1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

headphones question #2958376

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by sohaness, Jan 15, 2002.

1. sohaness

sohaness TRIBE Member

I’m looking at getting a new pair of headphones, and want to see what you guys would recommend...

I want something that wont leak sound because I’m gonna be using these at work, and I like to listen to my music kind of loud. Also, they will mainly be connected to my computer, but I will also be using them with my minidisc player, so I don’t want something that requires some sort of headphone amp.

One last thing, I need to get them online, preferably from a U.S vendor because im in a half bit town in Oregon…

Oh yeah, in terms of price, im willing to pay that little extra if it means quality!

Thanks!
    steve.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

If yo're only using them in your computer and minidisc, I'd say go with Sony Mdr-500v's. They cost about a hundred canadian. and they're more than loud enough for that kind of use.

3. noahmintz

noahmintz TRIBE Member

Agreed ... those are definately some nice headphones

stu

4. sohaness

sohaness TRIBE Member

how's the bass response with those puppies?
    and what about sound leakage?

steve.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

for $100 they're great headphones.
    trust

6. Viceroy

Viceroy TRIBE Member

You will never get one straight reply asking this question. I suggest that you go to a store that lets you try them on. Pick the one's that feel the best. Hopefully that store will let you listen to something on them as well...

Peace,
    Steve

7. Bass-Invader

Bass-Invader TRIBE Member

for 130 you can get the mdr 7505s
    they are pretty good too, solid true sound. not the loudest of the bunch, but the sound is clear and not augmented in any way by the cups.

8. djazonic

djazonic TRIBE Member

The Sennheiser HD25 is the best headphone around in my opinion.... for the best price, try this: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1320948611

i picked up a pair of the Sony 700's off there last year for $125CDN, and note, you are not bidding on just one pair, there are 10 pairs, so unless over 10 people bid for them youll get them at the price listed...

Ryan
    djazonic

9. sohaness

sohaness TRIBE Member

so i've been reading reviews of the sony v500's and they dont sound too good...the v600's on the other hand have better reviews, so i'm wondering, if i should pick up the 600's instead.

are the 600's suitable for portable cd/md players?

steve.

10. Special K

Special K TRIBE Member

ughhhhhh i HAD the sony 500's
    i hated them the earcup thingy would always pop out of place! When I had them i thought the sound was ok on them, but compared to the 700's which I have now they SUCK! If you have a little more money to spend go for the 700's.
    Pricier but waaaaaaay better!
    I love mine to death!

11. sohaness

sohaness TRIBE Member

i've read that the 700's are not really that good for use on portables...they are more suited for dj's. hence the 'DJ' letters in the model number. im willing to spend the extra for the 700's if they will be good on my minidisc player and my computer...what do you think?

and unfortunately, i cant make it to a store to try on the different headphones. i dont think this town has an electronics store, let alone one that would carry the 700's or 600's...

steve.

12. sohaness

sohaness TRIBE Member

btw, SpecialK, are you in Vancouver? or am i thinking of someone else. i'm in Oregon, and coming up to vancouver next weekend for the leaf game, msg me on icq 296585.

if this is the wrong person, then woops...

steve.

13. Gibbon

Gibbon TRIBE Member

Well a few points:

a) In the grand scheme of the headphone world, all the sony ones suck. I own the 500s and I know damn well there's far far better headphones out there. My gfs akg phones sound vastly better for about the same price.. but I would've never known except we literally tried 200 pairs of headphones in a store in Tokyo and she picked out the ones that sounded best to *her ears*.

b) The sony 500s, 700s etc are designed for djing.. meaning they can handle high power output without damage.. something like 3 watts for the 700s. That's a ridiculous volume.. it would blow your head off. At the same time, it means they can't be drive by a weak single very well.. ie. from a minidisc player. I tried and was disappointed. Even at full volume the signal isn't particular strong. You could always make a portable headphone amp or buy one but that gets a little more complicated.

Better to find ones designed to work with portables, or ones sensitive enough to do so. I'm kinda tired right now so I can't think of any offhand. Check out headwize.com, they have lots of info on that stuff.

Peter