Downtown People!

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Guest, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

What is wrong with people in this city and why do they think everything is so far, especially downtown people.
    They think Yorkdale is really far away! LOL!
    I love downtown but the way people act who live downtown makes me sick. There are different parts to toronto that most of the downtowners will never know nothing about.
    Shit people who live uptown get to see different parts of the city and the surrounding suberb, vaughn, richmond hill, mississauga that downtown people never get to see.
    You guys talk a lot about traveling but most of you havn't even seen your own city.
    Next time someone talks about a different part of the city, instead of knocking it check it out you might have fun.
    I know you are sooo cool you live downtown you pay high rent, you pay $2.00 an hour to park you car, you don't have to deal with empty spaces like parks but hey make it up north, west, or east go about 20 minutes and you will discover a whole new world.
    Toronto its yours to discover!

2. poker face

poker face TRIBE Member

lol, Why Pest, Why?

3. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

you seem angry, here's a joke to cheer you up!

Little Johnny is a most shy and insecure boy and is taken to the Circus. Made to sit right in the front by his Auntie, and on come the Clowns. Immediately one runs to him and, thrusting a microphone under his nose says “Are you the front end of an Ass?” “No” says Johnny. “Are you the back end of an Ass” “No” he replies. “Then I declare that you are no-end of an Ass” says the Clown triumphantly. Little johnny runs straight home in tears.

His Mum says you must confront your fears to exorcise them from you forever and sends the poor boy back to the Circus the next day, only this time with Uncle Jim who is a master of the quick quip and witty repartie...

“Watch your Uncle and learn” says Mum.

Next day and poor Johnny is back in the front row, but this time with Uncle Jim, master of the quick quip and witty repartie. Enter the Clowns, who this time make for Uncle Jim (master of the quick quip and witty repartie). “Are you the front end of an Ass” they ask Jim, a master of the quick quip and witty repartie. “No” “Are you the back end of an Ass” “No” says Jim, a master of the quick quip and witty repartie. “Then I declare that you are no end of an Ass”... But before the audience can react, Uncle Jim, a master of the quick quip and witty repartie, quick as a flash says “... Fuck off you red nosed, big shoed cunt”.

4. MalGlo

MalGlo TRIBE Member

hahahaahahahah go will :)

pest, go! :)

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Sorry I am just really annoyed. I am at work bored but I usually have to help people out with service issues and I try to explain locations like Yorkdale for example and they seem to think its in a different country. It only fricking 15 minutes I tell them but its no use they think its out of this world.
    Sorry got to get back to work!

6. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

Oh yah, I forgot about how nice strolling in the miles of malls, plazas and sprawl of houses that look the same is in Mississauga, Richmond Hill, etc. I'll never get to appreciate the beauty of the cul-de-sac.

Fuck Tha Suburbs.

7. poker face

poker face TRIBE Member

Nice Basic!

I lived in Oakville for 5 years and the burbs really annoyed me. Sure If you are older and raising a family the burbs may be alright. But when you are younger downtown is the place to be. I have everything I need in pretty much walking distance that I really don't need to leave my neigbourhood. I can walk home from all the clubs and walk to work everyday.

See if you can do that in the burbs!

8. Guest

Guest Guest

If your in the burbs you need a car but I would take it anytime over downtown!

9. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

I live at Yonge and Bloor, and I travel all over Toronto and the GTA... but then again, I have a car.

What bugs me is when you meet someone while travelling, and they say they live in Toronto, and when you ask where do you live specifically, they say Brampton, or Milton, or Oshawa. That's not Toronto!

Granted it's the GTA,... so say GTA

Anywho... This is a stupid rant. But it bugs me anyhow

Nick -

10. Guest

Guest Guest

What colour was your car pest? It was dark when I kicked in the door the 1st time......

11. Adam Duke

Adam Duke TRIBE Member

Geez, Pest...you never stop complaining about something! You even complain about others complaining! Doesn't this depress your girlfriend, being around you all the time? You need to lighten up, buddy.
    Seriously.
    Maybe you need to get out of the customer service industry if it gets you so irritated all the time.

Life's too good to waste your time on negative energies.

@m.

12. BigBadBaldy

BigBadBaldy TRIBE Member

YEAH YOU STUPID BITCH!!! WHY DON'T YOU~

..uh, I mean..

