1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

DOS help...

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by sohaness, Mar 16, 2002.

1. sohaness

sohaness TRIBE Member

hey people,

anyone know what the dos command to copy whole directories is??

i want to copy my windows installation, program files, system files, etc...from my c drive to my d drive because i want to use my d drive as my boot drive (change it to master, etc...)

i cant do this in windows because necessary windows files will be in use and cannot be copied.

also, i want the destination dirs to have long filenames, and not the dos program~1 style - or whatever it is.

any help would be appreciated!

thanks,
    steve.

2. stargurl*

stargurl* TRIBE Member

You'd use xcopy but I'm not sure which flags you'd need, esp. for long filenames.. can you even do that with xcopy?

it would be something like xcopy c:\windows\*.* d:\windows\*.* /e/s/h I think

3. stargurl*

stargurl* TRIBE Member

Actually.. something like Norton Ghost would make this process fairly easy for you.

4. Swamper

Swamper TRIBE Member

If you want to maintain long file names then just opening a dos window and using xcopy is NOT going to work since you'll get the same sharing violation - and if you boot up in full DOS you won't get the full filenames..

So - create the d:\windows directory and then go to your c:\windows (make sure to checkmark Tools->Folder Options->View->Show Hidden Files and Folders beforehand)

Highlight everything except your win386.swp (swap) file and copy it over to d:\windows

Make sure to copy your c:\msdos.sys and the other hidden/system files located in c:\ to your d:\ or you can just go to dos and do a sys d: to transfer those ones over (I believe) and make sure your main partition on D is set to active so it can boot from it once you switch it to be the primary drive

5. sohaness

sohaness TRIBE Member

would norton ghost just image the whole partition? or allow me to select what i wanted?

the thing is, i dont want everything on c to be copied to d, because i have mp3 backups and stuff...that's why i want to do it manually...

steve.

6. Puma

Puma TRIBE Member

You can't do that in dos..

The only way you could do it is by copying the whole hard drive to the other one using Norton Ghost.

your better of re-installing the whole thing.

If you just copy the windows directory over it will not boot from that drive. don't even bother with doing somthing like that..

Litle P

7. sohaness

sohaness TRIBE Member

im not _just_ trying to copy the windows dir.

steve.

8. Sporty Dan

Sporty Dan TRIBE Member

xcopy WILL maintain long filenames if it the version in the c:\windows\command\ directory, even if you boot in DOS mode.
    what stargurl posted will work.
    but you also must copy the root directory.
    "xcopy c:\*.* d:\*.* /h" without the subdirectories. This will copy the registry and a couple other things.
    and you DID format the other drive with /s first, right?

dan.

9. Swamper

Swamper TRIBE Member

Well I assumed the OS was 95, my bad.. this was fixed in 98 and up though.

"Also, long filename support is not enabled in MS-DOS mode, Safe mode, or Command Prompt Only mode" (Source)

So.. yea..to make it sound easier:

1) Create d:\windows, go to c:\windows and highlight all dirs/files except your win386.swp file - copy all the selected stuff into d:\windows

2) Highlight all folders on c:\ (except windows) and copy to d:\

3) Boot up from floppy and run fdisk and make sure your d: partition is set to active.

That's it - I've done this dozens of times for client systems when I didn't have Drive Image Pro/Ghost handy.