1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Ferry Corsten @ GUV

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by Special K, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Special K

Special K TRIBE Member

Did anyone go see him? I was REALLY sick so I had to stay home!

[​IMG]

2. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

His entire set almost brought my friends & I to tears.

I loved it every second of it, and I was seriously in a whoooole different world. And I was completely sober.

I loved it, I didn't even mind how crowded it was.

A beautiful, beautiful night.

It made me realize why I love pussy trance so much in the first place, and why I refuse to jump on the progressive bandwagon.

kudos to The Guv & Benson & Hedges for this one. I would've actually paid to see this.

3. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

highlight of my night:

watching 5 HUGE security beat the shit out of some tiny little fucking idiot. Funniest thing EVER.

4. Mr_Furious

Mr_Furious TRIBE Member

pussy trance is right [​IMG]

5. Fin.K.L

Fin.K.L TRIBE Member

Yes!
    It was great night to remember.
    Ferry Corsten rocked the place!
    I could see that people were concentrating to enjoy the music.
    I so enjoyed when he played his own classic 'out of the blue' [​IMG]
    One bad thing was it was overpacked...
    I don't how was upstairs like but there was no room to dance and it was even hard to move around. [​IMG]

6. mandapanda

mandapanda TRIBE Member

to be honest, i don't even know if it was good or not. i spent the whole bloody night wandering around trying to find somewhere to dance where i wouldn't get hit by flailing limbs. or hair. the overpacking made it SOOO not fun. i swear, this was the worst it's ever been. ugh. i felt like i was in a cattle car. so anyways, i'm sure he was really good. everyone else seemed to think so. shame i didn't get a chance to hear anything. and then i get told that mark played XPANDER just after i left. and i missed it!!!!!
    [​IMG]

7. CUZO

CUZO TRIBE Member

I thought Ferry was top. I definetaly loved that he spun alot of the recent good trance thats been floating around. He always plays his old anthems but come on this is Ferry and that why you went to see him in the first place. Oh ya, it great to finally meet you Cheer Bear. I hope you had great time! Sober? WOW!

Manda, are u listening to Liam Kennedy?

8. robg1138

robg1138 TRIBE Member

Why am I not surprised [​IMG] I wasn't there so I don't know what the guy did but the Guv. security are THE worst in T.O. I did see Ferry Corsten there the last time he was @ The Guv. and I had a wicked time.

Robby

9. KillaLadY

KillaLadY TRIBE Member

1. The line-up for Guvernment was long...
    2. Waited in the VIP line for an hour.
    3. Finally I got in, the club was rammed with people... which reminded me why I never go there.
    4. No space to dance anywhere, because of the amount of people laying on the floor completely fucked on drugs.
    5. There were too many Gino's with terrible attitude, where they were pushing everyone.
    6. Did I mention there was no space to even breathe?
    7. The only highlight of the night was Ferry Costen, which played a beautiful set (only got to hear an hour of it), he was the only reason (that and the digital sound at the club) that I went there in the first place.
    8. I left the place at 2:30, I couldn't take it anymore.

I will have the priviledge to see Ferry Costen at Sensations this year, I will be in Amsterdam then.

10. mandapanda

mandapanda TRIBE Member

YES!!!!!
    sooooo good, especially now that i FINALLY have a copy.
    thankyou so much [​IMG]

11. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

One of the best trance sets I have heard in a while. Some will call it cheezy, but it was nice to hear a set in which you know 75% of the tracks by name. Never a dull moment. I debated between going to this or Deep Dish in Waterloo and am SO glad I picked the Guv. Sure there wree lots of TBK at Deep Dish, but hell, you can see those people every weekend anyways. [​IMG]

Only disappointment was not hearing "Flight 643" at all, but instead hearing "Rapture" as Corsten's closing song. Boo to that. Especially since Mark Oliver played it earlier in the night, just before Corsten went on.

Cheers ... Ian [​IMG]

12. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

Just a few comments about your complaints ...

1. The line-up for Guvernment was long...

You should expect it for an event this big. Go early.

2. Waited in the VIP line for an hour.

Not sure when you went, but I waited in the same line for about 10 minutes. It moved really quickly for me at around midnight.

3. Finally I got in, the club was rammed with people... which reminded me why I never go there.

It usually is busy when a guest DJ is there.

4. No space to dance anywhere, because of the amount of people laying on the floor completely fucked on drugs.

During peak times, space in some area is limited. But I never once saw anyone actually laying on the floor the whole night.

6. Did I mention there was no space to even breathe?

You should come to expect this though when an event such as this is held with such a widely known headlining DJ.

7. The only highlight of the night was Ferry Costen, which played a beautiful set (only got to hear an hour of it), he was the only reason (that and the digital sound at the club) that I went there in the first place.

Agreed. You should have stayed ... at 3am, lots of people started to leave and there was plenty of room to dance.

