1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

History of....

Discussion in 'Techno Room' started by Simplistik, Dec 7, 2001.

1. Simplistik

Simplistik TRIBE Member

Techno (of course)
    Has anyone read the book, Techno Rebels by Dan Sicko?
    If not it's highly recommended for an overview of how Techno came about and what influenced it.

I was just wondering if there were any other good books about Techno's history that any of you may have heard of or read?

Peace

2. derek

derek TRIBE Member

Can't really help you out, but thanks for the info. I got a new book on my xmas wish list.

Bev May (partially responsible for the Ritual parties) was writing a book on the evolution of underground dance music. I know she had most of it done, and samples online; I think she was still looking for a publisher last time I looked.

Try getting to the Ritual site through www.techno.ca; I think there's a link to her book on the Ritual site.

I often thought about starting my own book. Anyone wanna collaborate?

Peace,

Derek

3. Time

Time TRIBE Promoter

There's also 'The Rough Guide to Techno'. More of a handbook, or mini techno dictionary, with bio's/partial discog. on quite a few artists.

I can't wait for Bev's book (all i remember is that it has the words 'Jazz' and 'Techno' in it's title). Hope she finds someone who's interested in publishing it soon!

Also, check out some of Ed Luna's work. He's released a bunch of stuff online. Go to: http://www.ele-mental.org
    Check out his pamphlet entitled 'Think' + i believe there are a few other articles. Very heady stuff!

Cheers!

G

4. BigBadBaldy

BigBadBaldy TRIBE Member

"Techno Rebels" KICKS ASSSSSSSSSSSS.

If anyone in this forum has not read it, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

BBB.

If anyone would like to borrow it, let me know.

5. d.code

d.code TRIBE Member

Here Here BBB!

6. Tech_Head_Rob

Tech_Head_Rob TRIBE Member

>bumps d.code out of the way<...no here! here! i'm open!

actually since i live in MTL, it'd be pretty hard for me to borrow, but BBB where'd you get your copy? would it be so simple as to give ol' Chapters a call and order me in a copy...?

7. d.code

d.code TRIBE Member

Dude-Ill so fight you for it.

8. BigBadBaldy

BigBadBaldy TRIBE Member

I got my copy at Pages on Queen St in Toronto, but I think it's a pretty easy book to get a hold of, just check your local bookstore under "music".

BBB.

So, who gets it first?

9. Technocratic Girl

Technocratic Girl TRIBE Member

Check out:
    "This is not a rave" by Tara McCal- Grad of McGill Communications program. It is a very well researched and written book- about the history of rave culture.
    It is not cheesy- she's interviewed some top people in all scenes- LA, Toronto, NYC, etc.
    Including from Toronto Ian (Fukhouse) and Beverly May...
    It talks about where 'rave is going' and the idea that ppl don't like to call techno events "raves" anymore. You'll probably know everything in the book already, but it is so interesting to see it being written about in the cultural study context- and it brought back lots of memories for me!

Bev's book was called Future Jazz- but I think she had to change the title after another person was in the process of publishing a book w./ that title- not about techno- about jazz!

In terms of other cultural works of interest on the techno dj subject- I would recommend highly Spinsters the documentary about female djs! It's super... and if you like Misstress Barbara it's good 2!

10. tommysmalls

tommysmalls TRIBE Member

i thought techno rebels was 'ok' - nothing that i would shit my pants over, but a good resource nonetheless.

11. Tech_Head_Rob

Tech_Head_Rob TRIBE Member

Big up the McGill massive! bwahahaha [​IMG]

I'm 6'5, pushin' 200 pounds and i work out on a daily basis...bring it. [​IMG]

12. Blaise

Blaise TRIBE Member

Techno Rebels is not bad.

Mireille Silcott (from Montreal) has written a few books on "electronic" music (damn, I hat that catch-all term). I've read one of them, called Rave America. I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10. However, I think one of her other books is very good, but the title escapes me.

