Christie & Bloor)
    Sushi - Sushi on Bloor (always mobbed so you need a reservation)
    Bread & Roses - best homemade soups ever (Bloor St. W.)

If you're feeling carnivorous & nothing but a hunk 'o meat will suffice, nothing beats the Lower Church St. Keg for filet mignon. With some good red wine, it's pure heavon.

p.s. I agree with everyone else who praises Salad King - I think their spicy tofu & fresh, exotic veggies are the best in the city for the $.

p.p.s. if you want to please your social conscience AND enjoy a meal out, consider The River on Roncesvailles .... for coffee, consider Alterntive Grounds ... the first is a training ground for street youth AND has a great atmosphere. The 2nd uses only Fair Trade coffees, has amazing homemade soups & does work with women's shelters.

16. juice

juice TRIBE Member

I totally agree with both your Apache Burger and Bread & Roses suggestions. Apache Burger is by far the best burger in the city. Plus it's new retro interior is fun. My grandmother lives just a few streets over from Apache Burger and everytime we went to visit we always made a stop there. Bread & Roses is a staple of Bloor West dining, amazing soups at cheap prices!

17. Doll

Doll TRIBE Member

What I don't understand is how, after 3 pages, Kubo hasn't been mentioned once.

Doll

18. ChROmE

ChROmE TRIBE Member

Word!

I was thinking the same thing. Only been to the one in the exchange tower and the food and ladies thre are delicous. Great place to unwind for a beer during lunch...

PeAcE&KuboSteady

ChROMe

19. *SiLver*RoBoT*

*SiLver*RoBoT* TRIBE Member

Haven't been to Apache Burgers in ages. Great Burgers though. Bread & Roses has very yummy cookies as well...use to go there for coffee after work all the time.

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

20. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member

I'm not sure I like the idea of eating anywhere named Rocco. :eek:

21. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

Bishop and the Belcher.

22. Guest

Guest Guest

F that.
    I used to be a hardcore keg addict. At one point I was spending over $200 a week eating there.
    I went to the keg mansion last week and it seems that the portions have gotten considerably smaller and they raised their prices. WTF is up with that? That place isn't even nice. Most of the keg restuarants are nicer than the mansion.

Anyway, that place wildfire grill has wicked steak(and being a steak conessuier I know), As good as the keg if not a bit better. Not to mention the service is way better and it's actually a really nice place.

23. atomic

atomic TRIBE Member

I drive by nami all the time and have been meaning to check it out.. can you tell me a bit more about it?

cheers,
    a

24. sugar

sugar TRIBE Member

So who's taking me for lunch?

I can be ready in half an hour.

I can even meet you downtown!

I'll even dress all pretty and stuff, but no hanky-panky unless we go somewhere REALLY expensive :p

25. Loopster

Loopster TRIBE Member

... especially when accompanied by their amazingly delicious homemade potato bread. Man - I'm getting hungry just thinking about it ... never thought I'd love soups with flavours like "cucumber", but aren't they the best?

:p

BTW: Apache burgers are soooo good you don't even feel like it's meat that you're eating.

BTW#2: *SiLver*RoBoT* ... time to go back ... it's even better when you've waited many moons between visists ...

Hey guys - where is Kubo? I'm totally out of the loop on this one.