1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us! alexd
    Dismiss Notice

Estelle Getty is suffering from dementia

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by litespeed, May 27, 2005.

1. litespeed

litespeed Well-Known TRIBEr

2. kmac

kmac TRIBE Member

Not Sophia. :( She was the youngest Golden Girl.
  3. kerouacdude

kerouacdude TRIBE Member

and I hear Bea Arthur's having problems with her testicles.
  4. litespeed

actually scroll down... she was the second youngest!
  5. litespeed

6. Mmmmmmladen

Mmmmmmladen TRIBE Member

7. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Evan, you have a really unhealthy fascination with the Golden Girls.
  8. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

Tell me about it. Just go find a cougar and get it out of your system.

btw Estelle Getty, she's great, but.. stuff like that happens with old people. And what the hell is dementia anyways? I suffer from dementia everyday at work, and it ain't hurt me none. Well, barring the catastrophe called my work life.... but anyways....
  9. litespeed

haha... actually I was on the phone with a freind and he started telling me this.. so since i was at work and don;t actually work while at work... i hit up google and thought I would share this wonderful piece of information with the tribe magazine message board. :p
  10. litespeed

I heard that Estelle has Parkinson's disease, is that true?

Estelle has been living with Parkinson's disease for more than seven years. Her doctors have now diagnosed her condition as Lewy Body Dementia. Each day presents a different struggle for her. Three main symptoms of Lewy Body Dementia are:

1. Fluctuating alertness and/or cognition
    2. Recurrent visual hallucinations
    3. Parkinson's Disease symptoms.

She is both appreciative of and strengthened by all the support and concern of her loving fans.
  11. peko

peko TRIBE Member

Dementia is like Altizmers (sp?)...... losing your mind - or it regresses back to certain stages of your life, not knowing anyone's name or who they are - so it's like living with a stranger everyday.

.... think of what Drew Barrymore was like in '50 First Dates'.
  12. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

Actually, didn't she have Adam Sandler grovel and impress her every single day?

Ok yeah, sucks if you can't remember, but at least every day is a new day.

(Wasn't that the point of that film?)

Yeah, ok, cinerama vs. reality. If Estelle's losing it, that sucks, but... shit, she's old, and she had a good run. Now just send her red licorice and lots of other candy. Make her, in her final years, a happy, if not deluded, little monkey. Or I suppose you could just feel sorry for her every day. Yeah, that'll make her bright and cheery...

Um, the moral here... energetic positivity always brightens the day of people on their way out... that last little burst.. they'd be happy for that...

And they might just remember your name....
  13. peko

peko TRIBE Member

lol - but you are on the nose about the small things bringinghappiness to people suffering from Dementia...... I do think everyday is kinda a new day for them..... but my grandfather was more like someone in Groundhog Day - you repeat the same memories and conversations over and over.

Yes - they might remember your name - but that's from seeing them on a daily or regualr basis..... I use to take my Grandpa to church, brought him smokes, chocolates and played his music for him so he could sing.....and I was one of the only family members he remembered (a few aunts and uncles were not cool with this - but literally it's 'out of sight, out of mind').

People with Dementia seem like they are in pain at times - like they know that they're losing it..... it's a tough one to deal with.....but at least everyone has time to accept the eventual loss and deal with it rather then a sudden loss situation.

.... last note - sometimes people with Dementia hold out until they see everyone they want/need to see before they die for some strange reason.

peace to estelle - she was a spunky and wonderful actress....she had CHUTZPAH, fo sure.