1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Donald Glaude @ turbo

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by MalGlo, Jul 7, 2001.

1. MalGlo

MalGlo TRIBE Member

wow!

this guy can pump up the crowd!!!!

some really nice tracks.. some wierd mixing... some arm waving and some wild scratching...

"put your fuckin hands in the air"- donald glaude

got to bed at 4:48 this mornin.. woke up at 6:07 to head to work for 7... nice 12hr shift ahead of me.

"where theres a rev theres a way" - me

this coffee tastes like water

Can't wait for donald glaude to come back to toronto.

Dave

2. KiX

KiX TRIBE Member

I'm not going to address my bitterness towards not being able to hear Steve Lawler spin tonight.

Nor will I justify my actions in coming to Turbo after calling everyone a slut who was going in my efforts to get more out to system. [​IMG]

However, despite my broken heart over missing out on Lawler (no Chris, Steve Lawler didn't purposely lose his records cause he heard I was coming)... I had an AMAZING night with the one like Donald Glaude.

Glaude's set was sooo full of energy. Some really hype tracks, and that scratching...ooooh the scratching. His energy and excitement behind the decks was inspiring. I wish every dj would manifest their love for the music so outwardly. The crowd around the decks was fucking going INSANE. It was "hype", indeed. Admittadely, Donald Glaude's set made me forget about what I was missing and I was actually happy to be there.

"MAKE SOME FUCKING NOOOOISE!" - Donald Glaude '01

It was fantastic seeing the usual suspects out.

Oh, the jungle downstairs sucked.

=tina= <--needs to get up in 3 hours

3. Suke

Suke TRIBE Member

Since when do I post a review at 9:00am?

Anyways, Glaude was on point but I was expecting a bit more. Whatever, I'm a picky mofo. He was good. Really good but I guess because it was in a club I got the club tracks as opposed to the :BIGPARTYTRACKS:. Whatever, I can deal.

Props to within-without for going down in the history books. Really, Really nice talking to J-Hi and headwinds 'longside KiX.

!!!GONNA ROCK MUTHA FUCKA LIKE
    THREE THE HARD WAY !!!

Who's Your Daddy? ===============================> Suke.

P.S. San Diego is callin' my name.

4. I had fun meeting up with you guys in the line up.

Minister of but went elsewhere.

Highsteppa

5. twinstar*dj

twinstar*dj TRIBE Member

hi tina

your e-mail was really pleasant to read as i like to see how nights go at Turbo when i miss them, and even tho this was a house review thread and i would usually be reading drum and bass review threads, i am genuinely interested. what disappointed me was after your well written review, at the very end you wrote, "oh the jungle sucked downstairs". we all know each other in the scene, and you know who the djs are and they are putting on this night so you can enjoy yourself on a friday night. if jungle isn't your taste, that's fine, but that kind of comment is a slap in the face to the djs who spin drum and bass and actually do an incredible job at it. if you don't like what they play downstairs, then don't come down. but who are you to judge that it sucked? i'm not going to review Shimon and then add at the end of the e-mail "oh the house upstairs sucked". that's just out of context and unnecessary, and i obviously wasn't up there long enough to generalize the entire house room and all the djs and their sets that night.

just skip the negativity please.

cynthia.

6. discodancer_j

discodancer_j TRIBE Member

was a good time

Donald was doing just great for the first hour of his set...the rollin' funky shit that i like..and the he went with that progressive stuff...barf...

seeing all the familiar faces was great, it's been a long time since Turbo looked that busy...

peace
    janICE:>

7. Lurch

Lurch TRIBE Member

ok lay off tina she knows her music and so do i!! I went downsatir because like her, i like to change up my night and hear different beats......the jungle did "suck" down there when i went down the first time but later when it was dying down it was a little better but not much..... "if jungle isn't your taste, that's fine, but that kind of comment is a slap in the face to the djs who spin drum and bass and actually do an incredible job at it" jungle is her taste and mine ...just good jungle......and drum & bass is a "different type" of music i am not sure why you are acusing her of not liking jungle and the going on about the dj spinning good D&B ..........get ur facts straight next time =) PEACE ...CHILL

Lurch

8. squirrel

squirrel TRIBE Member

i also agree that the jungle downstairs sucked......

