1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Got Soul???

Discussion in 'Breaks Room' started by funkNstyle, Feb 22, 2002.

1. funkNstyle

funkNstyle TRIBE Member

What ever happened to SOUL? I'm not talking about the genre of music but all beats once had SOUL/FUNK/ENERGY.

It's the backbone of music in my oppinion. It seems lately alot of UK producers are missing that in their beats now.

Yes, they've taken the technical aspect to great heights and blown away boundaries but its missing something... that something is soul.

Everyone has their own definition of soul so i wont go into detail but a quick reference to the "older style" known best to *most* as funky breaks, hip hop oriented breaks, etc etc.

I mean EVERYTHING that was produced had soul and it still kicked hard, rocking the dancefloor all nite.
    I RARELY hear any new productions that have that element in it.
    Sure they have rolling basslines, new sounds, crazy samples but it all seems like and outter shell.... There's no backbone!

It can be done, Ive heard it (i wont give examples, just like i wont diss producers) but Now and again i hear that backbone comming forward... I start to smile, bop my head and wanna start bouncing.

Let me clairify this is NOT a funky vs. Nu-skool debate!!
    I've heard LOTS of nu-skool with soul...
    When i say SOUL... I mean that feeling that comes out and grabs you, that energy inside a track,(not talking about 303's and shit) it could even be a downtempo track but it had that energy inside thats waiting to burst out.

Before i go off and never come back on this topic, I'd just like to say that although producers have reached great heights in technical/productional aspects to which the likes of never before they're missing a key ingredient in what music was based on...... SOUL!

Jonny

2. Smiley Jo

Smiley Jo TRIBE Member

Ow! Sex Machine!

DJ Dan vs. James Brown

Ooooooooooooh yeah, there's some seriously funky soul for ya.

"You know ya got soul...
    If ya didn't you wouldn't be in here..."

I still gotta get you that tape Jonny.

Joanna [​IMG]

3. Pure Silk

Pure Silk TRIBE Member

One thing that I think breaks could use a little more of is.......

well written and properly arranged vocals!!

:)rolleyes: I know, I know...what ya expect coming from me)

but seriously...sometimes it adds personallity to a track
    ie. you can sing along to it and I'm sure you guys can see the coralation between personality, hummablity = soul to a certain degree!

I think Travelling on - Beber & Tamara - Mob.....was a good example of this.

I did that song get caned (played) when it was released here in Toronto?

4. Thunder

Thunder TRIBE Member

Maybe Breaks has no soul?
    Soul = Gospel = RnB = Uk Garage
    Need more soul? listen to producers like Wookie, Mj Cole and many other UKG producers who are putting out the tracks with nothing but soul backing their beats.

Neil:)

5. justin surdit

justin surdit TRIBE Member

hmmmm.....

you may want to check out danny mcmillan's stuff, jazzy, laidback grooves, soulful but forward thinking - check out his mixes "nu-shapes in breaks' and "high altitude breaks", might be the answer to your query.

also, as far as productions go, I have always found ILS to be excellent for depth of character (and this "soul" stuff you are looking for), while not necessarily conforming to the tried and true method of sampling some james brown lyrics, and chopping up an amen break - his drum sequencing is the closest I have ever heard to live drumming, particular his earlier work - Idiots behind the wheel, and especially his remix of yaiko

drop me a line for the inside track on picking these up - I might be able to dig up a few treats for ya.
    lates

Last edited: Feb 22, 2002
  6. funkNstyle

funkNstyle TRIBE Member

Im not actually looking for Soul sounds/elements such as vocals and ish... more less... that good old groovy feeling... here let me try it this way...

Soul moves you deep down inside at an emotional level. It trigger's emotion and thought process' on a basic human level.
    Soul is a break away of gospel and blues.... It affectes people on the higher level like gospel and on the gut level as blues did.
    Soul is an attitude, they way u present yourself... Soul has always been cool even when its not detected in a track, its there.

The problem is when i say soul, You all think of jazz and downtempo, early 60's mo-town and soul train.

But im talking about the way in which the music moves you. Nobody can sit there and tell me some of the newer stuff moves you the way an old Bassbin Twins, Krafty Kuts tracks and the Freestylers of yester-year move you.

Maybe it does but not in any way close to the way Soul does.

Soul is energy, a feeling on the inside and these prodcuers just dont have that anymore. (most havent lately, not all)

Maybe im just not explaining it correctly?

Jonny

Justin, thanks for the artists... I'll see if its what im lookin for :)

7. GrooveGirl

GrooveGirl New Member

Soul moves you deep down inside at an emotional level. It trigger's emotion and thought process' on a basic human level.
    Soul is a break away of gospel and blues.... It affectes people on the higher level like gospel and on the gut level as blues did.
    Soul is an attitude, they way u present yourself... Soul has always been cool even when its not detected in a track, its there.

I understand your view completely. I am currently in the UK and I've realized a different kind of energy here. Most people here are driven by music that is adrenaline rushing... especially in the breaks scene. Toronto is blessed with certain individuals who keep the "soul" alive and thats why we love it so.
    Most breaks dj's I've seen here are throwing down breakbeats with strong tech/house influences, taking away from the soul and distinctive breakbeat, and keeping with the adrenaline rush of the crowd. (ie. Adam Freeland played a more techno based set then breakbeat when I saw him.)
    Yes, producers may not be producing that soulful vibe for the breaks scene, only b/c its more apparent in the garage, house, soapbox scene (from what I've observed).
    Breakbeats here are usually put with the drum and bass nights and tend to be more darker and hard. (Which I also like!) But nonetheless I also love my soul and to be honest find it difficult to connect with music that doesn't have it (in whatever form). It could be a perception that people have about "what is soul to you". The people here are into their music more then I've ever seen. Is it because they have popped too many pills? maybe! or maybe their "music that moves them" has another type of soul?
    In my opinion I think Toronto has a lot of musically intellectual people, and talent, and if Canadian breakbeat lovers have such grief over where the soul has gone, then maybe its time to take the initiative and show the world what "you" think has soul.
    * The UK isn't the only place in the world that has the ability to create music.

Stay tuned for review on Plump DJ's set March 1.

8. kprior

kprior TRIBE Member

Re: Ow! Sex Machine!

Yup, probably the best tape ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tribute to James Brown, San Fransico Project #2, DJ DAN
    Great stuff!!

kp