Hamilton people...

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by sentence, Feb 28, 2002.

1. sentence

sentence TRIBE Promoter

Who would you like to see come to Hamilton to play? Keep in mind that the really big names are probably unlikely. Think more of dj's of moderate status and even mention your local favourites.

2. noahmintz

noahmintz Well-Known Member

Hamilton smells funny ...
    I heard the Pic closed down ... is this true?

stu

3. Boo

Boo TRIBE Member

I thought this thread was going to be about Hamilton People in general :D Now that could be a topic.

And yes Hamilton smells funny, if you think ass is funny....

But ya, any decent jungle DJ would be nice even Toronto locals and I'd be happy. Hamilton only plays breaks and house, house and breaks. It drives me loopy.

4. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

^^^ It's because they all think their thugs.

5. sentence

sentence TRIBE Promoter

seriously though, i'd like to know who people are anxious to see.

6. Stormshadow

Stormshadow TRIBE Member

sentence, who do you promote for and what venue do you plan on using?
    Just wondering.

Anyways, like Boo said...we need some quality drum n' bass in this city. I'm also damn sick of breaks.
    If you brought in someone like Lush, I'd be more than happy. And the heads would come out for that. Sniper would be good as well...haven't seen him here since the Syndicate days.

Is there a certain kind of music you want to have here? Because I could give a list for house and techno.
    And could you give an example of a "moderate status" DJ?

PS - Hamilton doesn't smell...only the east end does (haha Johnny).

7. sentence

sentence TRIBE Promoter

i've recently returned to hamilton after spending a couple of years in montreal. i promoted there under the name fakesleep.
    i've generally focused on house music but being back in hamilton has reminded me that there is still a jungle scene (contrary to popular belief in montreal) so i'm not opposed to the idea of bringing in a jungle dj. as far as venues go, i think the recent parties at casbah have been solid and the monthly parties at rude lounge have potential (though i dont think that jungle would work well at rude). and there is also pepperjacks and fever depending on the style of music and the size of the potential crowd.
    when i say 'moderate status', i mean that we probably couldn't afford a guy like mark farina or derrick carter.

folks, post your lists of any genre. i think theres room for all of it in the hammer.

8. fuzzy

fuzzy TRIBE Member

This is unrealistic but....
    Jon B @ PepperJacks!!!

Mind you I think people will travel far to see him. And if they did and they saw how nice PepperJacks is who know what that could set up???

Richard

9. funkNstyle

funkNstyle Well-Known Member

Youu guys need to check your facts.

Theres 2 WEEKLY jungle nites kickin in hamilton.
    so dont say thei's no jungle.

KINETIC and RYAN RUCKUS are at FEVER friday nite

hehe

Jonny

10. John_e_Blaze

John_e_Blaze TRIBE Member

How much is cover?

John E BLaZe

11. BreakzBroad

BreakzBroad Well-Known Member

I'm assuming $10 b4 midnight, maybe 15$ after??? I dunno, somewhere around that price range :D

oh, and sentence- if ur thinking doing a night at fever, friday's are taken, and so are saturdays.

AND not to mention- fever always brings in the sickest dj's from all over. take dj rectangle, freq nasty, hyper, josh da funky1!! fever got it goin' on. so bigtime dj's in hamilton are never out of the question.
    :)

*jen*

12. Stormshadow

Stormshadow TRIBE Member

Of course there's dnb at Fever the one week I can't be there Bloody 'ell!!
    Fever should really have drum n' bass with breaks atleast once a month...people will come. Throwing in jungle once every few months just doesn't cut it...I'm sure most people won't even know that Kinetic and Ruckus are going to be there this week. And we all know that the house room isn't bring in the numbers (like 10 people there for Stretch & Hooker? That's sad).
    Jonny, I know there's jungle going on in the city, but most of us want quality...a nice venue, with good DJ's.

Anyways, sentence I like your venue ideas. And I think that drum n' bass could work at the nicer venues. Someone like Lush could play a vocally set, and it would bring people out. Also, upandcomers like Doublecross and Velocity also play the vocally, funkier stuff which would be great for a nice venue.

