1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Element and Gaetano

Discussion in 'Techno Room' started by ladd, Mar 24, 2002.

1. ladd

ladd TRIBE Member

I was just scanning through the old gaetek coming to element thread and realized that there was no price stated. There hasnt been much talk about this event, and havent seen any advertisements, is it still a go?
    if so, how much and is anyone coming from the board?

2. ElektroTekBabe

ElektroTekBabe TRIBE Member

Yeah, I will be there for sure. I'm really in the mood for some HARD techno. I've been listening to a lot of elektro lately, and kinda been ignoring the tek-lover in me. So, I owe it to "techno" to hear his set.

Besides, Element is a nice place, and I'm sure people will have tons of fun there. Plus...my ears wont hurt for two days after (like his set at Turbo.....ouch!!!).

Hope to see you techno lovers out there.

3. ladd

ladd TRIBE Member

i'm pretty sure he's playing a tech house set though, under gaetano parisio..
    so i wouldnt be expecting any hard stuff, but it would be nice :)
    however his last visit he pounded it out, so i'm pretty excited to see him work the more groovey, funky maybe even minimal stuff..

4. ElektroTekBabe

Tech-*HOUSE*???? WTF? why?!?

:(

5. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

BLUE EVENTS

THURSDAY MARCH 28TH - GAETANO PARISIO - SOUTHSOUL NORTH AMERICAN TOUR
    ELEMENT 553 Queen St, Toronto.
    The 5th annual Blue long weekend fiasco (don't forget Friday is a holiday) with Adam Marshall, Jeremy P. Caulfield, Brendan Costigane & Dub Rocket $10 BFR 11:30 $15 after.

6. BigBadBaldy

BigBadBaldy TRIBE Member

Why not?

BBB.

"Fuck Genres", remember? :p

7. ElektroTekBabe

I know "Fuck Genres"....but I never liked house to begin with, and I still don't. Now I'm kinda iffffffffy about going. Well, after a few Vodka+Red Bulls, I'm sure even cheesy-mousy-housy will sound OK.

8. Hal-9000

Hal-9000 TRIBE Member

He's playing a tech-house set because it's a promo tour for his Southsoul label which -- in my understanding-- is the imprint he releases his housier material on.

9. oddmyth

oddmyth TRIBE Member

Southsoul = techno and disco house.

There has yet to be any house on this label. With the exception of that very Daft Punk-esque track that came out on Southsoul 5.

I wouldn't worry too much about not hearing techno that night. That is if you really dig Italian club techno....:eek:

I'd go see him this time, but he almost destroyed my hearing with his high end eq'ing last time I saw him. I won't take that chance again. I could barely hear out of my left ear for almost two weeks after the show.

Cheers
    [odd]?[io]

10. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

i'm pretty sure that had more to do with turbo's sound system then gaetano's djing techniques. just a thought...

11. oddmyth

oddmyth TRIBE Member

No it wasn't Turbo, I didn't see him there.. It was Platinum in Kitchener and mind you the sound system sucked, but he had the high's cranked the entire night. When I used to play there I would keep the mids and highs a little below zero db, just because the highs were always cranked on the amps.

He was seriously destroying people's hearing. I know of a few other people who danced in the middle of the floor and had their ears ringing for days.

I would assume the Turbo treatment to be equally deafening.

Cheers
    [odd]?[io]

12. vench

vench TRIBE Promoter

I still get shivers when I think of the time I saw Gaetek and Carola at Tonic on 4. It was probably one of the best dj performances I've ever seen. Two of my favorite dj's indeed.

So, this Thursday, Element will be host to the mighty Gaetek and his Southsoul Tour. I'm not working on Thursday, and I have a feeling it's gonna be packed. All I need now is someone to go with.....

*searching around for people north of highway 7*

vench

13. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

i'm north of 7. :)

14. vench

vench TRIBE Promoter

you going?

Keele Valley Land Fill.

vench

15. ladd

ladd TRIBE Member

i live north of hwy 7 as well, on hwy 27, near king city
    never heard of keele valley though..

16. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

i live 2 seconds away from the keele valley land fill. i'm at major mac and keele, and i'm most def going to see gaetano.
    drop me a line at nesta1978@yahoo.ca.

ladd, i'm always in king city. a good friend of my lives in the kingscross estates (jane and king side rd). where u at? r u going to gaetano?

maybe we can all link up... :)

17. derek

derek TRIBE Member

Don't worry, you'll enjoy...besides tech-house is an overrated, overused term (I hated it the first time I heard the term 4 yrs ago) to attract an older crowd. It's funky techno...that's all.

Cheers,

Derek

18. poker face

poker face TRIBE Member

His "Techhouse" is more on the techno side anyways. It has a darker driving beat which makes it more easier to dance to then your average techno.

also yes derek techhouse is an over rated term just like house or techno. Where do you draw the line at what is what anymore these days.

19. ElektroTekBabe

Funky techno I can handle! :p

20. BigBadBaldy

BigBadBaldy TRIBE Member

Yeah, I guess I sometimes forget that a lot of people don't dig house. For me, there's just so many different sounds to house and techno that I can always find something of either spectrum that I enjoy. I don't like cheesy house, but I don't like shitty techno, either.

..but it's the differences that makes the big bad beautiful world go round. VIVE LA DIFFERENCE!!! JE T'AIME, TOUT LE MONDE!!!

BBB.

My turtle is named Senor Pooglins.

21. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

gaetek = techno = yes, please!

gaetano parisio = tech-house = no thanks.

<-- not going.

22. ladd

ladd TRIBE Member

nesta:

i actually live in nobleton, (haha) i just say king city because people generally seem to know where that is.
    i am definitly going to gaetek on thursday,
    but i'm going to be going from downtown
    but us north kids should definitly meet up at element
    email me at: ladd@the-wire.com

peter

23. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

nobleton, eh! nice area.

e-mail has been sent.

where's vench?

24. ElektroTekBabe

Yeah, I totally agree with you...I don't like shitty techno either. In fact, I have been getting really deep into elektro and breaks. The last techno event I've been to was in Germany (3 weeks ago)with Adam Beyer, Gayle San, Anthony Rother and Sven Vath....and to tell you the truth, I only really enjoyed Anthony's and Sven's set. Adam Beyer was too hard an repetitive (boom boom boom) Gayle San was not too impressive either. Sven has been getting into the funkier techno....what I now call 4/4 elektro a.k.a ElektroTek ;). So I guess you're right, there is cheese in all genres of music. I hope Gaetano will spin a funky set. If not, I always have Miss Allien to look forward to! :D

25. vench

vench TRIBE Promoter

I'm still here. Although I just remembered that I made plans for Thursday night and completely forgot about them and I highly doubt that the person I'll be with will want to go see Gaetano.

Foiled!!

I guess I'll mix a cd of all Gaetek shit today so I can get my fix.

north of 16th............

vench