Explaining raving to parents.

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by mingster, Mar 8, 2002.

1. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

Since I went to my first party with my older brother, my parents have always been OK with it.

2. DJAlchemy

DJAlchemy TRIBE Promoter

I went with the whole 'new age hippie' angle. They're not stupid, they know whats going on and they know that I have experimented with different things. There are certain things that you probably shouldn't tell your parents though because its just not something they want to take to their grave with them. They are fully aware that I smoke weed and have even caught me and my buds blazin... My mom's pretty easy going for the most part. If she thought that partying was ruining my life or destroying who I am then I'm sure she'd pipe up, but for now its cool.

Your parents will never understand the appeal of a rave. Unless you dose em up good and let them loose their minds to a DJ in the middle of a dance floor... so like I said they won't understand.

Peace & love. D

3. Pyrovitae

Pyrovitae TRIBE Member

disagreed. my mother knows the amount of guys i've slept with, the drugs i've done, she's even smoked dope with me. funny enough, her most desperate plea for me to stay away from *something*, was to abstain from alcohol. (this from the woman who knows her daughter's done coke.)

my father on the other hand...:rolleyes:

i don't really tell my parents about my flirtation with the rave scene because they don't like the music, and it's not a big part of my life. it's something i do for fun occasionally, it's changed my idealology as much as anything else i've experienced in the past 6 years or so. how can you possibly give anyone a summation of a personal epiphany?

*muah*
    ~N

4. Par- T

Par- T TRIBE Member

I avoid the topic.
    I usually just say I'm going "out" and will be back late, any extra info would just cause problems and give my mom more to worry about. She is a pro at worrying so she doesn't need any assistance with it. Considering that when I was younger and didn't call once and came home at 10am only to find that my parents called the police thinking something happened - should give an idea what they were/are like.
    If she wants more info, I just name the venue and say it's a "concert" or a club night and leave it at that.

Mom's usually ok with were I go, but has problems with the times: leaving the house at 11pm or midnight and getting back in the the middle of the morning, especially if it's dark - worried I'll get mugged or something. Saying that there are other people about - leaving for work, walking dogs or joggers just doesn't seem to help. :rolleyes:

5. Par- T

Par- T TRIBE Member

Oh, I didn't mention that I haven't lived with my parents in many years and am well past any age where any of the above is necessary, but parents are parents and you're always their child!

~ Its a bit of a pain but what can you do?

6. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

*bump*

I know more than 30 of you have parents....any more thoughts?

7. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

We dance all night to thumping music, and because it gets fairly hot we don't generally wear that much clothing.

Fuck its actually pretty easy to explain if you don't try!!!

If you try to explain the feelings it provides I think you need some analogies. But I didn't bother to explain the culture I just tried to give them comfortable justification that they could understand.

8. doodlebug

doodlebug TRIBE Member

I started when I was 15 and at the time, the idea of me being out all night at a rave was forbidden - so I had to lie.
    Now they know I go to these events, but I'm not quite sure what exactly they do know or think about what I do there. I know they were aware that I smoked weed when I was younger, and even though I smoke it more now than I did then, I think they thought it was just a 'phase' I was going through. I've never told them about the drug aspect of things, but they see me as a responsible person (which I think I am) and they don't really bother me when it comes to going out and coming home at crazy hours. They just see it as me enjoying my youth.
    I don't think I'll ever bother trying to explain these things to them fully, because they are parents and not as open minded about drugs as some. I figure as long as it isn't affecting my school, work and home life, they don't need to worry about it. Certain things will remain to myself and maybe, one day I'll tell them ALL about it. But I haven't decided that yet.

c'est tout!
    natalie

9. seeker

seeker TRIBE Member

when i first started going i had been living away from home for a few years already. my parents still reacted like it was something to be avoided. but like par-t said, parents are parents... :)

sometimes i bring it up now just to get a rise out of them. they've loosened up about their opinions lately, and avoid being too judgemental. they know that i enjoy myself, and that i've never gotten into more trouble than i can handle.

everyone wants to be understood. sometimes the conflict of interest that exists between parents and children can be pretty destructive. i suppose that we should remember that when we have kids and they're out doing whatever the newest craze is, and we don't really approve.

10. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

People still rave?

Let's face it... raves really are just big drug parties.
    ANd there's nothing wrong with that.

But any pretense of a rave being more than a big drug party is just an illusion (created by the drugs. YAY)

-jM
    A&D

11. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

Well, my dad has always known the kind of music I like, and the places I've been to hear the music....and given his line of work, he has been more than supportive of the choices I make in terms of my social life.

Bias

12. *tranner*

*tranner* TRIBE Member

Dancing is a big part of my parents' social life, ballroom that is. So that's the angle I played when I first told them what I was doing all night. It's also a good thing that I have two older brothers who had to deal with the same thing, althought their approach involved sneaking out or saying they're at a sleepover. One of my brothers actually stuffed his bed to make it look like he was in there, he got caught though :D.

I'm glad I never had to deal with that. I always said I was going "dancing". It's a different kind of music to what they're used to, but they understand the appeal of dancing in general. Other aspects of raves I kept from them though, like how long they'd go on until. Recently my mom approached me about drug use, reading about ecstasy in the vietnamese newspaper. She asked me "how can you stay up and dance for so long if you don't do drugs?" I told her "all I need is lots of water and I can keep going all night, drinking slows me down and so I never drink when I'm out dancing either." Which is the truth, and she believed me.

Dancing to music is one basic aspect of raves that I'm glad they understand, and it's the one most important to me. Other aspects, like mind expanding drugs, PLUR, and stuff like that are things I'll never attempt to explain to them though.

13. Zer0G

Zer0G Well-Known Member

I should have clarified that I was not really talking about “raving”. Too much to explain and this is not the place I would choose to explain it. Just a lot of bad shit went down in the past.