Foreign Film Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Sukebe Jiji, Feb 24, 2002.

1. twist

twist TRIBE Member

does "dirty dutch dong suckers and the fijian midgets they sodomize" count as foreign?

Kurosawa is god. il est fucking tabernac dangerous. The magnificent seven samurai. Rashomon... everybody lies.

Princess and the Warrior fucking A fo sho.

Time and Tide and Yi Yi are solid. Judou is pretty coo.

Siberia... new and pretty dope I must say except for one of the main guys is named goof.

Pusher... dutch drug flick where everything gets fuct.

ammores perros. FUCKING wow.

A better tomorrow 1 and 2 (cmon show some love)

I for once (besides akira) was actually pleased with the dubbing in an anime flick in Princess Mononoke... but I could be slightly biased cause scully talks in it and I gots a thing for the x-files... oh and clare danes but shes dating oversized melonhead freak guy.

5 deadly venoms. toad style works you unless you get stuck in an iron maiden.

Kieslowski the decalogue and red, white and blue... real well... different but good.

There are too many choices for little button thingys... what the hell is goin on all these colors hurt my eyes where the hell do i login? whos in the what form field now where's the rest of the posts in the check this box or that one smilie rate my ass and i like to see how many views threads get vs posts smilie and go fuckyourself everyone except the people in this thread and a bunch of others. Who wants to come live on my island. Sukebe can. you gender non specific person are welcome to the tribe board of infectious time eating typing. Top o the mornin presidente I still don't have email sucks to my registrar.

2. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

yeahahahahahahuruhgbbrt67otu644766t6

TWIST IS BACK!!!!!
    :D

where've you been?

p[l]a+0

3. twist

twist TRIBE Member

getting ready for the first day of the rest of my life and let me tell you shes a handful i dunno why the hell they call them angels. Best and worst thing that ever happened to me... I thought I'd be ready for this... good fucking lord was I wrong I thought I knew but now I'm finding out that everything else has meant sweet fuck all and I'm having to learn to walk all over again but man when its good its the rest of your life in thirty seconds (all the shit you always say you're never gonna do which would normally creep you out but now you can't wait for it) seeing someone for the first time and you realize you've always known them, one shared glance that could fill 500 pages. so um ya.... and I've had a lot of laundry my funfur still isn't clean from wemf.

4. Sup Twist, good to see you back. We'll talk soon, guaranteed mang, plenty of the good shit coming up this year.

From the Ministry of lemme know on Tribe what you're hitting up in the future, we'll do this stuff up right.

Prime Minister Highsteppa

5. AT-AT

AT-AT TRIBE Member

if you're gonna see just one...

Polish film, see Pigs (Psy, or Dogs as the cops are called in my homeland)
    Argentinian - Goldenballs (a nice small part by bel Toro in that one)
    Danish - The Celebration (nice strong subject matter and very well acted)
    Italian - Cinema Paradiso and Malena (ok, that's two, but I just saw Malena and it blew me away...)
    Spanish - anything with Penelope Cruz, hehe... (Love Can Seriously Damage Your Health comes to mind, currently on TMN)

hell, the list is a mile long, so these few of the top of my head, and back to homework...

6. Decepta-Kyle

Decepta-Kyle TRIBE Member

ahhh.......

Fucking Amal
    Cyrano De Bergerac
    Before Night Falls (foreign?)

great movies all

Kyle

7. feisty boy

feisty boy TRIBE Member

Re: Re: Foreign Film Appreciation Thread

i just saw ring last night (after much searching - 3 copies in the entire city = never in)
    an intense movie, to say the least. i was very impressed (and scared) - have you tracked down the dvd? apparently it's got the full 'creepy video' that is the basis of the film, on the end of the dvd - i don't know if i'd be able to watch it by myself late at night.

battle royal was also a pretty good flick. a disturbing premise, very well executed.

i'll admit, though, i usually find it hard to watch oriental dramas and such - the cultural differences often lead to confusion - they're not as accesible as, say, european films (at least to me)

8. feisty boy

feisty boy TRIBE Member

i found the exact opposite!
    maborosi really struck a chord with me - i was sucked in from the very beginning, and totally emotionally moved by the end.

but afterlife, to me, was a premise stretched WAY too thin. after the first half hour, which i thought was brilliant, it seemed to just go on and on without any real new ideas brought forward.
    i found it self indulgent, and didn't really understand the critical hype surrounding it.

9. air-bag

air-bag TRIBE Member

Re: ahhh.......

WORD!!!!!

10. air-bag

air-bag TRIBE Member

I dont think anyone has mentioned Solaris or Stalker yet....

11. patio-d

patio-d TRIBE Member

re: Princess and the Warrior..... anybody know what city this film is set in? I loved the look of the place. It was part modern and cool (that monorail thingie was wicked... as was the bank), and part classical and daunting (warrior dude's house on the hill).

and highsteppa, good call on Chungking Express.... one of my al-time favourites.

but i hated Gangster #1. tremendously.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

is it a foreign if you understand the language?

13. janiecakes

janiecakes TRIBE Member

patio-d, the princess and the warrior was filmed in wuppertal, which is in germany i think.

14. patio-d

patio-d TRIBE Member

thanks cakes. i now wish to visit this Wuppertal.

15. SlipperyPete

SlipperyPete TRIBE Member

perhaps this summer my yonge street rawkus-sharing amigo?