1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Freddy Fresh

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by dawndalon, Nov 24, 2001.

1. dawndalon

dawndalon TRIBE Promoter

First, thanks to Dan.

I have never heard Freddy b4 and I was really impressed. I think he played every type of music!! wow. I would definately go to see him again.
    How was ur nite?
    -D.

2. Barrie Breaker

Barrie Breaker TRIBE Member

I had a lot of fun last night. Robb G's set was excellent as usual.

Freddy Fresh was 'different' but equally enjoyable. I heard a lot of old tracks that I haven't heard a long time. I would describe his set as very smooth because he moved from one type of music to another flawlessly.

As for the venue....I thought it was a good size and has a lot of potential. The only thing I didn't like were the lasers. There weren't too many places you could stand without getting zapped in the eye with at least one of the lights. Other than that, I thought it was a great night. I can't wait until next Friday for Big League Chu! I hope everyone had a great time and will come out again next week. You had better bring your breaking shoes because Chu is going to tear that place up!

Shawna

3. mcbee

mcbee TRIBE Member

i haven't been out to a breaks nite, but i wouldn't miss your opening nite dan!!

last nite was totally what i needed to end off an emotional, stessful week...a good healthy dose of kick ass breaks with some good friends [​IMG]

and i was so happy to catch the last bit of funkNstyle's set! way to go jonny - cindy lou is proud!!

as always, robb g (the most energitic man behind the decks) laid down a set that got me grooving all over the place.

freddy fresh was AWESOME...playing everything from old old skool to jungle to house to some top 40 remixes....i loved it! having variation in a set is nice, keeps you interested and wondering what is next! i havent' danced that hard to breaks in awhile! thanks for the fun as always on the dancefloor andrea!!

all in all a fun nite..hope it continues!
    [​IMG]sarah

4. DJ JayMcC

DJ JayMcC TRIBE Member

Damn, I really wanted to go [​IMG]
    Hopefully Freddy 'll be back soon [​IMG]

5. Bobby Thrust

Bobby Thrust TRIBE Member

I had a blast too, even if just to see so many friends at night that I have not seen in a while!

There were more than a couple of times when I was running around asking people if they knew what track Freddy was playing. It was crackin stuff.

Nice one!

6. D-Monic

D-Monic TRIBE Member

Thanks to all those that came out to the grand opening of Phat Beat Fridays! It was a great party and all those who attended had a great time!

Freddy Fresh played an amazing party set that had everyone going off! As he put it, he gave everyone a 'history lesson' by mixing up big beat, funk, hip hop, old school, and a bit of Latin for flavour! What a set! (You know it's good when Big League Chu dances...)

Thanks to the rest of the DJ's as well. Robb G kept 'em dancing, but the real surprise came from up and comer FunkNstyle who played one of the best sets I've heard (from any local) in a long time. You'll be seeing more and more of this kid. I guarantee it.

Thanks again to all who supported! I hope to see you all next week when we go 'Back 2 Tha Old School'! All old school breaks, all night! $5.00 before 11:00, $10.00 after!

Oh, and for those that want to hear what you missed, you can hear Freddy playing this week on Pure Phunk on 1Groove.com. He'll be laying down all the beats that he 'forgot' to play on Friday.

(keep your eye out for some 'interesting' change taking place for December)

7. D-Monic

D-Monic TRIBE Member

For those that missed Freddy Fresh, you can catch him live on Pure Phunk, tonight at 1Groove.com. It will be archived until next Monday so you can listen to it at your leisure.

[​IMG]

8. Angus Robinson

Angus Robinson TRIBE Member

I got to NV at around 11:00 so I just missed funkNstyle's set, which, from what D-Monic described, sounded like quite the set! Sorry Jonny. I'll catch you next time. Robb G was throwin down some nice stuff. Always good to hear mah boy Robb throw down.

Then next up was The Man, The Legend, The Moustache - Freddy Fresh! For a "breaks DJ" he certainly wasn't playing too much straight-up breaks, but that's what was cool about his set - It was different from anything I had ever heard. The only set that I could really compare it to was Krafty Kuts'. Even though Freddy was playing almost every genre out there (except trance and HHC - thank god), the feel of his selections were definitely rooted in funky breaks. I was really liking the downtempo funky breaks tracks that he dropped in the middle of the set. At the end of his set, however, he kind of lost my interest when he ventured into Top 40 land. For a minute there I could've sworn that I was at a grade 8 dance. His scratching was spot on as well, and really complimented the tunes he played.

Great night all in all. Had a blast! I look forward to many more Phat Beat Fridays at NV.

Photos from the night will be up on torontobreaks.com shortly (a day or 2, or maybe even tonight, depending on my laziness [​IMG] ).

-Angus

9. peanut butter

peanut butter TRIBE Member

anyone else see Freddy and Robb on EC?

I seem to remember Robb dancing his funky chicken to Britney Spears...anyone else see this??? (other than Chu & Saddler)

I know his mom taped it if anyone wants a copy :p

10. Barrie Breaker

Barrie Breaker TRIBE Member

Are you sure they were on? I got home at around 10:00 and didn't see anything in the last half hour. I caught more of the beginning on Saturday and never saw anything then either.

I also paged my roommate (who works in a restaurant) on Friday night and told her to put it on and watch out for it. Although she couldn't stand there and watch it constantly, she assured me she kept going back and never saw Freddy once on the television. Did you actually see it or are you just asking? Or is this post completely facetious and I'm an idiot? haha

I'm just curious to know because if he was on, I must've missed it completely.

Shawna

11. peanut butter

peanut butter TRIBE Member

oh yes, they were both on...
    Freddy played about 3 records for the show with a short interview.
    Robb was on before a commercial and just before the shityy charts...

12. twist

twist TRIBE Member

*grumble grumble* Razzafrazza stinkin fuckin german theory fuzza grrr... fucking essays... yes I'm sure you all had a wonderful time... I HOPE YOU ALL DIE OF SOME PAINFUL BRAIN DISEASE! *grumble* Oh well at least he came to Toronto... That means he'll prolly be back right? *crickets chirping*

13. BreakzBroad

BreakzBroad TRIBE Member

DAMN! sounds like fun! wish i could have gone! Unfortunatley I was drinking my ass off for FREE in Montreal!! woohoo! way to go DAN!

*jen*

14. funkNstyle

funkNstyle TRIBE Member

Saw it too.
    the next day on the repeat.

Jonny

15. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

So I got there late because I had to work. I Walked in to hear some nice house playing As I walked down the stairs I was wondering if I was supposed to go upstairs. But once inside a quick scan of the crowd made me think "looks like breaks kids".
    Now the first thing I thought upon stepping in was - "Wow, I'm at Limelight, only, this isn't Limelight"! The basement at NV really looks alot like Limelight for some reason - I think I have been upstairs before and it's alot nicer than the basement. Plus it was the same crowd as Wednesdays At LL in the summer.
    Freddy Fresh was really interesting - he really did what I have been pining for more DJ's to do these days, and that is mix up the genres! I think he hit almost everything electronic high-energy everything out there. It's just too bad he based the set on a foundation of breaks [​IMG] Overall he had me more interested than any DJ has in a long time, since I never knew what was coming next (which to me is the true job of a DJ, and something that's been lacking in our scene lately)!
    Overall I had a pretty good night, and I hope this keeps going [​IMG]

16. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

I think he hit everything electronic and high enrgy out there.