9. dj bombtrack

dj bombtrack TRIBE Member

SICK

Just absolute sickness.

I really admire a DJ that can work a crowd over as well Donald Glaude did last night. His creative scratch skills, perfectly timed cuts and crowd pumpin tracks. I've only seen him in a club, so i'd be really intrested seeing how he works a crowd of 5 - 10,000 people.

I guess I'll know when he spins at the Mekka bash.

Ryan

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Keyword: Review!! Look it up!!

11. CO2

CO2 TRIBE Member

hehehehe...*mUah* [​IMG]

Fantastic night! Glaude, as always, kicked ASS..unfortunately, i couldnt stay inside and enjoy his whole set cuz a little asian man dragged my ass outside. *grrrr* ..lol

But nevertheless, i had a great time, thanks in part to all the beautiful people i saw last night reprezentin! [​IMG]

-Chris

12. Guest

Guest Guest

I wasn't there, but I hear the Jungle downstairs really sucked.

13. originalVIBE

originalVIBE TRIBE Promoter

i thought u dont like jungle??

14. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

EEEEWWWWWWWWWWW!!

Donald Glaude.....U SO NASTY!!!!

Ok so I made a last minute decision to skip System last night since I heard the late breaking news that Mr. Lawler lost his disks. So I went for plan B. Hey I will admit that I'm not a big fan of Turbo or the crowd it gathers but I knew Mr. Nasty was a sure bet despite not going to Systemsoundbar.

Big Props once again to Tim Patrick who wuz keeping it real once again. By real...I mean... REAL HARD!! My boy does not play warm up music before the guest DJ hits the stage. *cough* like some other djs *cough* Thanks for pumpin that Green Velvet Track.... [​IMG]

And then Mr. Nasty hit the decks....and you could smell the difference. He was so funky, I started to wonder if I forgot to use my deodorant! Naw...not me....I was just dancing! Donald was the funky funky brotha!

It is so refreshing to see yet another DJ who enjoys what he does, is a perfectionist at what he does, and pumps the crowd by cradling them in the palm of his hand. Not a dull moment here.....the boy can scratch like Q-bert, stop on a dime, and then hit ya with another bumpity bump track! Techno? House? Breakbeat? Can u classify that crazy shit? What a sick and nasty futhermucker!

This may seem kinda lame but I think I lost my mind with the Jacko Remixes....

"I want to love you....PYT....Pretty Young Thing"
    "So ya Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'"

I never heard Michael sound sooooo hype! and the crowd was luvin' Mr. Nasty back too!

You gotta love it when he starts to pump his arms in the air!!

Moonshine Madness Y'all!

Peace Party People!

15. me

me TRIBE Member

Holy hambone!
    Special props goes out to Hooker for coming out strong.
    And that's what it's all about.

16. True Blue

True Blue TRIBE Member

Oh shut up Suke you are a picky mofo indeed. That set was so inspiring and he knows how to get a crowd going.

He is a rare bread of DJ that always gets the crowd into his sets which is the whole point of being a DJ in my eyes. Crazy props to the one like Donald Glaude and i hope to see him at another large party cause he goes nuts at those...

mmmm big parties...

True Blue

17. terrawrist III

terrawrist III TRIBE Member

ys dear, but you didnt get the new "syndicated" LP!

18. KiX

KiX TRIBE Member

First off, jungle is my thing. I love it, along with many other styles of music. One thing that I love about going to Turbo is the selection...I've got one love upstairs and one love downstairs. I have been to countless fridays at Turbo, and have many a night enjoyed myself both upstairs AND downstairs.

That night, i did not enjoy myself downstairs, despite several trips down to check if it was getting better.

It's a review, not an ass-kissing session.

If i thought it sucked I have every right to voice that opinion, and so i did, and I still hold to it. It's not negativity, it's a critique.

