Downtown People!

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Guest, Mar 11, 2002.

1. PosTMOd

PosTMOd Well-Known Member

For Pest (aka the resident retard):

Punctuation: It's yours to discover!

2. doodlebug

doodlebug TRIBE Member

I think they both have their advantages and such.

Me, personally, having grown up mainly in the downtown and Yonge & Eglinton area, I find it comforting that I can go outside and walk somewhere or take a short ttc ride to go to school, work, and see friends. I actually don't mind taking the TTC at times because I love observing all the different types of people commuting and interracting. It's like a new adventure every day on your way somewhere. And that I can see really old buildings and have easy access to museums and galleries and clubs and restaurants.
    Living in the suburbs means you always need a car and I can't help but feel a sense of desolation when I do happen to be in some of those places.

But that's just how I feel...
    hmmm.. concrete jungle

nati:D

3. vinder

vinder TRIBE Member

GO TEAM EAST YORK!

4. Sassy

Sassy TRIBE Member

burbs = ass

I grew up in North York and found it really boring, I prefer living down town to living in a suburb but then again I have always been an urbanite. Living down town works really well for me since I don't have a car and work right beside the Eaton center. I understand why people choose to live in the 'burbs but I don't think I ever will even if I do decide to get married and have a family. To each their own I guess......

5. teknikal

teknikal TRIBE Member

Mississauga

I've lived in Mississauga all my life, and although it is nice from birth to about age 16, it sucks after that. There just isn't much to do.

And what Cheer Bear says about lot sizes, it's true. I don't know what part of Mississauga you reside in, but I know that the further west you go, the newer the houses are, and the shittier the lots are. My friend's backyard is about the size of a backyard in Toronto, and she has a nice view of a transformer.

My parent's home is right in the older East Mississauga, about a 15 minute walk to Toronto (the former Etobicoke), and our lots are actually decent! We have enough room for a swimming pool, garden and the swing set i had when I was a kid. Now that's something you can't really get in Toronto, unless you live in Forest Hill, etc. etc, and you can't really get that in west sauga either, unless it's Mississauga road.

Above all, the burbs are good for youngsters and old people.

teknikal

6. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

I never:

Go west of Dufferin
    Go North of Bloor
    Go east of the DVP

Unless absolutely necessary and even then I'll just stay at home instead.

Downtown rocks. It stinks but it rocks.

*c*

7. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

Now this is totally only my opininon, but I honestly don't care about having stuff like a "decent sized lot", a backyard that I can make an ice rink in, a proper porch, a big garage, etc. Also I honestly don't have much in common with 99% of the suburb population.
    It may be some people's dream, but it has never been mine. I dropped that one when I switched from engineering to social work.
    I didnt't grow up in the suburbs and I did fine as a kid. As far as road hockey goes, where I grew up, we played at the school yard.
    The ice rink where all the neighbourhood kids played at was a city run one, 10 minute walk and was outdoors with real boards, benches nets and floodlights. I also know alot of people in Toronto who have nice, little gardens in behind their houses. And also everyone still has neighbours to "gossip" about if they live downtown.

As far as I'm concerned, other than having a bigger lawn to mow and a bigger house to show your buddies at work, you can get everything you want and more downtown. Except it all has a bit more flavour.

8. poker face

poker face TRIBE Member

I with you there KickIT

Last edited: Mar 11, 2002
  9. kerouacdude

kerouacdude TRIBE Member

You also have to consider that many downtown didn't grow up here.

Part of the appeal of coming here is the kind of downtown living not available in smaller cities.

If we wanted to visit or live in the burbs, we'd return to the suburban-like smaller cities we came from, 'coz just about all of them are nicer, greener and more interesting than the suburbs of Toronto.

I lived on the North York/Scarb border my first year here out of necessity...wasn't exactly a toddlin' part of town, and hazardous to the health of any pedestrian

Chris (live in Parkdale, never venture north of Bloor other than for work purposes, and consider one block E of Yonge, "The East Side")

10. *SiLver*RoBoT*

*SiLver*RoBoT* TRIBE Member

We have a decent size lot at our house, but most new houses in the burbs are quite small - lots on these new houses are insanely small. I like it, but I also miss the city.

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

11. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

i've lived downtown for over 5 years. it's definitely where i want to be at this stage in my life.

i'm glad i spent my grade school years in the suburbs though. you can't beat things like pool parties, road hockey, backdoor barbecues, camp-outs, bike trails everywhere, meeting the catholic school in the ravine for big grade school rumbles, etc.

you don't know the benefits of having a massive backyard unless you have one.

11 norhead avenue - how i miss you.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

I grew up in north york and it was the best.
    I feel sorry for kids that grew up downtown they had to grow up to fast!

13. AdRiaN

AdRiaN TRIBE Member

TTC

Yes. Where else can leering perverts, crazy-talkers, and those with an aversion to proper hygiene all gather together in a tightly confined space?! :)

14. Guest

Guest Guest

It appears you still have some growing up to do......

15. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

Ha ha!

I don't really think you can argue the merits of the city Vs. the burbs. I think it's personal preference. I grew up in North York and I liked it. I think I'll want to live downtown when I move out, but as far as raising children, I might even want to do that in the country! Hell, with all the shit that happens in the city now....

