I think I have too many DVD's

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by el presidente Highsteppa, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Even if you pay an extra 5 to 10 dollers more for the 2 or 3 that you HAVE to buy you still got 4 for 50cents!! I think thats still like getting 2 free... Besides colletors editions usually cost mint.

2. Yup.

From the Ministry of and just to bug you Ross [​IMG]

Prime Minister Highsteppa

3. tommysmalls

tommysmalls TRIBE Member

Just bought my first dvd!!!!!

BARAKA - the most shockingly profound/beautiful/inspirational/disturbing movie i have ever seen...koyaanasquatsi is at least as good, but not available on dvd

ron fricke is the man!

cheers,
    tommy

4. How old is your DVD player?

What make is it?

Is the DVD itself scratched?

From the Ministry of answer these questions three, and I will be able to help thee.

5. juice

juice TRIBE Member

I didn't even think about this for some reason until you posted. But I just tried the DVD in my laptop and it works just fine throughout the whole movie, but on the standalone player it's a no go.

DVD player is about 1 1/2 years old. Pioneer 525 a pretty good player I think. No scratches on the DVD either.

Anyone wanna buy this one? If it can't work on the player I have I really don't have a need for it. Never been viewed more then 20 minutes into the film if that matter to any
    of you [​IMG]

6. Okay, not I see where the problem might lie. DVD technology is pretty young, and a lot of players that were new about a year and a half ago and longer, didn't have the capability to play certain, newer, cutting edge dvd's. When I bought the Alien DVD, it wouldn't play in my player, and that's because my DVD player was made around the same time that a new way of layering was done (at least that's how it was explained to me). Mine's a Toshiba, and I got them to give it a slight upgrade, and they did it for free. Call their customer service hotline and tell them your problem, you might get the run around for a bit, but the upgrade should be free of charge.

ME!!!!!!!

From the Ministry of I know that dj cheezwhiz would be down for it too.

7. juice

juice TRIBE Member

Alright thanks for the earlier tip I'll give Pioneer a call and see what they say. I really would like to keep this player for a while because it is a good quality DVD player and it plays CDR VCD'S which is a nice asset.

Ok if you are interested in the DVD please email me your offers.

Andrew

8. Temper Tantrum

Temper Tantrum TRIBE Member

Don't have that many:
    Willow
    Princess Bridge
    Wonderboys
    Being John Malchovich
    Gladiator
    Matrix
    Fight Club
    Stigmata
    Eyes Wide Shut
    Simpsons Criterion edition
    Scarface
    Usual Suspects
    The Cell
    Tarzan
    American Pie
    GO
    Seven
    Sex in the City - Season 1
    Sex in the City - Season 2
    Batman

~allie~

9. DOES NOT COMPUTE

From the Ministry of methinks you mean Season 1 of the Simpsons

Prime Minister Highsteppa <= picky anal retentive asswhole

10. juice

juice TRIBE Member

Ah I just bought the Wonderboys DVD ... great movie!!!

11. BassInMyFace

BassInMyFace TRIBE Member

Ahhhh, also my favorite. How much did the DVD run, as I am looking for it this weekend in TO. What is this "koyaanasquatsi" you speak of? If you compare it equally to Baraka, I must see it.
    Curious.

12. It's from the same people behind Barake, there's two of them (not available on DVD, however), Koyaanasquatsi and Powaasquatsi (or however the hell you spell it). There's also a third one, but the name escapes me.

From the Ministry of laying it down for ya like pavement

13. tommysmalls

tommysmalls TRIBE Member

http://www.spiritofbaraka.com/baraka.php

this has all the info on ron fricke's stuffs...also check my hmv thread and don't make the mistake i did...order the special edition of baraka from amazon.com....apparently you can't buy the better quality dvd in our (deprived) nation

cheers,
    tommy

14. BassInMyFace

WOW!
    Thanks guys, now I have another huge conquest, to collect them all. Too bad they arent all available on DVD. I guess I wont be packing the VCR away just yet!

15. BassInMyFace

What does it mean when a DVD is PAL encoded? Will most DVD players, I have a new Pioneer, play these DVD's?

It looks like Ron Fricke's other works...
    -Koyaaniquatsi
    -Chronos
    -Anima Mundi
    -Microcosmos
    -Naquoyqatsi

.....are going to proove to be very hard to find. And would hate to buy somthign that my machine would even play!!!

16. BassInMyFace

Also, and I know I should be trying to figure these thigns out on my own, what do they mean when they rewfer to certain titles only being available in different Regions....Region 1 2 3 & 4?

Thought you might all like this chance to shine is all. [​IMG]

17. BassInMyFace

Yes it is official, I am a lazy baffoon! The answers to all above question were located convieniently at the bottom of the page I was on.
    I am a moron..... [​IMG]

18. tommysmalls

tommysmalls TRIBE Member

i'd check places like amazon.com to see which are available in north america....i wouldn't really recommend chronos - it is nowhere near as good as baraka and koyaanasquatsi.

as for dvd's, i think the regional coding is what you look for - my (vague) understanding is PAL is the deconding format used in n.america and asia, and SECAM is whats used in europe....but i could be way off [​IMG]

19. tommysmalls

tommysmalls TRIBE Member

...from that same site...

----------------------
    VHS - NTSC & PAL
    The VHS cassette standard differs between countries.

The physical cassette is the same (i.e. they look the same) but the way the images are stored on the tape differ.

A PAL video recorder/player will generally not play NTSC cassettes and vice versa.
    But VHS recorder/players are available that will play both types of cassette.
    I live in the UK where PAL is the standard, but I have a VHS recorder/player that will playback NTSC cassettes. So most of the tapes I have of these films are from the States in NTSC format.
    Be careful when buying VHS copies of the films, ensure they will play on your VHS recorder/player (check with the vendor).

NTSC is used in Canada, United States, Japan and parts of South America.
    PAL is used in Europe (but not France), Scandinavia, Australia, and India.
    SECAM is used in Eastern Europe and France. These films are not available on SECAM.
    -----------------------

oh yeah, and koyaanasquatsi is available on dvd, if you make a $180 donation to some organization - its prolly a solid organization that i'd love to help, but $180 !!!!! [​IMG]

20. BassInMyFace

Yeah I read all that after I posted, doh!

I tried to find out what the organization was but the link was dead.
    $180, probably US is steep. This is going to be an ongoing quest I can tell.

What about EBAY? You ever buy anything on it?

Im hesitant but I guess all the sellers have their rating and history available to check out.
    Thoughts?
    HMV=Devil

21. PinkAngeL

PinkAngeL TRIBE Member

movie night at James' place from now on
    [​IMG]

22. Magnolia Fan

Magnolia Fan TRIBE Member

I myself only started recently... I have only about 25...

but my buddy's been going for a few years now... he's got over 300.. its insane

23. Stan

Stan TRIBE Member

On a slightly different note:

We should list the DVD's that seemed like a good idea at the time, but ended up not being worth the money.

#1. The Fast & The Furious

24. The canadian release of Memento

From the Ministry of the U.S. version is far superior.

25. koz

koz TRIBE Member

I buy dvds on ebay all the time. have bought around 10 already with no problems. Make sure sellers have a high rating and always try for sellers located in Canada, just makes things a little easier. Be prepared to wait 2 weeks to a month unless you use paypal.

speace.