Hope that helps.

13. Technocratic Girl

Technocratic Girl TRIBE Member

Thanks Blaise!- good info. [​IMG]
    Here's what I found:

For the last three years, the sale of Technics 1200 turntables (used by DJs in clubs) have outstripped those of electric guitars. Raves have gone from parties involving a few hundred people to commercially sponsored festivals drawing tens of thousands of fans. Rave America is the first book devoted to this massive phenomenon. Through hundreds of interviews with DJs, recording artists, producers, promoters, drug lords, club celebrities, and nightworld casualties, this book takes readers into the deepest recesses of the electronic dance culture, uncovering secrets and stories never before seen in print.

Rave America begins with a whirlwind tour of North American club culture in the 70s and 80s, then plunges into the diverse sounds, sights, and histories of some of the most vital rave territories: the deafening walls of sound of DJ Frankie Bones’s earliest New York Storm raves; the acid-fuelled dreams of San Francisco’s hippiefied Full Moon beach parties; Florida’s DJ Icey and his factions of teenage breakdancers on Ecstasy; the dark Satanic techno rituals of the Midwest’s Drop Bass Network; the twelve-hour post-aids “muscle raves” of the cross-country gay circuit parties. Rave America examines both the dreams and nightmares of a pre-millennium continent after dark.

Written by noted music critic and dedicated club culturist Mireille Silcott, Rave America: Inside Club Culture will appeal to everyone from the most jaded scenester, to those who just want to uncover a bit of nighttime drama. A definite must for anyone who’s ever wondered what’s been lurking beneath the gleam of this decade’s dance floors.

MIREILLE SILCOTT is the co-author of On E: A Book About Ecstasy, forthcoming from Omnibus Press. She is the former music editor of the Montreal Mirror and has covered the dance music scene for MuchMusic, the CBC, and Global television networks.

$16.95
    188 pages
    5½ x 8¼ inches, paper
    26 color photos
    ISBN 1-55022-383-6

November 1999

14. chicom

chicom TRIBE Member

Generation Ecstasy... I forget who it's by

I think the Bev' May book is called Future Jazz

15. terrawrist III

terrawrist III TRIBE Member

Ive heard the "techno" story a hundred times from different stories...but it is still interesting because it does not seem like it can be true because of it's massive influence in UK.

If you know somebody who thinks detriot is all about mo-town and eminem or Kid rock,then bring them up to speed on whats really goin' on!

16. Guest

Guest Guest

u could check for a book called Altered States ....its about the history of the acid house movement... i thought it was written and researched well...has bits from some of the top heads in the scene .. good reading material foe sure!

17. erk

erk TRIBE Member

Thought "Techno Rebels" was a good resource -- good list of classic tracks at the back too. Also liked the movie "Modulatons" a while back. May be more of a primer for the uninitiated, but fun al the same.

18. BigBadBaldy

BigBadBaldy TRIBE Member

No one here is saying "Techno Rebels" or any other book or film is THE resouce for knowing all about techno, but they are definitely good reference points, and "Techno Rebels" does go into a bit of the history of the Detroit scene which I found to be especially intriguing, eg the mid to late 80's stuff with the crazy Charivari parties, etc. It's good to know where shit comes from.

BBB.

Fuk. I'm hung and can't rememeber words, or how to spell them for that matter. Is that bad? Ooops, at least I just rememebered I have to meet my Mom for lunch half way across town in 23 minutes. Bye.

19. Straight Up D Shit

Straight Up D Shit TRIBE Member

Excellent book, not only on techno, but on all electronic music, this book made me realize how interrelated most scenes are and how much they borrow from each other, i.e. Ed Rush & Optical borrowed a bass line from Kevin Saunderson, distorted it, gave it a break beat and single handedly replaced jungle with tech step d&b.

20. The Truth

The Truth TRIBE Member

The "Reece" Bassline which is now widespread in DnB was of course named after Kevin "Master Reece" Saunderson.