1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Gym etiquette and general info.

Discussion in 'Guys Stuff Forum' started by OTIS, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

not sure what Cressey videos I posted regarding shoulder, but this is a must-read for any mobility issues

that could be overwhelming as there are hundreds of posts, but you can search for shoulder work.

if you're looking for a basic place to start, this is good too:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  2. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

Just did a kettlebell class for the 1st time at Energia Athletics on the Danforth. Damn, way more intense than I expected.

Plus for the single guys, I was the only dude there. Lots of hot strong chicks there.
  3. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

^ slick. i've got my gf starting the Viking Warrior Conditioning - great kettle bell conditioning.
  4. mrfinesse

mrfinesse TRIBE Member

Well not really vids posted by bacchus, but more like referred me to the ecressey youtube channel. So I went ahead watched a bunch a them and tried them

and two more with resistance bands.
    And the last exercise from the above defranco warm with the resistance band.

I just been doing them twice a week. Nagging pain is gone. I used to hear/feel a ton of snap crackle and pop even when not exercising, while it is still there, it has definitely gotten better.
  5. mrfinesse

mrfinesse TRIBE Member

I'll check it out when I return next week. I'm not exactly sure how I put the dumbbells down, it's not something i really considered. When I do it next, I'll take some notes because it's not as simple as I wrote down.
  6. derek

derek TRIBE Member

my wife attends some of those classes. i have a free pass but just keep forgetting to use it.
  7. Hawk Eye

Hawk Eye TRIBE Member

Push presses are in my circuits as well

I never do dumbbell curls anymore, unless it's my sunday circuits with my team.. we sometimes have to do hammer curls or dumbbell curls.. but in my regular workout routines i never do them.

I always do pull ups.. I can now do 4 in a row! That's huge.. in January i thought it would be a battle and i wouldn't be able to do 1.. but I practice them every day pretty much.

i'm on level 6 out of 10..and have to hit the gym

130 Push ups
    120 Body Rows
    150 Leg Overs
    40 Pull ups (Gravitron machine)
    50 Dips
    120 Kayak Punches
    180 Ruts

argh this is going to suck!
  8. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

It's worth checking out for challenging cardio session. Reminds me of Crossfit workouts - Bacchus you better rethink giving your girl kettlebells. :p

Yeah technique feedback was the main reason for going. I picked some bells up to workout at home with, but have never used them before. I figured I should have some actual coaching before I get started. I have the swings down, but I can't seem to figure out how to execute a clean properly. My long arms seem to be an issue. I am using my shoulder/traps to pull up and unable to translate any lower body power to help. Definitely not a good thing when doing high-reps for time.
  9. LikeASweet

LikeASweet TRIBE Member

If you are new to kettlebells id highly suggest you watch Pavel Tsatsouline's Enter the Kettlebell Video. its by far the best instructional video ive watched on kettlebells. Pavel is quite a character as well - you can find the torrent if you just do a search.
  10. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

lol, hey now - crossfitters can do *some* things properly. She's actually doing the Viking workout, which is all conditioning, no strength training.

So have the classes helped?

Are you able to perform a High pull? If you're able to get the kettlebell to a high-pull position, you should have no problem with the remainder of the snatch - as it's just a vertical punch.
  11. Hawk Eye

Hawk Eye TRIBE Member

i currently can't lift my arms.. i did find this weeks to be easier then in previous practices. We didn't have to do as many reps.

We had to do 5 sets of 8 exercises.

20 reps
    25 reps
    20 reps
    20 reps
    15 reps

and then 12 pull ups.. after an hour of paddling.

Pull ups are freaking hard to do after you do the weight circuits.. i could only do 3 unassisted then i needed help to get the rest in.
  12. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

omfg I hate yoga. So boring.
  13. Hawk Eye

Hawk Eye TRIBE Member

ha! I'm trying Aerial Yoga (whatever the frig that is) on Thursday!! :)
  14. lucky1

lucky1 TRIBE Member

I have my new road bike on the trainer in my house! First ride today, I'm learning how to ride with clipless pedals, so not confident enough for the road yet! Getting better, I can't clip in most of the time on the first down pedal stroke. Weird thing is I seem to be good at the right foot, but the left foot is more clumsy...

I like working out, but could not just do gym stuff, got to mix it up!
  15. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

if you're new to clipless, and these are new shoes/pedals - show in and out at 50 times (no joke) before going on the road. This now only allows you to get used to the give in the pedal, but will help the pedal and show work better together.

If it's too hard to get in after the first 10-15, loosen them up a little. If it falls out without a rotation of your foot, it's too loose.
  16. Hawk Eye

Hawk Eye TRIBE Member

What kind of pedals do you have?
  17. lucky1

lucky1 TRIBE Member

Me? They are Shimano SP pedals, you can click in on both sides, and I have a sort of hybrid road/mountain bike specialized shoes since I have bad feet I can't wear too tight or narrow shoes.

Oh yeah in my previous post it should have said, i can clip in usually on the first stroke.. hehe

thanks for the tips Bacchus, my husband actually looked at my shoes and said the cleats were not on even so he aligned the left with the right.. lol

My friend at works suggested practicing on the rail path so that will be my destination next week... a few more trainer days this week :)

my mountain bike I use the straps though... It is my commuter so I don't want to have to wear cycling shoes everywhere... or bring shoes to change into... too anoying
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  18. lucky1

lucky1 TRIBE Member

the look like this

19. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

ah, cool!

What shoes do you have?

It's amazing how far they've come in the development of SPD shoes. I remember having to walk into a grocery store looking like a bowlegged idiot because you're trying to walk in SPD shoes on a polished floor.

You can get many casual looking shoes. You less likely to find many of them if you're looking for mountainbike shoes - as those tend to come in hiking boot styles. But companies like DZR (SPD Compatible Sneakers - DZR) make super sexy bike shoes.
  20. lucky1

lucky1 TRIBE Member

I got these specialized shoes... the "Spirita" touring shoes

the cleats are partially recessed so they are easier to walk around in off the bike. They fit on the small size so I went up one size from my normal shoe size.

They still sound like tap shoes, but are not to hard to walk in
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  21. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

yah, that's a pretty standard style road bike/touring shoe. I wouldnt want to walk around in them either.
  22. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

Just had a great training session with Bumbaclat!

-Foam Rolling
    -Mobility/Prehab stuff ( half-kneeling adductor stretch, knee to butt stretch,ankle mobility)

A1>Lateral Squat & Goblet Squat

A2> Single Leg Romanian Deadlift

B1> Bulgarian Split-Squat:

B2> Cable Pullthroughs:

C1> Front Squat:

D1> Kettlebell Swings & Kettlebell Snatches:
    10-12x6 (15 seconds rest in between sets)
  23. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

Some Inspiration for you bros who think you're too Fat and/or Injured to get fit.

24. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

It was great! Thanks again for all the help, you really know your stuff.
  25. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

He lost that much weight that fast from yoga?