1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Hard Drive Issues

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by JayBrain, Apr 2, 2002.

1. JayBrain

JayBrain TRIBE Member

Well for some reason my computer when booting up and detecting my hard drives I got a message:
    "Hard Drive Failure is Immenent, please back up your drive and replace it" Or something like that.. so all morning I've been burning CD of my hard drive.. I'm freaked.. is this message from my BIOS and it's detected that my hard drive will soon fail because it's weak? or is this a virus on my computer fucking with me?
    I've never heard of a Hard Drive failure detection.. I though it was like if she's gunna go.. she goes.. no pre warning.

2. MalGlo

MalGlo TRIBE Member

You probably have the S.M.A.R.T. function in your bios enabled which attempts to detect any possible failures pending with your harddrive.. its not an absolute science but its a good time to make a backup :)

do you have norton? run a thorough disk doctor test on your machine

Chow,

Dave

3. Deus

Deus TRIBE Member

I had the same warning a while ago, but do I listen to my computer? Nope. I lost everything. Most horrible thing in the world. I'm just booting once, and there is no partition on my drive. Everything gone. Two years of work.

4. JayBrain

JayBrain TRIBE Member

well.. I figured it out.. my Hard Drive is fucked.. I spent a couple hours today diagnosing the thing and at least it's still under warantee from Maxtor. I know what I did to it.. I burnt it out making music on it.. the heads get alot of use running music making programs all at multi-track sounds running at once.. lol.. oh well I guess Maxtor wont cut it.. I need a better hard drive that wont burn out.

5. cdp

cdp TRIBE Member

Simultaneously running multiple tracks shouldn't damage a hard drive... if that's what was meant by the above post. The application would just give you a "too many tracks running" type message when hd performance is insufficient for the track count you require.

c.harles

6. Dr. Grinch

Dr. Grinch TRIBE Member

Better than burning it would be ghosting it to a new drive.. no hassles restoring data..
    Maxtor make good drives, I wouldn't slag them really.. Pretty good products..
    If you're that concerned about quality go SCSI.. Pick up a seagate Cheetah and you'll have no issues..

7. Deus

Deus TRIBE Member

I don't think that should be a problem. A 7200rpm should be plenty to run loads of tracks.

8. JayBrain

JayBrain TRIBE Member

see.. I'm a cheap ass... 5400 rpm.. lol.. well.. time to ugrade

9. Cameron

Cameron TRIBE Member

I'll bet the size of your hard drive is making the processor overheat.

Fresh!
    [​IMG]

10. JayBrain

JayBrain TRIBE Member

Last edited: Apr 3, 2002