Hamilton people...

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by sentence, Feb 28, 2002.

1. sentence

sentence TRIBE Promoter

I'll be at the rude native tonight. Should be a good time and you cant really go wrong 'cause it's free to get in. I really like this venue for house music. Hopefully it will look as good as it did for the last party. Apparently it's a fur theme tonight. Should be good for a thursday in Hamilton.

2. ADT

ADT TRIBE Member

Techno, Drum'n'Bass, House,Hip-Hop this weekend -

Android + others..

check it in upcoming events...

v..abstractdatatype

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Come find me tonight.

Uh, I'm the guy in the pic. :D

Attached Files:

4. Boo

Boo TRIBE Member

I couldn't agree more. I used to go to fever every friday. I'm not a huge fan of breaks (I don't dislike them or anything) but there are big name breaks DJ's. But every week its breaks, and the house room is dead.

Drum n' Bass is a popular genre everywhere but Hamilton it seems.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

And I totally agree with your previous post too Stormshadow.

The only problem with Home is that it varies a lot music wise. Its not a solely electronic club like Fever. I went there one friday and it was live to air on WBLK - I was the only white guy there and left in 10 mins. Rap and R&B only :D

And ya... casbah is a cool venue I'll admit :)

5. Boo

Boo TRIBE Member

Yeah that would be cool allright. I hear about other uni's with cool nights like this but never Mac :(

6. BreakzBroad

BreakzBroad Well-Known Member

point taken. i guess i have a pretty biased vote. :) Stick me in a room with breakz, funky breakz, same dj's, i am still in heaven.

and boo, i didn't know u lived in Hamilton.?

*jen*

7. -Rudebwoy_Chin-

-Rudebwoy_Chin- TRIBE Member

As far as locals go. I would suggest maybe bringing in Marcus. He's definitely my favourite Toronto DJ as far as D'nB. Maybe have him spin a UKG set too.

take it eaze.

8. joey

joey TRIBE Member

okay how about this, the next person to say something about hamilton is gonna get a punch in the liver!

fuck you, downtown toronto smells ten times worse then Hamilton!

what you shoudl do for bringing people in is pay attention to what other people are bringing to toronto and what not, and if you split the cost to bring in a big name it wont be that much and then we all wont have to trek to toronto

josh are you going for sure tonight?
    call me cell later if you are... i feel like dirnking a lot

9. joey

joey TRIBE Member

oh and if there is one thing we DON'T need is more fucking jungle and dnb

get that shit out of here already :mad:

10. Stormshadow

Stormshadow TRIBE Member

Uh...we were just talking about how there's a lack of dnb here...so what are you going on about?

11. joey

joey TRIBE Member

im going on about how dnb is ass!

one dnb dj is one too many

12. Stormshadow

Stormshadow TRIBE Member

That's nice.

13. fuzzy

fuzzy TRIBE Member

JOEY only speaks for JOEY

Richard

14. 905IVE Crew

905IVE Crew TRIBE Promoter

Well, all of these points are well taken and everyone has an opinion. Heres mine:

We do breaks in the lounge at Fever every week because it works, the crowd is great and the numbers are there no matter who is playing.

The main room suffers on and off, and works on and off. People say they wanna see Paul Walker, Keny Glasgow, Myka, Stretch & hooker...hell we've had them all. When we bring in big names , John Selway, Lafleche, Jez Ansellit always works, but theres just not enough people willing to support this style weekly on a resident dj basis. And if the names were big every week, every one would bitch that the cover was to high. You can't have your cake and eat it too....not yet at least!

Some want Jungle/D'nB but there is no way there are enough people in this city into it that could support a weekly event like that at a place like Fever, however a smaller venue with lower overhead like Briscoe's place might do well.

This week there is jungle/d'nb in ther main room at Fever, but how many of you complainers will actually come out and support?
    You will just say, i didn't know, it wasn't promoted well. Bullshit, flyers are everywhere, posts are on all the boards etc. If it goes alright this Friday, doesn't even have to be good, just alright, i can guarantee you it will happen again soon enough.

Bottomline, everyone wants this style of music and that type of venue, and then they expect the promoter to pull it all together and risk a shitload, only to have the"hardcore" partiers show up every "now and then".

SUPPORT WHAT YOU HAVE RIGHT NOW AND HELP IT GROW INTO BIGGER AND BETTER THINGS!!!

If the other genres came together in H-Town and supported the nights the promoters do for them, even if they are far and few between right now, and the supporters had half the interest in these nights that the Hamilton breaks crowd has, it would work, and I would be the first guy to throw those parties, i would risk it just to see the scene grow. But as of right now, I've already risked it, and so have others, only to loose.

Theres ADT's Negative Space events, theres Glasweigian Underground events, theres Cyrrus nights, there is Home nights, theres the Rude Lounge, theres Doors Pub, theres UNC events, theres Backbreaker events, theres Fever's weekly lineup and theres our 905IVE events. And we all work our asses off to make things come together for you. I think Hamilton is pretty damn well off as far as parties go, its too bad not enough people see it that way.

Brent
    ^^^^^ still loving you all though!

15. LiLy

LiLy TRIBE Member

yes yes there is jungle in steel town
    URBAN NINJA CREW" for info check
    www.urban-ninjacrew.gq.nu
    they have had MARCUS , ILLFINGAZ, MARLEY MARL

but yeah the 905ive and backbreakers crews are throwing the shizznits of partys......keep up the good work

lates adam

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Brent, you raise valid points. Also, it's gruntwork like posting messages like yours which shake people up and make them realize a scene is only as strong as its supporters.

The two biggest problems I see with Hamilton's scene are this:

1) It has to compete with Toronto.

