I need help!!

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by SpazGirl, Mar 13, 2002.

1. SpazGirl

SpazGirl TRIBE Member

Ok, I have a MAC & i can't seem to be able to download anything - I get a message:
    "the document could not be opened because the application program that created it could not be found. Could not find a translation extension with appropriate translators"

I click on the download button & when its complete, I get an icon on my desktop. I double click it & that's the message I get. I have always used PC's so I am in new territory.

SpazGirl

2. JayIsBored

JayIsBored TRIBE Member

what type of file is it? if it's an .exe or any other PC filetype that can't be translated by mac then you're out of luck

3. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Sounds like you need a program to deal with downloaded files (i.e. process them so they're either decoded or uncompressed or both)...

Stuffit Expander is a good do-all program that should be able to handle anything with the following extensions:

.hqx, .sit, .sea, .bin, .dmg, .img, .uu, .zip, .gz, etc... it does most compression/encoding algorythms.

You can download Stuffit from http://www.versiontracker.com - do a search there and it'll come up.

Hope this helps! What was the file, anyway?

4. joey

joey TRIBE Member

getting a mac was your first problem!

you knew someone was gonna say it...

5. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

6. doodlebug

doodlebug TRIBE Member

go team apple!

<---- loves her G4 :D

7. SpazGirl

SpazGirl TRIBE Member

I'll try - thanks - I was trying to download kazaa media.

SpazGirl

8. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

^^^^This is a work computer, right...........

Problem may be a Firewall, but I don't know shit about this stuff. They may not allow you to download off the internet for security reasons. ;)

9. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

Kazaa is not supported for Macs, so you won't be able to do anything there. was it an mp3 or an exe?

you're trying to open a file that has no application associated with the type. what OS are you running - OS9 or OSX?

--craig

10. SpazGirl

SpazGirl TRIBE Member

It was an exe I believe. It says mac OS 9.1. Oh well I probably can't download because its for PC's. that's ok. Will try something else.

Thanks,
    SpazGirl

11. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

use audiogalaxy for music if that's what you wanted the program for. download sputnix from versiontracker.com

and, yes and .exe is for windows only and can't be run on a mac. you should also upgrade to os x.

--craig