Final Scratch

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Mr_Furious, Feb 27, 2002.

1. -Mercury-

-Mercury- TRIBE Member

although you can do the same with todays top cd players (pioneer cdj 1000)

2. outofcontrol

outofcontrol TRIBE Member

A Marian and Ritika have already explained, our friend Jon Coe uses it regularly out and about. About a month ago I had the opportunity to try in out myself also, and it is dam cool. As stated already you have the same feel as vinyl ( however I found the FS dub plates to be much smoother and sensitive, if that makes any sense). What I enjoyed the most is the time it takes to cue up a record... seeing that it has an onscreen waveform image, you can find your starting point much quicker, not to mention other info on the tune, such as bpm. which also speeds up the process of finding the right pitch.

I thoroughly enjoyed using it, however it's entirely to expensive for my wallet right now.

cheers

Anthony

3. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

The cdj1000 is still a cd player and costs over $1000 each. Finalscratch is infinitely more versatile.

4. D-Monic

D-Monic Well-Known Member

The big argument for Final Scratch is that you can carry your whole collection with you. That was my point.

You can do that today... make a tune, burn it to CD, then take it to the club where 90% of the time they have CD players. I don't forsee a lot of clubs implementing this system. Looks like there's a lot of sensitive equipment to maintain. Most club owners I know bitch and complain when the turntables need to be serviced after the 100th beer has been spilled on it.

I'm all about standards. I'm still getting used to the fact that CD's are becoming widely used. I don't see this being a stardard any time soon and I still stick to my 'Don't Trust New Technology' policy. I'll wait for all the bugs to be worked out.

Doesn't mean it can't happen. Can you imagine being in a club, dancing, when all of a sudden the music jsut stops. A record/CD skip is distracting enough, but nothing? What if...

There are some of us that carry organised record bags/crates. I know where every record is at all times. I can do that just as fast as any computer. Just because you have all these tunes at your disposal doesn't mean you can play them any faster.

<-------- anti-Final Scratch... until the technology is proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

5. Silverback

Silverback TRIBE Member

I've never actually watched the video's, only read about it and was somewhat skeptical. Just finished watching those videos and that is bloody amazing! The possibilities are endless!

6. Adam Duke

Adam Duke TRIBE Member

^^^ he's mennonite posing as D-Monic! Get him!

:D

@m.

7. matty

matty TRIBE Member

Find me one cd dj deck that gives you 100% the same feel as a turntable. You can't. I can see someone spending a lot of time on a track, bringing their CDR of it to a club and it bombing because they have to clue how to mix with the cd deck that's at the club.

I see this system being more along the lines of a kaoss pad, the performer will bring it themselves. If it's required that the hardware be setup before the sound it turned on then that's just logistics that will have to be sorted out between venue and dj before hand.

What if a a break blows and the power to the sound system is lost? What if some trainspotter spills their redbull into the DJM-600? I've been to many clubs / parties where the sound has cut completely for whatever reason. Those are the risks you take. How many times have their been hicups in live set? Those are the breaks, life goes on.

Even if you do have a perfectly organized record bag I bet I could type the words 'women beat their men' before you could flip through 150 records to find it <-even if they were in alphabetical, artist, label, whatever order.

We're part of scene that has learned to embrace technology and use it in artistic ways. It would be silly to ignore this technology just because it's new. If juan atkins ignored his 909 because it hadn't been proven as a musical insturment, or if orbital decided not to gig live because there was a chance that their gear might crash, where would we be today?

8. alexd

What if theree is an earthquake or a tidal wave in the middle of the set... it could happen ;)

Finalscratch or similar digital/vinyl interfaces are the future for DJs, that is for certain.

9. ADT

ADT TRIBE Member

whatever..

people like D-Monic will continue to talk that way until some kid who has a nack for fruity loops and no records at all walks out and blows him off the decks..

this is the future of djing..

period

v..abstractdatatype

10. Adam Duke

Adam Duke TRIBE Member

oh,....i was expecting to see PostMod saying something about a 'final scratch' here.....

@m.

11. -Mercury-

-Mercury- TRIBE Member

any of you london peeps who might want to get a better look at Final Scratch???