Toronto's scene can pretty much wipe Hamilton's ass in every aspect, and that's the reason I spend most of my weekends there. If Hamilton wants to keep the partiers in the city, or better yet, pull them in from Toronto, it has to find its niche. That's kinda what the breaks thing is about. I'd say the breaks scene in this city is on par with Toronto. If we focus on what we're good at, the scene grows, and other genres can fill the gaps.

2) Grassroots works best in creating a scene.

I'm not a promoter, so take this as an amateur opinion, but from what I've seen, the nights that succeed do it on merit of the vibe. If you can create that with limited resources, you're ahead of the game. I think the Glaswegian Underground collective is really good at this. They've got the radio going on CFMU, their flyers are handed out in a strategic way and they have good connections (or so it seems). You have to occasionally pay for big name DJs, which you've done, they've done, and everyone has done. It's all about having a space that kids can call home. (not a cheesy reference, trust me)

I saw Mike from Larger Events throw his balls to the wind last year, as he consistently pulled in great DJs, but besides the really good Mark Scaife show at the Casbah, (which had a good turnout, sound setup, decor and lights), and the Paul Walker show, the other events failed cuz nobody came out.

We've got to differentiate the Hamilton scene, and come together for the good of everybody.

Not sure why I'm writing...cuz I don't really have anything to do with it, but that's just how I see it as a passive observer.

17. G-FrEsH

G-FrEsH TRIBE Promoter

This is soo true...
    ive haven't been goin to Toronto lately cuz i know that every Friday at Fever theres always sumone good and i rarely go out for 2 days in a row.. ...
    Why would i go all the way to toronto and see Dave Saddler or Chu spin when i can take a 5 mins Drive and see them there for like 5 or 10 bucks... Plus to see my bud Jonny ( Funk N' Style )
    play at Fever is always a pleasure for me to listen..
    along wit Dj Magnum and Tech-Tonique all at fever..
    I need nowhere else to have fun on a Friday..
    And as far as who do i want to see come to Hamilton..
    I dun have to ask cuz the boy for BacKBreakerS and 905
    bring in awesome djs everyweek...
    But the best would have to be Josh da Funky one and Rectangle..
    Can't wait for that to come....
    EEEEEKKKK !!!!

DAve.......

18. Stormshadow

Stormshadow TRIBE Member

905 Crew, you seem to think this was a thread bashing your company or something?
    People were just giving ideas to a new promoter in town.
    Nobody said Fever on Fridays sucks. You guys throw wicked parties...some of the best I've been too. And nobody is putting down your guys hard work. Respect.

But...

Sorry, but making a post 5 days before a party isn't that good of promotion. If it was a breaks headliner coming in, you guys would have posted it 2 weeks ago.
    And for the past two days, I asked about 10 people if they're coming out to Fever to hear some DnB on Friday...and none of them had heard anything about it. I haven't seen a flyer, and neither have they. So don't get mad and preach at people for not supporting.

But I'm not here to bitch, you guys have a great company.
    I'd be more than willing to hand out flyers at MAC for you guys, so those people with know next time.

19. ADT

ADT TRIBE Member

Partying in hamilton seems to be more about the people than the djs anyway..

with our parties, it seems that no matter who week book, bigger or smaller..

more or less the same 100 hardcore fans of us show up.. plus another rotating 50 depending on the genre of the headliner..

these people come because they know us, and like us.. and know are parties are always good..

905 doesnt get nearly the turnout they deserve for most of their events..

major respect though for the job they do..

thats the thing with promoting.. it doesnt matter how hard you work, once you get past the level where you can at least remember the names of the people who attend you parties..

then its all about whos on the flyer..

and the support just isnt there for the most part..

v..abstractdatatype

ps. I love partying in Hamilton and I love the Hamilton crew.. U ROCK =D

20. BreakzBroad

well 905ives czech event had an insanely great turn-out!! not to mention that it will be rammed to the tits for their rectangle and josh da funky1 event, along with backbreakers.

As for 'whose on the flyer'.......once again, i can always count on backbreakers and 905ive to bring in some serious talent that will tickle my fancies.:D

No other company has impressed me with their dj line-ups, within hamilton. So if your party isn't rammed for a great 'headliner' to which u think is amazing- its not always certain that others will have the same views or musical taste. But then again, i am breakz biased :D

*jen*

21. choosey

choosey TRIBE Member

Whats up, im really new to the scene, but i got to say that friday nights at fever have been an amazing time. i saw czech and i danced my ass off. Hey i think i am going to the rude lounge tonight, can anyone tell me what to expect??
    (((ReN)))

22. G-FrEsH

G-FrEsH TRIBE Promoter

I can't really remember but i think i saw flyers bein handed outside at the bittersweet party....
    sumone confirm this for me..

DAve....

23. BreakzBroad

not to pick on yea dave, but how much do u go out to parties right now??? Cuz everywhere i am, there's constantly flyers for fever being handed out. I dunno, maybe u just chose not to take all the little flyers when u r leaving, or maybe u have not been out places to receive these flyers...........

i mean, flyers for rectangle (sorry to mention this party for the 10th time- im a little excited :D) were started being handed out last week!!! and this party is april 5th. how much notice would u like??

*jen*

24. Uncle Bobby

Uncle Bobby TRIBE Promoter

Hamilton smells like teen spirit. I agree that the east end is especially bad...fungusNsmell.

UB.

25. dawndalon

dawndalon TRIBE Promoter

"okay how about this, the next person to say something about hamilton is gonna get a punch in the liver!"
    Joey
    ----Thank you!!! I wanted to say the same thing!
    -D.