I am a giant bitch and workout at your gym, OR "Get your hands off of my elliptical"

Discussion in 'Girl Stuff Forum' started by Skipper, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Skipper

Skipper TRIBE Member

So as if Leah McLaren wasn't annoying enough, she goes to my gym!

What a stupid article....and the general manager providing commentary for it too?? I'd be thinking twice if I were considering joining!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070113.LEAH13/TPStory/?query=eclipse+fitness

At least I know where to find her if I want to throw my lululemon mat at her.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  2. Poot

Poot TRIBE Member

ew!

3. mayab

mayab TRIBE Member

Yes, it was ridiculous. The most stupid part was when she referred to herself as a 'hard-core' gym goer because she has been going 3 days a week. Wouldn't that just be normal? If she was going every day it would be ok to call herself that.

And it happens every year, so just plan around it. You can reserve your spinning bike in advance, so there is no need to miss out on your class. I go to Sports Clubs of Canada at King & Yonge and the new years resolutions have already faded. Gym is totally back to normal by now.

4. Skipper

Skipper TRIBE Member

The bike part made me laugh. It's first come, first serve and registration opens up when the gym opens that day.

Leah, tell your friend to get her gymmer ass out of bed and reserve her bike before anyone else can. lol

5. Interchange

Interchange TRIBE Promoter

eww and this is another reason why i refuse to join a gym.

6. rubytuesday

rubytuesday TRIBE Member

Guess she's trying to keep people from joining her gym?
    I've always found her to be annoying but wow. Must be great to troll for a living, like Rosie DiManno.

7. ila

ila TRIBE Member

uh, I've been going to the gym for 6 years, 5-6 times a week for the past 2 and I have none of those complaints about newbies, or new year's resolutionsists. Ever.

If you're going to standard gym-offered rinky dink exercise classes religiously, and you think you have some kind of gym authority because of that, you need to get your head in check. "body pump level 2" is not a sport, yo. you're not a blackbelt at spinning. chill the fuck out and hit a trail if you're going to take it that seriously.

I mean, honestly. it's like that seinfeld episode. oooh you're all training so seriously...for what? for nothing. you're going to the gym and doing second rate pilates on a mat next week too. *golf clap*

if your day is ruined because someone used your free weight and interrupted your already half-assed muscle building routine, you have larger problems than free weights.

8. daddyiwantchocolate

daddyiwantchocolate TRIBE Member

Large, like her ginormous forehead.

9. dr. claw

dr. claw Member

It takes a hack writer who specializes in "me, myself and I" literature to write an article implying that gyms are consecrated shrines where peons/pilgrims are required to kow-tow to elders and embody virtues/disciplines a la Gladiator (strength, honour, tenacity, braf). She makes it sound like going to the gym 3-4 times a week is equated with becoming a fucking Navy SEAL or something.

Someone should email her this link and/or feed her, Rebecca Eckler and Rosie DiManno to Jabba the Hut. Or better yet make her sit behind Jabba the Hut in spinning class.

10. Skipper

Skipper TRIBE Member

I'm just disappointed the gym itself was part of such bad PR! I find this gym is sort of different - more of a casual, not so uptight like other clubs.
    "Yes, I can't wait for all you new members to abandon your new years resolutions so I can continue to affiliate myself primarily with local celebrities like Leah"

11. ila

ila TRIBE Member

This article is totally doing more harm than good. I wouldn't want to join a fucking gym after reading this either.

To anyone who is all discouraged about joining up at the gym after reading this, this so is NOT the case at most places. Over the years, I've worked out at The Y, Premier, Bally, U of T and Goodlife and like, anyone prancing all around the locker room like they know somebody spouting out bullshit like, "you gotta earn respect as a gymmer before you're really working out" would pretty much creep everyone in the place the fuck out.

Use whatever fucking bike you want, you're all paying the same price to be there. Anyone so hung up on their exercise class routines that they're going to fight you after the ten minute cooldown for taking bike number 2 needs to have their bike stolen anyway.

Get to the gym, do your thing. Be as respectful as you are anywhere else and if you have questions about machines and etiquette and crap, just ask the people around you who don't look too busy.

