1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Grind Protest

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by R4V4G3D_SKU11S, Jun 17, 2001.

1. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

I've been slacking off on reviewing stuff that I've been going to lately, but I can't pass up on this one since I don't know how many people were able to make it out...And you should be upset that you didn't!! I made my way down to this by myself this afternoon...I don't know if it was because I was there early on in the day but there weren't too many peeps there...It's great to see all these free afternoon/evening events popping up lately - and this one was for a great cause! With 99.9% of my friends @ OM, I needed something wicked to do this weekend...I spent the afternoon reading a book under a tree and taking in some sweet breakbeat/turntablism sounds from sircut breaker, dj dopey and dj serious alongside some sick breakdancing from bag o' trix...Unfortunately I had to leave way early to go to work and that was very hard let me tell ya! I had to miss Terrence Parker AND DJ Ivan (a DJ from dubtribe sound system)...As I was leaving I was able to get a bunch of info on some issues regarding the Mike Harris government - I found it nice to see the hip hop/rave music scenes coming together in the form of protest, something I think should happen more often...My only complaint is that they threw it on the same weekend as OM - I think alot of people who would've been up for the cause were away @ OM...plus it would've been nice to have some pals to share such a fun afternoon with!! But overall a wicked event, cheers to whoever put it on!

2. misswasabi

misswasabi New Member

argh...I missed it completely because I thought it was @ new city hall - I made my way down there and ened up being in the middle of a "busker" street festival ugh....so instead of terrance parker , I had to settle for mimes and women in tights jumping on trampolines...

3. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

I actually hit up that busker's festival on Friday afternoon - did you see that "Bam" thing?? I saw the trampoline thing as well - it was actually pretty crazy!

4. Bean

Bean TRIBE Member

the same thing happened to a friend of mine!

i made it down for the last 2 hours of the event, and was disappointed with the lack of people.

nonetheless, the music was solid, visuals great, and organization superb.

i hope the event accomplished what it was seeking to accomplish.

i kept my "60 hour work week, give me a break
    sticker on my back and was approached by a few people at klip asking me if i knew it was there [​IMG]

peace,

sabina

.:. share what you know, learn what you don't .:.

5. echootje

echootje TRIBE Member

I was there I was there! [​IMG]

Mattie (ThePlunger) and I spent some time there basking in the sun, alternately walking around the area to eat and have a pint. Matt had to work at 7, but I stayed one. It was a great way to spend a day and I was there from start to finish, Terrence Parker held down the classic disco/house end while Guy Called Gerald was ALL over the map from house to breaks to techno and Jungle/dnb. DJ Ivan was playing house and the breakdancing at the beginning was a definate treat those guys were good!

I was the one in the white Camoflage hat, anybody see me?

Rob,

6. Shintriad

Shintriad TRIBE Member

yeah, I checked it out early stylee (nowt better to do ... heh) and it didn't really get jumpin' til I left (I assume) cuz it was pretty dead for the first 5-6 hours or so.

still, a pleasant afternoon of lying in the grizass, and it was for a good cause (ie not working your ass off for no extra pay).

oh yeah, and that buskerfest really suckterfest. no wonder these guys make no money. I mean, uh, end homelessness now.

7. dabeats

dabeats TRIBE Member

I`ve been meaning to transfer this footage from VHS to digital for years now and finally got around to it. I remember there weren`t too many people and this was the first time I ever saw TP spin. I have some other footage from it as well I`ll post later. Enjoy :)

[YOUTUBE]?v=ESG6khuD4j8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]?v=VXasOfNq_lY&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]

8. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

I have no recollection of this. I remember not going to OM that year, and working the 4 to 12 shift at Sam the Record Man on Yonge, so my story checks out. WTF was the protest about?

9. dabeats

dabeats TRIBE Member

lol it was a protest against the 60 hour work week put on by the Ontario Federation of Labour.