But yeah, I think it's about preference. There is something for everybody. Choose your preference, and enjoy it, and let others enjoy theirs.

Ming.

16. doodlebug

doodlebug TRIBE Member

Why would you feel sorry for people who grew up downtown? I grew up in a single parent household, downtown for a long time and I think it was good for me. By the time I was in grade 3 I was telling the new bus-driver which streets to take and my mom knew she didn't always have to worry about me. When there was no bus-driver, I would take the TTC. It made me independent and very responsible at a young age and I don't think that's anything to feel sorry for.

I think living in the city is great.

natalie

17. SUNKIST

SUNKIST TRIBE Member

i live downtown, and anything that isnt at church/wellesley, bay/bloor, young/college is to far for me. :)

18. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

Haha... Welcome to my neighborhood.

Yonge/Isabella... 2 blocks from everything.

No Frills
    Pizza Pizza
    Macdonalds
    Burger King
    Harveys
    Taco Bell
    Spring Rolls
    Zing
    Garlic Pepper
    Rabba Fine Fewds
    Green Mango
    Timothy's, Starbucks, Tim Hortons, Coffee Time, Country Style
    Gym on Yonge
    The Bay
    HMV
    Uptown Theaters
    Varsity Cinema
    Rogers Video

Just to name a few

You can live here and never go north of Bloor, or South of Wellesley. East of Jarvis or West of Bloor.

It's the best place to live.. and I like it

Nickers

19. BigBadBaldy

BigBadBaldy TRIBE Member

Word! to the one like Destro.

that's a GREAT book.

On the topic at hand, I'm an expert. I grew up in:

a) Primarily EVERY corner of Northern Scarborough (not that Beaches shit that some people CALL Scarborough. Let's talk Finch from Vic Park over to McCowan, in various abodes over 8 years),

b) Brampton (4 years)

c) AND Mississauga. (1 year)

My conclusion?

The suburbs are ASS. I would have MUCH prefered to grow up downtown. We used to just come and hang out downtown anyway.

BBB.

Strip malls, schoolyards, basments, people's cars.

20. Loopster

Loopster TRIBE Member

Here, here!!! You just can't beat the variety and sense of liveliness within the city limits!! If I wanted to be surrounded by stripmall after stripmall, I'd move to the burbs ... Sure, you may get a larger lot in Mississauga or similar ... but for me it's an issue of quality over quantity .... nothing beats hopping on the subway & being in the heart of things within 1/2 an hour!! Toronto is where the *fun* is!!

L (formerly of Kingston, Ontario, so I know a tad about suburban boredom ... I loved growing up there & can definitely relate to *SiLver*RoBoT*'s comments, but I feel that once you reach a certain age, Toronto is the place to be!)

;)

21. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

I read this very interesting article in the Star this weekend about Toronto and how the rest of the country hates us and laugh at us when we ask for more cash. Especially those in the GTA who suck our perverbal cocks.

United they stand - against Toronto

Quick points:

- Toronto generates $4 billion more in taxes each year than it receives in grants and services from the federal and provincial governments.

- The city's reserve fund, for use in financial emergency, has dwindled to $400 per resident. In neighbouring Peel, it's $1,300 per capita.

- Federal and provincial governments collect 95 cents of every tax dollar taken from Toronto residents, leaving the city with five cents to cover everything from policing to garbage collection.

*c*

22. Par- T

Par- T TRIBE Member

Done the 'burbs
    Done downtown
    Prefer downtown!

I liked my childhood in Scarborough, but I was lucky- nice house, good size front and back yard, walking dist. to school, park and stores (big up to Pharmacy & Ellesmere). There are definate drawbacks. Spent some unfortunate time in Markham - major pain in the ass getting anywhere without a car and can't walk to anything.
    Once older, though, downtown is the place to be, nice and close to everything, no need for a car (which is a good thing since I don't have one), walking dist. to stores, retaurants and entertainment.
    Now I'm in Parkdale - only a half hour to Yonge, walking dist. to lake/ CNE/ bike path, grocery store at end of my street, etc.

Only one thing left to do - I WANT A CONDO!

23. redeyes

redeyes TRIBE Member

YOU DAMN RIGHT!!!

downtown is just a quick subway ride away. greek town an even shorter ride, and the beaches are right here. btw, i lived in brampton pretty much all my life, and honestly....LIVING IN THE BURBS BLOW!!!!!! i go back quite often because my familiy and friends are there, but there ain't shit to do. (except go to strip joints).

peace

24. Silverback

Silverback TRIBE Member

Burbs I think are fine for the years upto university/college. After that (for me) it's downtown. I hate living in the burbs, where if I want to go out, it's the long drive home that makes me decide to stay home. If I want to go pickup some food or go shopping. I have to get in my car and drive. I drive everyday to work I'd like to be able to put a jacket on, and walk down the street and have some life to the street other people out, not just driving there car.

<--- Would love to live downtown, can't afford it alone.

25. cosmic

cosmic TRIBE Member

to me, nothing beats etobicoke, as long as you are close to the subway line.

i grew up there, but we moved to mississauga cuz its cheaper, but now we want to move back because it's just too far. =/