I don't mind taking 5 seconds to show someone how to use an elliptical, but I do mind waiting for some chatty naked regular to stop the towel show in front of my locker so I can leave. Socialize elsewhere, "gymmers".

/rant.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  12. KiX

KiX TRIBE Member

mahaha

13. Poot

Poot TRIBE Member

You should say something to management. It's such bad PR. And as commented above, I'd TOTALLY not want to join a gym after reading this.

14. Flashy_McFlash

Flashy_McFlash Well-Known Member

<3 <3 <3 <3

15. Temper Tantrum

Temper Tantrum TRIBE Member

LOL or 'hardcores as we like to call ourselves'

WHO HERE CALLS THEMSELVES A HARDCORE?

because i will mock you.

16. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

"Hardcores" is actually a derogatory word in my gym vernacular. I reserve it for the people who I project to have the exact same feelings as the author of this article. They feel an ownership of the gym, usually spending more time chatting with their gym buddies while using shit-ass form. They are the people who are chumming it up with the instructor like they are best friends. Once you have been deemed "hardcore", you lose all respect from me.

17. Skipper

Skipper TRIBE Member

My boss knows the owner of both locations as he works out at the eglinton one - maybe I'll pass this along.

18. Flashy_McFlash

Flashy_McFlash Well-Known Member

You should...Maybe they'll revoke her membership. God, what I wouldn't pay to see that.

19. Lil'Timmy

Lil'Timmy TRIBE Promoter

This the dumbest thing I've ever ever read. WOW.

You think it's painful going to spin class for the first time in 18 months? You should try being the one on the bike behind you. Now that's scary.

I have urged the management at my gym (Eclipse Fitness on College Street in downtown Toronto) to institute a mandatory three-hour "how to go to the gym" seminar before giving new members their cards, but, alas, no dice. Instead, I've resigned myself to writing the following gym-going pointers for the uninitiated. Please read and follow these instructions before joining any gym -- especially if it's mine.

I've been spinning for many months, and sure there's a bike I like, but if someone takes it..ok, I'll take another one! Of course there are others who like the bike, and many times have I walked in, put my towel on there so I can go change and hear:
    Her-"Excuse me that's my bike"
    Me-"Umm, I don't see your name printed on there"
    "Yeah but I always use it, and I'm here everyday"
    "Good for you, I got her first, there's plenty of other bikes"
    "Look, you don't get it, I only spin on this bike, it's mine"
    "No, you don't get it, I got here before you..simple. If you had asked nicely and not turned into a grade a bitch and demanded the bike like you're the friggin queen of cycling, then I probably would have given it to you."

Regardless, she back'd off. A few weeks later, I got the bike again. She came in, saw me on the bike and went to another one. Theeen the next week, same thing, but this time she came up, apologized for a being a deevah...I still didn't give her the bike.

Im tight with 1 or 2 of the instructors, but I don't complain about little shit or bitch about people on a bike that I regularly use. New members have every right to be in a spin class as much as I do.

20. Lil'Timmy

Lil'Timmy TRIBE Promoter

P.s. sarah if you see her, and can you just slap her upside the head and tell her Timmy thinks she's a moron

thanks.

21. Skipper

Skipper TRIBE Member

There are a lot of really anal retentive people who do spinning.
    Do you ever see anyone get visibly annoyed when a new person to the class takes their yoga spot? Noooo....

I sent my boss the link, but I would not be surprised if he agreed with the whole blurb about spinning. I think he might be one of *them*

22. Lil'Timmy

Lil'Timmy TRIBE Promoter

my best friend Erika is like that woman. If something goes wrong or if the instructor doesnt do something or something, she gets anal. She's been spinning for years constantly at Yonge/St Clair Goodlife, so yeah, she has that mentality of being a "hardcore". Many times I've walked away or just told her to shut up because she complains.

It's embarassing. I've also written a letter to the editor of the globe over this, this woman writing is a moran.

23. Poot

Poot TRIBE Member

um.....

24. Skipper

Skipper TRIBE Member

The link to the globe and mail article.

25. Poot

Poot TRIBE Member

ooooh! okay. omg - I thought you meant to this page!