I think I have too many DVD's

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by el presidente Highsteppa, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Gavin the Bass

Gavin the Bass TRIBE Member

I guess I only really buy dvd's that I know I'll watch over and over again, though I don't have that many, maybe a dozen or so (got our player last year)...

My vhs collection is about 200+, and I definatly want to buy alot of those movies on dvd (can't even remember when I watched a movie on vhs, so half-assed!), but again, only movies that I really enjoy, anything I'm curious about else can be rented...

And Ian, I totally agree with you, whats the fun of watching a dvd if you don't have the equiptment to enjoy it!?!?

Oh, and definatly a sound system before a big screen any day, sound design is under-appreciated by so many, but so essential to the whole movie experience...

[​IMG]

2. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

No "Brazil" Criterion edition?

tisk tisk.

3. Couldn't afford it and will be getting it soon.

From the Ministry of $120.00

Prime Minister Highsteppa

4. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

They had it at "The Worlds Biggest Book Store" for $90 a few months ago.

5. ACK!!!!

From the Ministry of fuck

6. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

I've had that since the week it came out, Criterion at its best. It's such an awesome package and well worth the $120 dollars.

Word to Terry Gilliam.

On a side note...does anyone know how much the Rushmore criterion edition is going for now?

7. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

I'm at the point where I'd rather watch a movie at home because of the better picture and sound quality. So I rarely go to movies in the theatre anymore. Unless it is something I really want to see right when it comes out.

Cheers ... Ian [​IMG]

8. dj_jake_the_snake

dj_jake_the_snake TRIBE Member

hey james why not "truck turner"? [​IMG] that movie is fly...

or not wait... why not "death race 2000" with sylvestor stallone in his young days [​IMG]

9. Fuck I forgot the Monty Python series DVD's that LRP and Galactic Phantom gave me

From the Ministry of thanks guys, I didn't forget ya.

10. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

HAHAHA

You said "DVDA"stroboy

DVDA is funny.

Would that be a "Minister of unintentional pun"?

11. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

I saw it on Ebay a few months ago. It went for around 35-40 US.

12. daddyiwantchocolate

daddyiwantchocolate TRIBE Member

About this Baraka movie.

WTF?! Why can't I find it to rent anywhere?

Dammit.

13. tommysmalls

tommysmalls TRIBE Member

I'm GETTING MY FIRST DVD PLAYER TODAY !!!

WOOP!

14. Astroboy

Astroboy Well-Known Member

I think my dvd collection is at about 355 now...I have watched every single one except for some of Sopranos season two...
    I recommend www.cnl.com
    I got a good portion of mine from there...it's a Canadian site based in Vancouver with great prices which also go down as you purschase more from them.

Astroboy out...
    ps. sound is more important that picture, but a good picture makes it so much like you're there...

15. tommysmalls

tommysmalls TRIBE Member

Try suspect video at bloor or queen - they'll have it for sure.

16. stir-fry

stir-fry TRIBE Member

if you really want cheap dvd's, keep a keen eye on the release date of them.

new releases at future shop are always like 30% off the first day.

so instead of paying like 29.99 you'll pay 20 bucks for it.
    I paid like 29 bucks for the simpsons dvd and it's now worth about 50.

future shop is really good like that

17. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

james, you just started this thread to brag, huh?

18. sugar

sugar TRIBE Member

We got our DVD player in June and haven't bought a single movie thanks to the DVD library of James [​IMG]

Thanks for your generosity--it will be returned in due time [​IMG]

19. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

And I'd also like to add, I think I had about 4 DVDs before I even owned a player [​IMG]

Here's my collection off the top of my head.

Clockwork Orange
    Natural Born Killers (Directors Cut)
    Heat
    Blade
    American Beauty
    Gladiator
    American Psycho
    Suicide Kings
    King of New York
    Se7eN
    Fight Club
    The Matrix
    Fists of Fury
    Chinese Connection
    Simpsons 1st Season DVD
    Wings of Hommenaise
    Ninja Scroll
    Ghost in the Shell
    Akira (Limited Tin Edition)
    Lain: Complete Series 4 DVDs

pr0nstar

20. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

21. tommysmalls

tommysmalls TRIBE Member

UGH - Columbia House is *the worst* ... why would anybody agree to that unless you don't have any stores near you?? (..even then .....?)

22. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

I've been thinking about it... Look at all the Collectors edition movies for only 50cents!! 4 DVD's for 50cents the next 1 for 15$!! Then you only have to buy 3 more for during 2 years. either way it's a cheap way to build your collection.
    But I dont know how they work I never joined thier CD club.

23. juice

juice TRIBE Member

I have the Rushmore Criterion Edition. Someone gave it to me as a gift. The thing just STOPS 20 minutes into the movie though. I can't skip past it either. Does anyone know how I might rememdy this? It isn't like I can return it anywhere.

24. tommysmalls

tommysmalls TRIBE Member

you get what you pay for

....those last 2 or 3 dvd's prolly cost a 'regular' price that is 20-50% what you could buy them for here.

i've never joined the cd club, cause what they don't tell you is what their regular prices are - you have to join to find out how much of a non-deal you're getting. and then you'll be getting spammed with mail for years to come. (this guy in my apt keeps getting a ridiculous amount of 'offers' from them)

if it looks too good to be true...

25. noahmintz

noahmintz Well-Known Member

When I was younger ... actually about 10 years ago I joined their CD club ... and I worked it out that after everything is said and done you save no money ... things have probablly changed ... but back then it worked out that you ended up paying about $20 a CD which was about what you paid in the store ... so I think you don't really save any money in the long run

stu