1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

ELEMENTS - Grand Opening

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by djstressy, May 27, 2001.

1. djstressy

djstressy TRIBE Member

Did anyone go to the Grand Opening last night (Sat-May-26), of Elements in Kitchener ?

PS: I wonder if guys like Kenny Glasgow, or Peter & Tyrone know that when they come down to DJ in the Air Room at Elements in June, that the guy who DJ's in the Main Room, can barely beatmix, and he'll be playing Top 40 Cheese and Retro.

Makes for a good mix of people...haha

Clubbers vs Grubbies

2. Brandon

Brandon TRIBE Member

"Line by-pass" Yeah right...

So they built another Lyric, that seems to be better decorated, but otherwise is almost identical...the cheezy radio beats and tiny dancefloor (in relation to the rest of the club) made it juuuuuuust right.

Where was this 'air lounge' supposed to be? I went upstairs but all I could find was bathrooms.

Meh. At least it was worth the price (free).

3. Nub!

Nub! TRIBE Member

Oh I have some beef with this place, as do all of the other flyer crews in the area, and alittle bit of beef with whoever gave out so many free tickets. Between the 4 of us in our little flyering group, we gave out maybe 50 tops, but there were like 300 people there with 'vip passes'.

And none of our names were on the vip at all, so we almost had to pay for flyering for this club.

It'll all be straightened out though later on I hope.

I stayed in the air lounge for Greg Benz, and only really came out into the main room to look for my friend Roslyn, who I haven't seen in awhile... other then that it was in the air lounge to dance it up [​IMG]

The events may have been slightly ghetto, but I thought it was one of the nicest clubs I have been to in awhile, just the staff had to get worked in abit.

-=Nub=-

4. Kid_Korrupt

Kid_Korrupt TRIBE Member

Speaking of clubs opening up, the Bassmint (Platinum) was open this weekend for some hiphop night. Does anyone know if they will be doing a techno night there?

5. future

future TRIBE Member

I will be back in the K/W in sept, where is this club and what is it like???
    dress codE??music???
    peace

kevin

6. Nub!

Nub! TRIBE Member

Yea, good ol' Platinum [​IMG]
    I donno what they are doing besides the hiphop night though.

Elements is actually really really nice, its comparible to the revolution setup wise, and the sound is fairly good, but the air lounge is bigger in the purple room... I just wish Matlock was a resident [​IMG]

-=Nub=-

Not really any dress code either, just look good

7. Brandon

Brandon TRIBE Member

Seriously, how could I have missed the air lounge??? Not that I'll be going back there any time soon or anything but I wish I could have found it before my hoochie tolerance let up and I had to get the hellout.

8. skiO

skiO TRIBE Member

anyone know the lineup for the next few weeks? how about residents?

thanks

9. skiO

skiO TRIBE Member

since this is in the k/w area i'll ask this question here: I know the rev is tough on ID, and my license has recently expired.. i am wondering if i will be able to get in. I've seen them turn away people without the extra slip of paper that comes with an extended ID... and since my extended piece of paper is expired as well, it will be no use... but i have my health card and birth certificate and watcard... i will be pissed if i can't see dekoze on saturday...

i've already been denied at the liquour store... i almost flipped... when you get your license..you are given 5 years before it expires.... so 16 + 5 =21... but they can't seem to do simple math1!!!!!!!
    oh well...

10. Bass-Invader

Bass-Invader TRIBE Member

i never understood the need for the stupid temporary licence. I thought you just need to be 19 to get it, and that being able to drive is not important. The sticker the dmv puts on your license says "valid photo id only".. does that not mean that it is a valid photo id?

11. Bass-Invader

Bass-Invader TRIBE Member

get in the second sentence should say..in...

12. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

I almost made it...

But then opted to go to the Ren instead for a night of reliable sloppiness.

I suspected "Element" will be a Lyric clone. Oh, it may start off with good intentions, but Kitchener is Kitchener, and the riff-raff will convert Element from whatever it is to whatever Lyric is in no time.

