1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

FUCK Smirnoff

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Bumbaclat, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

I got a call at 9 am on a Saturday from some "market research" group that wanted to ask me about alcohol. I asked them how they got the number. They said I had recently indicated on a survey that I would like to be contacted for such things. I received this call on my cell phone. The only place I had given out my cell number for anything was at the door to the Smirnoff Experience for the contest they had running. I even asked the girl if the info would be used for anything and she assured me no. Then this morning a call to ask me my opinion about alcohol.

I called back the number on my caller ID and it said "this number is not in service".
    I'll post it anyway:
    416 251 1335

Hey Smirnoff: Want some market research? I don't drink your vodka because Skyy is much better and I don't drink your crappy Ice drink because it makes my teeth feel fuzzy and like I should be drinking it in a park with a bunch of grade 9's.

Bumbaclat

2. Quirkz

Quirkz TRIBE Member

I like how when you buy 1.99$ batteries at radio shack they ask for your name address and telephone number, "for the waranty". Yea, right.

3. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

Bumbaclat...I got that same phone call at about 7:30 last night...and, with me and my politeness, asked them to call back during the day today...and what do they do???? CALL ME AT 9 FREAKIN' AM!!!!!!!

boo.urns.

Bias

4. Guest

Guest Guest

HA HA sucker....you should have filled out info like 123 Fake st etc.....

5. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

hahaha...SHUT UP!!!

I should've given them YOU'RE phone #...which we all know is 416-___-____

Bias

6. Metal Morphosis

Metal Morphosis TRIBE Member

I got the call last night as well. The guy lied and told me that the number was computer generated... interesting since i'm currently living at my sister's and my name is not listed under Any phone number.

I agreed to do the market research ONLY b/c he said that i'll be mailed a $25 gift certificate for HMV, but only after i finish the rest of their survey in March 2002.

I hope they call back b/c free music is always nice.

lisa

7. feisty boy

feisty boy TRIBE Member

haha! i got that call.

but it was a friend of mine who asked me to fill out the form in the first place, so i didn't get some bullshit "contest" story.. i knew it was comin

i always do surveys - those people have to make a living, why get pissed off at the poor suckers making minimun wage in a call center??

on the other hand the 'free toronto star for a month' jerks can lick my nutsack.

8. feisty boy

feisty boy TRIBE Member

and the other thing is, while half the survey is basically trying to get you to say, in one multiple choice form or another, that their advertising works, and smirnoff ice is a hip, energetic drink for clubbers...

the other half is spent critiquing the event, so you can bitch about the total overload of branding and the monopoly of liquor sales and all that - they're trying to please the target market, after all, so i would think they pay attention to that kind of negative feedback...

why not have at least a pathetic semblance of a voice while the corporations use our scene to get us to buy their shit?

9. ADT

ADT TRIBE Member

i was happy to answer their questions.. i gave them alot of positive feedback.. and when i gave them my number i was expecting them to call and ask me questions...

so i dont know what you guys are bitching about..

pfft..

v..abstractdatatype

(some people just bitch, bitch, bitch,.. wtf. it was a good party and smirnoff picked up the tab.. chill peeps)

10. MBoy

MBoy TRIBE Member

I was going to drink smirnoff on nye, but just for that, i'll find myself something else to consume.

BOO URNS to that. -D

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Those fuckers have been calling me almost every day for the past week. [​IMG]

I made the mistake of telling them I'd take their fucking survey and now they won't leave me alone. I still haven't done the survey though. They said I need a pen and paper handy so I told them forget about it. I don't have time for that shit.

They've called 4 times today since 9 am. I answered once and told the girl I was still sleeping and to call me back at two and I'd do it. THe Bitch called back 5 minutes later!

I'm through being polite to these fuckers.

12. AT-AT

AT-AT TRIBE Member

bottoms up mothersuckers! hehe...