(stroking chin thoughtfully) Yes, sage words of advice @m.

BBB.

Did this make any sense to you? Me either..

Which is scary, cuz I wrote it.

..but you knew that already, didn't you.

..unless you maybe thought this was Dan posing as me, which it most surely is not.

..or mingster.

..I love MoFo.

There. I said it.

13. djcheezwhiz

djcheezwhiz TRIBE Member

i think both have advantages...

growing up in the burbs of eastern toronto i think i had the best of both worlds...i lived above a beautiful park which allowed for amazing year round outdoor activities...pickup baseball & soccer games, tobogganning, ice skating, caputre the flag...i was only a 10 minute bike ride from getting out of toronto entirely & spent a lot of time cycling up past the zoo & onto some great roads north of toronto which were built for clear blue summer days...

however i always have had a love of the city...nothing better than queen street to wander along & check the record stores, the clothing stores & stop off at one of the many amazing restaurants...wander along yonge, to sams, hmv north to bloor & along bloor...u of t downtown campus is spectacular (i'm a little biased) at any time of the day, the rom, the ago, down through kensington & along college...

although i don't live right in the core (mainly due to the fact i have a pretty good setup right now with an excellent roommate) i still spend most of my time downtown (work & weekends)...i think sometimes i would like to live downtown & be able to walk to work every day (have afterparties :) ), but at the same time i have recently been drawn back toward the outskirts of toronto...(i always picture my perfect summer afternoon being spent in the same type of field where in shawshank he has buried the box of money underneath the rock, a rolling hill, trees & blue sky stretching out forever)...

both have advantages (although i'm not a fan of the standard suburban sprawl mentioned by a few), & both have disadvantages...

john

14. 416

416 TRIBE Member

Dude, why are you all fixated on Yorkdale. I hate that place. My old roommate lives up there (it's not downtown by the way) and I totally act like it's another country. Why? I dunno, there's nothing up there that I don't have down here. Also, I don't like malls, that joint is just another mall.

Anywho, you don't like downtown. Congradulations. Stop comming here.

15. djcheezwhiz

djcheezwhiz TRIBE Member

actually i should add...

when you live downtown you understand the costs...ie parking, higher rent, higher property taxes...& when you live in the burbs it's expected you need a car to get your groceries, spend time commuting...it's basically the opportunity cost of choosing where you want to live...

john

16. Cheeka

Cheeka TRIBE Member

LOL @ Klubmasta :D

eww the burbs suck...
    I have no interest in discovering mississauga etc.

17. dicksherwood

dicksherwood TRIBE Member

There are so many reasons why the suburbs are bad.

The worst is that those who live there feel a need to come into the city all the time...how do they get here?...well since their lives revolve around their cars what other method of transportation would they use? Therefore they pollute, they consume unreplaceable fossil fuels they clog traffic, they make it more difficult to get around, they encourage the building of monstrosities like the Gardiner and DVP. I grew up at Yonge and Eglinton and there was no lack of ice rinks, ball fields, outdoor basketball courts, playgrounds, trees, big green lawns and fat back yards. Toronto has so many parks, rivers, ravines plus all the amenities you get living in the city, especially the diversity of food, music, clothing, art...Sorry is anyone rebuilding a museum in Mississauga? Any new sports franchises locating in Richmond Hill? Any theatre groups performing original plays in Brampton? I live and work downtown and you know what? I have no need to go out to the burbs, what the hell am I going to find there that I won't get downtown...well I guess there are the men with big guts from eating bad fast food and driving everywhere or the women who look so harried from having to drive their kids 10 miles to everything they do...my mom never had to drive me anywhere because I could walk to whatever I did, I learned independance young and rode the rocket.

I feel bad for kids who grew up in the burbs...there wasn't anything they got that I didn't yet I was exposed at a much younger age to a vastly superior set of ethnic differences, artistic experiences, culinary delights and cultural happenings.

Developing the areas surrounding the city for low density residences is a waste of important farmland, promotes the use of cars (which is just bad), pollutes valuable sources of underground water and eliminates natural habitats.

The only good thing about the burbs are the golf courses, but I'd happily sacrifice them if it meant that the burbs would just...disappear.