-jM

13. DJ JayMcC

DJ JayMcC TRIBE Member

^^^^^
    Nicely said!! [​IMG]

14. Brandon

Brandon TRIBE Member

Judging by the clientele attracted to the grand opening, I would have to agree with Jeff's appraisal.

The first thing I thought when walking in was that they had built another Lyric. Not as run down, but still...

15. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

my roomate went and said it was pretty decent. nothing spectacular, but still alright. the crowd was very diverse but that'll probably change to a typical lyric-type crowd soon enough, considering Rev was closed most of that bunch will return to their old stomping grounds.

if they are trying to go for the 'upscale' type atmosphere they aren't going to get it with $3 cover and $3 drinks. and especially being downtown kitchener.

i will check it out this weekend.

--craig

16. AMP

AMP TRIBE Member

We want to thank everyone who made it out to the club on the weekend.

To answer a few questions and comments:

Djstressy:
    All DJ's booked for the air lounge are well aware of the top 40 content in the main room.
    Unfortunetly with smaller cities like London and Kitchener it's not feasible to count on the underground to fill in a 1500 person club. I think for the time being having guest DJ's in the Air lounge is much better than not having anything underground at all.

Nub!
    As far as the passes are concerned there are over 5000 passes printed for the Air lounge. Passes are to be used over the next two months (thus no expiry date).
    Grand opening nights are always hectic for guestlists and free passes. As stated previously even some of the promoters and manager had a hard time getting in after 10:00 PM.
    For what it's worth there was a guest line-up but unfortunetly it was as long as the regular one.

The bar staff and door staff will get better with time, I don't think it's unfair to ask everyone to be patient.

brandon
    For those who couldn't find the Air lounge...If you had asked any staff member I'm sure they would have told you where it was. Regardless, it's the room behind the DJ booth in the main room at the very back with the entrance way that says "AIR LOUNGE" on top of it.

SkiO
    Next weeks guests are Peter & Tyrone.
    Contact the club regarding your ID I'm sure they will be more than happy to work something out for you.

I've never seen the lyric so I can't comment on element being a clone. The fact that they were both theatres previous to may have something to do with that.

What I do know is that I've seen clubs in southwestern Ontario and based on that, Elements in one of the most beautyful and most well designed clubs I have ever seen.

As always your questions and comments are appriciated.

AMP
    RISE!/Progress!

17. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

Wait....

is this the place with the world's largest disco ball?

-jM

18. AMP

AMP TRIBE Member

YUP! [​IMG]

19. Greg Benz

Greg Benz TRIBE Member

I'm the resident dj for the Air Lounge at Elements and from what I saw it looked like everyone was having a great time. I was surprised at how open the Kitchener crowd was to the progressive sound that I was playing.

I'm looking forward to playing with the weekly guest's and the sound that they bring. Hopefully our sound will be a big hit in Kitchener and area this summer, as well as into the school year!

The club looks amazing and hopefully the Air Lounge as well as the rest of the club is a refreshing element to the Kitchener club scene.

Greg.

20. djstressy

djstressy TRIBE Member

Hey y'all,

I agree with your reply AMP. I was just sayin' that people in K-W are messed up when it comes to going to clubs.

I've DJ'd in practiaclly every club in the Tri-City area, and people don't know ANYTHING besides music that's on the Radio, or MuchMusic . . . so having a special underground room IS the best thing at the moment.

Even having an international DJ in Kitchener, would not fill a club that holds 1500+ . . . there's just not enough people around here who are interested, or even know who any of them are. Like Morillo, Sneak, Sanchez, etc, etc.

PS: I was only joking about the guy not being able to DJ. He's my buddy Matt from Guelph. He's cool. Respect Bro ! . . .and he can beatmix. : )

Cheer's to eveyone who liked the new club Elements. (Which I agree will be the Lyric #2 if they still allow the University Crowd clientel in the doors wearing hats and street clothes)

out.

Steve H

21. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

we'll just see about that on the 16th [​IMG]

DJ....FUNK!!!

p |_ 8 o <----hyped

22. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

i am moving this to the party review thread

23. Isaac S

Isaac S TRIBE Member