13. Aphrodite

Aphrodite TRIBE Member

they called us TWICE.

you'd think a vodka company would understand - you don't call people on SATURDAY MORNING!

LIKE HELLO!!?

14. unklespins

unklespins TRIBE Member

i got that too...the guy said it would take two minutes, it took like twenty. The guy could hardly read the questions, it was so frustrating.
    At one point I said "The first time I tried Smirnoff Ice was when it first came out" then his next question was "Before you started drinking Smirnoff Ice did you..." Actually it had just come out, like I just said...

15. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

That is absolutely so fucking lame. Corporate sponsored cluelessness. Its probably that their Agency Starcom has to justify the 1/4 million party costs (or other overblown $ figure) to UDV (makers of Smirnoff). ANd so your comments (the good ones) are going to go into a nice presentation thay can make to say how successful it was.

Not.

Imagine what we could do with that kind of money?

I noticed nobody called anyone about the Smirnoff Fashion Awards - good thing too - it was the only fashion show I have ever been to where the audience was laughing at the presentation (and it wasn't supposed to be funny). I have been to a shit load of fashion shows and it was the first one that I actually felt sorry for the designers....

It just goes to prove that money does not make a fabulous event. Neither does a market research follow up... Someone out to tell them its all about vibe and let them try to quantify that.

Ultimate lameness - the Smirnoff Experience.

16. ADT

ADT TRIBE Member

whatever.. i saw nick warren, dave ralph, and dj dan for $25 dollars..

hullabaloo is fuking $25..

and im getting the $25 back for answering a bunch of stupid questions..

Smirnoff Experience rocked.. your all out to lunch..

v..abstractdatatype

17. Guest

Guest Guest

I enjoyed myself Sorry!
    You people are a bunch of complainers, maybe next time a lot of you should just stay home it would make more room to dance for the rest of us.
    OMG you had to answer a bunch of questions, will life ever be the same!

18. orange richie

orange richie TRIBE Member

I never gave out my number so I obviously didn't get a call, but if you give your number out to whoever, chances are they call you (that's why you give it out).

Anyways the Shmirnoff 'expensiveness' [​IMG] was good in a way because people got to see a handful of top DJ's for a pretty good price. But the decorations IMO were horrible, it was too bright in there and everything was overdone. I felt like I was in a Shmirnoff commercial.

They definitely lost (invested) money to get our attention. That's good and all for them I guess but their vodka still sucks ass and no amount of advertising gonna make me buy it. Maybe it's different for everyone but I'm of the opinion that the individuals in our scene are very selective and educated as to what is good on the market and I think huge corporations like Shmirnoff and B & H are wasting their time and money...

...or are they?

Rickardo Belmiro de la Cruz...

19. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

I agree, Fuck Smirnoff! If it had a penis, it would fuck you.

20. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

1. So then how do you rate the 'experience' on a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is lame and 10 is "I got in for $25 bucks, so there"?

2. At the Smirnoff Fashion Awards, did you:

a) cringe
    b) laugh
    c) cry
    d) go so drunk I missed the awards

3. Next event will you:

a) give fake phone number
    b) submit to hour long questionnaire
    c) Say: I payed 25 bucks to see Nick Warren!

4. I am

a) a gino
    b) I love progressive trance
    c) the Smirnoff Experience is what I am about deep inside
    d) I got to see Nick Warren for $25 so I will be anything you want!!!
    e) all of the above

5. la la la

21. Guest

Guest Guest

Why so bitter, if you think you can throw a better party do it!

22. Stormshadow

Stormshadow TRIBE Member

Maybe you didn't read that people were woken up this morning to answer the questions.

<-- Still glad he didn't go to the Smirnoff Experience.

23. Guest

Guest Guest

The only thing I think is stupid is calling people early on a Saturday morning. Haven't they ever heard of a hangover.

24. Guest

Guest Guest

give me the $$$ and I'll do it.

25. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

I think they invented them