Anyways, my main point was you just have to accept that a night like that will be busy. Just put up with it for a bit and your night will get better as it goes along. [​IMG]

Cheers ... Ian [​IMG]

13. AdRiaN

AdRiaN TRIBE Member

I'm definitely in the minority on this one ... but I actually PREFER a ram-packed club for big trance events. It also makes for better acoustics. [​IMG]

Nonetheless, Ferry Corsten did not disappoint. I wasn't really surprised by his track selection, but the man just has a knack for rockin' his audience! I think trance has a chance of making a little come-back with this "nu-style" stuff.

I'm looking forward to more of the same courtesy of Scott Bond on Feb 23rd. Probably won't be as crowded though. [​IMG]

--------------
    AdRiaN

14. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

Heeeeeeeeeeey....Frankie [​IMG]

It was nice meeting you too hun.

15. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

I saw some guy being led to the back office by like 5 security guards ... kind of a short guy, It was at the end of Ferry's set, about 5am. I wonder if it was the same guy? I am guessing he was caught selling drugs. But when I see stuff like that, it totally downs my mood. I know security is just doing their job, but it sucks to have to watch them in action, cuz it usually means something bad happened.

But the bigger question I had was: "Why the hell did I not see you in there?". Strange.

Cheers ... Ian [​IMG]

16. Fir3start3r

Fir3start3r TRIBE Member

Definately an awesome nite.
    Yea the crowd was pOOpy and I don't think I even saw the dancefloor till 5am or so.
    Too many old Asian crackheads and Ginos for sure.
    Go early?? lol!
    I spent almost an hour just to park and then get in (and I was on guest list!) [​IMG]
    Boo to GUV and their obvious discount of their own headcount/capacity. > [​IMG]
    There are a lot of pissed ppl out there about this problem.
    I've been to GUV before and this was even packed TOO much; defineately more than normal.
    Dispite the shit bouncer attitude and lack of space, Ferry played an awesome set; even if it was a little jumbled.
    Any fan of Corsten would have been able to label 90% of the stuff he played for sure.
    Let's just hope that GUV cleans up their act before someone else does...

17. TraNceAhoLic

TraNceAhoLic TRIBE Member

every fucking day, a few idiots say that guv sucks, which is fine

but lo and behold, a week later, they go back and complain again

just stay the fuck away, maybe if you stayed home there would have been more room

go find somewhere you like, and killabitch, never once has anyone sat on the floor and gotten away with it

stop bullshitting

and for such a tough name, you couldnt handle a few people pushing

another internet loser

ps. VIP is always swift, maybe they didnt want your raver bitch fdco dress attitude

never had i or any of my friends had to wait

18. TraNceAhoLic

explains why you dont fit in

nerd

19. Fir3start3r

Fir3start3r TRIBE Member

Why? Where you one of the crackheads wandering around? Hey man, I didn't realize you were the authority on behalf of the GUV.
    I'm simply saying if the GUV would actually follow entertainment bylaws regarding overcrowding and headcount.
    I was absolutely obvious they were overcrowded (not that I'm surprised) but it just seems a little more than usual. A lot of people I've talked to said the same thing.
    I'm not the only one that feels this way.
    Everyone I've talked to would have gladly paid $10-15 bucks more to keep out the rif-raf and to be with people that really wanted to be there.
    I was there because I never seen him live and I like his stuff.
    Just because I wasn't high/drunk/crackedout/smacked/shitfaced doesn't mean I shouldn't expect a good time.
    I did have a good time; only because it's my own fault if I don't. I'm expressing my dissappointment as much as the next guy regarding capacity limits; that's all. (Believe me there's lots that are pissed with the crowding).
    Trying to read between the lines by saying something like, "Then don't go" is just an easy scapegoat suggestion to a situation that can be changed (and should be).

20. *tranner*

*tranner* TRIBE Member

Firestarter, you'l get used to the various Tribe personalities soon enough. At least Tranceaholic is predictable [​IMG]

21. Fir3start3r

Fir3start3r TRIBE Member

I'm just shocked that someone with such an alias would have this kind of attitude.
    It's an oxymoron.

22. TraNceAhoLic

ill do any oxy

mmmmmmm oxycontin

23. TraNceAhoLic

oh wait

oxycodone

but morphine if i have 2

24. CUZO

CUZO TRIBE Member

Codeine, anyone?
    none for you Brian.

25. CO2

CO2 TRIBE Member

It had been awhile since ive visited ye olde Guvernment nightclub...so i was looking foward to it, and also kind of leery of the serious crowding that was going to go down once inside...and boy was I right.

It was just JAMMED! Now im all about having a nice big crowd at any event..it makes it that much better. But when it impedes on my freedom to dance (as opposed to bopping up and down while having elbows thrown at my face, neck, stomach..you name it), thats when it bothers me. It seems to me that some characters dont know what the word "courtesy" is...the lastthing i want to do is get confrontational, or even scrap with some dood when im trying to enjoy some Ferry Corsten...but besides that uglyness..the music was fantastic!

Ferry rocked the house big time! Playing a few of the well known tracks, and a few ones i hadnt heard before. My only complaint on his set was that the set had no real flow to it...but thats just a minor thing, and really had no serious impact on the set as a whole.

Next stop..Armin in April. I just hope it isnt as packed.

-Chris