Dick

18. Destro Sanchez

Destro Sanchez TRIBE Member

BOMB THE SUBURBS

amazing book by William 'Upski' Wimsat

a must read when it comes to the whole suburbs vs downtown debate (and of course the state of hiphop in america)

Destro

19. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

hey, lay off the burbs!!!

unless you can afford a home in forest hill, lawrence park or rosedale, you HAVE to move to the suburbs in order to get a decent sized lot - a big backyard that you can turn into an icerink in the wintertime, space to build a proper porch, deck or snow fort, room for the kids to play a proper game of road hockey, room to hang a tire from a tree in the backyard, room to plant tomatoes, carrots and green onions, a big garage to fill with crap that you'll never use, neighbours that you can get to know, borrow tools from and gossip about, etc. etc. etc.

all that and the benefits of downtown are a quick subway/car ride away.

(former) scarborough massive reprazent. :)

20. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

there are no decent sized lots in Mississauga. They make your backyard/front yard really small so there's more room to build houses. It's horrible.

My lawn is smaller than my drive way. My trees are only 14 years old, and not strong enough to hold a tire.

Although, my street is nice and quiet, and many a hockey game were played.

I still hate it though. I refuse to drive, and with Mississauga's "superb" transit system, it takes me an hour to get anywhere.

It's boring. It's plain.

21. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

i hate those goddamn housing developments that companies make on old fields or gravel pits...they suck.
    every house looks the same or similar, the rooms are either too small, or the dinning room & living room is too small.
    the backyards are shitty, the basements are never done, they look so boring and they lack sooo much character.

we've been house hunting and havernt found anything as perfect as my current home. unfortunately its rather old now and we need to find someplace new, but no house is big enough for us or our furniture (which we refuse to sell, its hardly been used and we like it dammit!)

p[l]a+0

22. kodos

kodos TRIBE Member

there was a time when the promise of a healthy childhood in the suburbs of toronto was a real possibility... i was 7 when i moved in to the house in the fresh subdevelopment that was essentially vast tracts of dirt and rusted machinery - a truly industrial landscape that had only recently replaced fields and forests. but in those early days the workers laid fresh sod everywhere, coating the murky brown shores of unexplored backyards with a furry green blanket of expectation. it was a wild time, with all the neighbourhood kids playing under the sun on that unrestricted swathe of grass that ran down everyone's back yard... but that didn't last more than a month. the politics of parents began, fencing contractors reaped great rewards from mistrust and segregation, and soon enough there was no open field... just a row of cubicles, with each kid in their appropriate spot. the miasma grew from there, fueling the developers with easy money for shoddy construction and planning. nowadays the whole area is a bleak wasteland complete with stunted trees, yellow grass, and naturally dominated on all sides by vast mega-complexes, theatre units, chain restaurants, and bargain wholesale depots. they'll give you a place to live that isn't home, then try to sell you everything you don't need. you'll be ousted on grounds of status... you live in the suburbs, so do you have a car? would a hunter go without his gun? you become a part of the culture of waste...

23. mystique0217

mystique0217 TRIBE Member

oh wow. pest, you sound like a chunk of negative energy.

what's up wt you?

are you always like this??

hmm.

when i read the *please help me change* thread, nothing clicked me..cause i had no clue about who you are..but wow.
    you really are negative. congratuation :)

i stop now cause i really do not know what to say..

anyway.

good bye.

-Kumi

24. AlyG

AlyG TRIBE Member

See, I grew up in Toronto (East York) and had the best of both worlds. My family has a huge backyard and live on a dead-end street with a ravine on the opposite side. It really feels like you're outside of the city esp. when the summer comes around. I think that people just have to look beyond the high-priced / elite neighborhoods in the city and they'll find some enclaves of "nice places to raise a family". What gets me is that developers are tearing down the older houses and building the massive, boring suburb-castles which ruin the city's areas. "Now wait, is that my house or do I live three doors down?". No thanks!
    -Will, nice meeting you. Go east-TO!

25. mystique0217

mystique0217 TRIBE Member

you know pest, it is great to stimulate others to have a vision that you have..but that does not mean that you need to be negative to force others to see what you see.

just chill out and stop gaining all these negative emotions within you. just try to accept things for what they are. no need to gain anger or annoying thoughts all the time. if you wanna talk, cool. just chill and discuss..not complain about everything dude-

"if you want to complain about your life, complain about yourself. if you do not agree with what/who you are. you can change it. only you can help it."

peace

-Kumi