i got my iron ring!

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by vinder, Mar 7, 2002.

1. AshG

AshG Member

Congrats,

Personally(and I don't want to diminish your sense of accomplishment here), I think the whole iron ring thing is a pile of shit.

If I needed an iron ring to remind me that I should be moral and ethical and careful in engineering analysis, then something is seriously wrong.

Not only that but its outdated. How many computer programmers get iron rings? Not too many, and they're responisble for the safety and welfare of far more people than mech and civil engineers are. If its that important and powerful a symbol, why are software engineers exempt?

The whole ceremony is so ridiculous I wanted to cry.

Probably the last reason is the most compelling, but seriously, its outdated and reprehensible that these rings are divvied out to people who, by and large, won't be doing engineering work, while those who are responsible for the safety and welfare of billions of people aren't deemed to qualify.

I just think its all a bit silly.

2. mystique0217

mystique0217 TRIBE Member

congrats Vinder and shylock_one!

:)

so happy for you guys!

go team tribe go!

peace

-Kumi

3. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

That newspaper article sounded alot like me - only I decided after just one year in Engineering that I couldn't deal with it.
    I had a super high sverage in high school, and was equally good at arts and maths. I didn't exactly know what I wanted to be, so I decided to go into Engineering strictly because it'd make me the most money, and because it'd be the best fall back plan. Besides, I could always do something else in the end if I wanted to.
    The only thing is that it's so involved and intense that you really can't be half assed about it. It was too much of an investment mentally and emotionally for someone trying to get a degree "to fall back on". I cleaned up first semeester but had no life - it was the only time in my life I've really been depressed. Second semester I decided to have a life and my marks dropped.
    Now I'm in a much easier program taking courses I actually enjoy - I still don't know exactly what I want to be - but at least at the end I'll have a degree that I can fall back onto into a somewhat enjoyable job if I need to.

p.s. Way to go Vinder

4. janiecakes

janiecakes TRIBE Member

congrats vinder, that's very cool.

remember the pre-sushi iron ring conversation!

5. congrats vinder. When are you going to build me that missle I want?

From the Ministry of Hydrogen Nuke warhead please

Prime Minister Highsteppa

6. joey

joey TRIBE Member

i got a ring in my cracker jacks the other day..

mine has a whistle on it, does your?

7. Trini

Trini TRIBE Member

He's an Indie, all they build are bridges and collect EI. :D

congrats bro, it takes alot of hard work and dedication to go thru engineering.

ps. did you scope out the Darth Vadr in the basement of the Engineering building that the EngSci's built?

8. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

WOW!!!!

if you replaced engineering with compuer science and astronomy that story would be word for word about me. :( :( :( :(

crazy.

9. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

congrats vinder!

10. ADT

ADT TRIBE Member

For me that ring has nothing to do with peoples welfare..

its a symbol of alot of bullshit i went through.. and thats it.

v..abstractdatatype

11. madnezz

madnezz TRIBE Member

CONGRATS VINDER!!! :D :D :D

adios
    Laura

12. Guest

Guest Guest

nice accomplishment vinder icq me

13. Adam

Adam TRIBE Member

Hey, congrats on getting the Iron Ring. I just got mine on Tuesday night..pretty sweet.

The ceremony was really bizarre..I'm glad I had known a little bit about it before it started, or I really honestly think I would have started laughing. Very odd..

The most startling thing was the large amount of religious references..I was wondering what members of non-Christian faiths must have thought..I remember being in shock after hearing the first line of the Lord's Prayer..

adam.

14. vinder

vinder TRIBE Member

dave - i'm an INDY, we don't build bridges, we just collect e.i. :) and the comp one is today.

josh, your icq sux.

thanks again everyone, i'll make sure to take you all out when my first welfare cheque arrives :)