As for house, someone like Deeno from Guelph plays deep house, which would be a nice change. And there's always the faithfulls from T.O. like Stretch & Hooker and Myka. Even a lot of people on this board spin house. If you want more of the techno tip, Kenny Glasgow's a favourite, and The Dukes are great up-and-comers.
    I really suggest going with some locals from Ontario because we have the talent and it doesn't cost as much as bringing in out-of-towners. If you really want to bring bigger names in, I think someone like Halo or Vitamin D would be great.
    My 2 cents.

btw sentence, do you have an e-mail address?

13. dawndalon

dawndalon TRIBE Promoter

A big dj is NOT unlikely. Hamilton has been throwing down some serious parties.
    -D.

14. quantumdj

quantumdj TRIBE Member

I would love to see Dj Brian.

For a demo, go to a music store and check out one of the three releases in the Hardesertrance series. My favourite is hardesertrance2.

He just moved to Victoria, BC a while ago from L.A., so you dont have to worry about cross border hassles.

His booking agent is 'Til Dawn. www.tildawn.com (323)848-8702.

Thank you.

15. C-NiCE

C-NiCE TRIBE Promoter

Sentence, if you're looking for venues, check out Urban Underground, right below the Border. I played there once back in October and they have a great soundsystem, nice pool tables, good dance floor/chill area and hot bartenders. They just don't get the promoter support that it needs. Seriously, this place has potential. Also The Hudson on Main st. is anothter good spot. Ahh, good old Hamilton, always playing catch up to the big smoke. There is so much potential in hamilton to have a thriving scene but things just never really caught on. Maybe it's time now? Good luck man.

Chris

16. BreakzBroad

BreakzBroad Well-Known Member

I don't get this thread. Are u ppl. completely oblivious of how wikkid hamilton is right now???

fever is the sickest place to be on a friday!! It's all about the great times there, and it gets a nice decent sized crowd, ppl. coming from st.catherines, brantford, hamilton, t.o, guelp, kitchener, every week!!

bottom line is- if u are smart and would like ur night to succeed, i highly suggest u do it on a saturday. :D

*jen*

17. sentence

sentence TRIBE Promoter

Urban Underground is nice but i'm reluctant to give the Border any business. I cant stand that place. Hudson is also great but Dean (the owner) doesn't understand the concept of having a promoter involved with his bar. He wants all the bar sales AND 50% of the door which doesn't leave much room to pay the dj's. I haven't ruled either of them out though. I'd also like to do parties at different venues to keep the venues from getting stale (which seems to happen pretty quickly in Hamilton).

18. fuzzy

fuzzy TRIBE Member

I like what this Stormshadow guy has to say! :)

Richard

19. sentence

sentence TRIBE Promoter

I agree fuzzy

20. quantumdj

quantumdj TRIBE Member

As for venues, Home on ferguson st. is an ok place.

21. Guest

Guest Guest

I agree on both fronts. UU is too big for that intimate feel I like about Hamilton parties, and Hudson is just not a club. It's a swank bar. I used to work there a few years ago, and when it started, it was wicked - Ivana Santilli played, you'd know everyone, good times. But now it's lost that edge it had. meh. Some of it had to do with the departure of Ken, the old owner - he let the promotors run the show. Dean and George are nice guys, but they're not in it for anything beyond the money.

I maintain what I keep saying: Go with the Casbah. Briscoe is a great guy, the size is perfect, good circulation, and it brings out a fantastic crowd. Every time I've been there, the vibe's been spot on. Not to mention, it's 1 block from my apartment. :)

22. fuzzy

fuzzy TRIBE Member

I don't agree
    The building is fine
    But alot of the people that go there are GROSS
    And I used to gross people

Richard

23. Stormshadow

Stormshadow TRIBE Member

Yah, it is a great place...if you're a breaker, and all your friends are breakers, and you're friends with the promoters.
    We need some diversity.

PS - add Paul Walker to my list. He always lays it down hard, and usually attracts a good size crowd in Hamilton.

24. fuzzy

fuzzy TRIBE Member

HEY!
    What about useing the Arnie at Mohawk or the soon to be Opened McMaster student center?

Richard

25. Guest

Guest Guest

Along the Hamilton tip - is anyone going to see/hear Matt C tonight at the Rude Native?