Jon Coe will be on hand with it Sun (3rd), at DJ HQ in london

for more details you can call 668 - DJHQ

tony

12. G-FrEsH

G-FrEsH TRIBE Promoter

Yeah sure FS is cool. ill admit that.. But its jsut not the same.
    Yeah its a change and no ones ignorin it , but its the fact that you know that the track is commin thru the computer..
    and if you have an old track thats really hard to get and you have it on vynil thats sumthin special,
    especailly when its bein played at a club and other djs are havein trouble findin that record then you'll be the guy known for that track. .. ..
    And you'd have to go thru alot of bulshit to duplicate records.
    But if its on Computer.. That can be dupilcated no problem..
    Then instead of you bein the dj that plays that track..
    Its all Djs taht have it.. and that Sucks..
    And the 909 is part of what makes electronic music.. Its what gets put on the record for us to hear. Thats was just a benefit to everyone to add alittle more flavour to music.
    So what..
    Technology is gettin better,
    and im havin fun wit playin wit REason music program on my friends computer..
    but if i had the option of makin music on the computer or have all the equipment rite in front of me.. id take the equipment..
    does that mean elton john is gonna play the piano on a touch screen monitor hooked up to his computer in a big opera theatre... ..
    i dun think so..
    sure it plays all the same notes and all..
    But the feel of it is not the same..

DAve.....

Last edited: Feb 28, 2002
  13. Variant

Variant TRIBE Member

FS has the ability for lighting control. A newer club designed for FS (a real possiblity if this thing takes off) would allow the dj to sychronize the lights with the music between mixes.

14. Gavin the Bass

Gavin the Bass TRIBE Member

this is exactly the kind of product i've thought up while severely under the influence of chemical goodies...

never imagined it using a real record or a standard table, that seems too good to be true (but i guess it isn't)...

on the topic of music morality, i've always thought that dj culture in particular looked beyond 'profit' when creating music, that music in its purest form was motivation enough to create it. this product will make it easier to pirate music, which sucks for record labels, but is amazing for music itself. anyone can play anything they want while dj'ing, regardless of genre or availability (and it will be easier to expose their own material). if you're going to dwell on copyright restrictions, you may as well sit beside every dj in this city when they're playing records live and make sure they pay for the rights to publicly use them.

if you're concerned about making money through music, you shouldn't be making it, thats the wrong motivation. you should make it because it sounds fucking good :)

(and if some dj makes $10, 000 an hour using this final scratch thing, thats just fucking absurd, don't think i support making that much profit of of other peoples music ;))

15. alexd

16. Adam Duke

Adam Duke TRIBE Member

^^^ hehehehe!!!!

@m.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

I watched Richie Hawtin use it for hours last year at Sona....very cool technology.

18. -Mercury-

-Mercury- TRIBE Member

pioneer cdj1000 is as close as you're ever gonna get to the
    real thing

and it's fuckin' wicked.

19. Adam Duke

Adam Duke TRIBE Member

EEEEENNNNHHH!!!

Wrong answer. Go to the back of the class.
    I'm sorry, but CD djing technology still has a long way to go before it ever becomes a viable option.

@m.

20. tommysmalls

tommysmalls TRIBE Member

you haven't touched the cdj1000 then, have you?

21. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

A DJ will also have a MUCH easier time clearing Customs with a laptop rather than a bag/crate full of records.

22. Adam Duke

Adam Duke TRIBE Member

YOU of all people, are advocating this? Gimme your records.

The visual, tactile appeal of djing ain't there! It's a great tool if you don't own final scratch and want to play your own material that you made that day, but other than that...layering tracks is a total bitch....have you ever seen someone manning a 3 cd player mix? Didn't think so.

@m.

23. kodos

kodos TRIBE Member

maybe i'm missing something BUT... mp3s? on a big system? is anyone here fucking crazy?

if i wanted my ears to bleed i'd jam a corkscrew in my ear canal

PS i'm selling all my records :rolleyes:

24. alexd

the quality is outstanding and other file formats are supported

25. tommysmalls

tommysmalls TRIBE Member

WRONG!

dood - you need to chillax with your uber finalscratch idolization.

i've played on all sorts of cd decks (pioneer 500/600, gemini, numark, american dj) so i have the experience to back it up - i'm 100% positive i could lock 3 cd's on cdj1000's faster than you could on 3 technics :p