1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Epival...med info

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by dlerium88, Mar 21, 2002.

1. dlerium88

dlerium88 TRIBE Member

A very close friend of mine has been told that she should be taking this drug as a treatment for her depression. The only information I've found on it is that it's used for epileptics and the manic phase of bipolar disorder.

Does anyone have any good information about this drug? If you did, it would be very helpful, as I'm concerned about her being put on more meds than she already is on...

Thanks

Ritika

2. Tara

Tara TRIBE Member

well my aunt anne is a crazy retard and she takes 12 a day for real for bipolar but shes always been fucked so i dunno

and my grandfather takes it as a painkiller cuz he had shingles on his forhead hehe so he has like some gross burning forehead and he takes two a day and it doesnt help, plus he has ocd and is on prozac and it interferes with it and makes him act like a retard and repeat things

and my mom was addicted to it cuz it made her sleep and she is a stupid slut so i dont care but she was in the donwood rehab place for three weeks and then when she came out started taking it again for the attention of being addicted to something

get yer friend some celexa

frolics gf takes that, i hear it works wonders

3. Cheeka

Cheeka TRIBE Member

^^yowza SoJu :eek:!?!?
    that's a lot to contend with!

4. stargurl*

stargurl* TRIBE Member

Epival = Depikote
    It's used as an anticonvulsant for epilepsy and they've found it's useful for treating migranes and some psychiatric conditions. However "Divalproex is reserved for people with migrane headaches or psychiatric conditions that have not responded to other conditions."
    It works by increasing the levels of a neurotransmitter known as gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA).
    I haven't found anything saying that it should be used for any psychiatric conditions except bipolar disorder. It's generally used to control manic episodes for a period of no longer than three weeks.
    It may interact with alcohol, antidepressants, antihistamines, pain relievers, anxiety medications, and muscle relaxants.

Are you sure she's not being put on Elavil (amitriptyline)?
    Elavil is a tricyclic antidepressant...

5. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

Cheeka, SoJu and Pest are on about the same level in terms of the amount of attention you should pay to their posts.

6. Cheeka

Cheeka TRIBE Member

haha - yeah I've seen the finer moments.

7. stargurl*

stargurl* TRIBE Member

8. dlerium88

dlerium88 TRIBE Member

Im positive she said Epival...she even mentioned that it is normally used for epileptics.

I don't trust the doctor she's seeing...he's just form western's health centre. And to put someone on something like Epival (which I've heard is used only for extreme cases, and she's definately NOT that extreme)....*sigh*

I think I'm going to try and convince her to get a second opinion...

Thanks Aimee.

9. stargurl*

stargurl* TRIBE Member

Do you know which doctor she's seeing at SHS? I've seen some sketchy guys there.

Get her to request an appointment with Dr. Margaret Jury. I've been seeing her every couple weeks since November and she's great.

10. dlerium88

dlerium88 TRIBE Member

I'm not sure..but I'll find out..and I'll tell her!!

Thanks.

11. Cheeka

Cheeka TRIBE Member

get out?!
    she is the first "Jury" I have ever heard of (other then a name in a phone book) that isn't related to me!?