Deal wit da mattah.

=tina= [​IMG]

19. j-Hi

j-Hi TRIBE Member

oh my god, donald glaude never disappoints! i saw him for the first time at turbo last fall...i didn't think he could top that performance, but he did! as soon as he took the decks, i started to dance...and dance...and dance. no one knows how to hype up a crowd like this man...people were going absolutely crazy! it was awesome!

some of the builds just blew me away! like it would get to a point where i was sure it couldn't go any higher....but then he took it to a whole new level before dropping in the bass. damn!

as always, it was good to see many of the tbk in attendance! (and it was really nice talking to you too, suke!)

time passed so quickly...the hours flew by on the dancefoor...before i knew it, the crowd had thinned and the lights had come on. i didn't get a chance to sit down for a break...and i never made it downstairs to check out the jungle.

big props to the guy that did a flip in the middle of the dancefloor at 5-something in the morning...WEIRD! did anyone else see that?

all-in-all, a fantastic night! my faith in turbo has been restored...see y'all there this friday!

jess.

20. air-bag

air-bag TRIBE Member

hmm...
    I should have been there

21. joey

joey TRIBE Member

I got there pretty late but had a great time

Must give it up for all my generous friends that greated and treated me from 1:30 - 2:00
    Geoff, Jay and (nice to meet) Tyler - thanks guys

Not much of a house huy meself, but there are a few house djs that can get me groovin and donald is definitly one of them!

Usually when I go out after work it is more of a social thing for me, just to unwind and chill, but saturday I danced liked it was nobodies buisness!

It was defintly good to see donald again, and was a perfect way to kick of a very memorable weekend!

22. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

This was my first time in Turbo in several months and I don't think I could have picked a better night to attend. I arrived around 11:20 and heard the last hour of Status and Double Jay who rocked it in the basement. Some top notch mixing was unleashed from these two Aurora boys who are representing the sound of their "Harsh Realm" EP which was just released on Vinyl Syndicate. Sniper came on and was MC'd by the talented MC Trajady who proved once again that he has some of the best flow of any Toronto MC. However by this time I was craving the sweet sounds of House music so I ventured upstairs.

Tim Patrick was in full form warming it up proper for Donald Glaude. The half hour or so I heard leading up to Glaude was phenomenal, proving that Patrick is one of the most talented house DJ's in the city of Toronto. When Glaude stepped into the booth he really began to turn it up a notch laying down a dancefloor devastating set that rocked Turbo for close to three hours. His tracks varied from hard techy house to a more funky break oriented style and he even through in some (dare I say) "trancey" hard tech around the two hour mark. While this genre bending may not have gone over well with some of the more devout house heads, this is the kind of programming that really throws me into a frenzy. Toss in some well executed scratching and the hype factor that only Donald Glaude knows how to deliever and what you're left with is the most danceable sets I've heard in months. I couldn't stop moving unless it was to head over to the bar to grab a couple more drinks. [​IMG]

The amazing people in attendance just made the night that much more enjoyable. It was wonderful seeing Dlerium88 who it is always a pleasure conversing with. Running into Suke was one of the highlights of my night, it was a shame that Glaude didn't drop Chaos Bringer by Toronto's own DJ Jelo because I know for certain that Suke and myself would have just lost it. Norm (420 Guy) and our dancfloor session that was very called for brought a smile to my face, massive respect to Norm for always bringing the vibe. I met a whole bunch of new people on Friday as well: Futronic, Jmaggs, Lurch...all upstanding gentleman. I briefly met Loress who is every bit as nice a person as her brother Ian (Eclipze) and I think she was accompanied by Kix but I didn't introduce myself. Last but certainly not least I met the wonderful Smiley Jo who was nothing but fun, this girl can really rip up the dancefloor and is every bit as nice as her online persona would lead one to believe. A pleasure partying with all of you. [​IMG]

All in all I had a fucking blast at Turbo which is without a doubt in my mind the best club in the city of Toronto. Two floors that never fail to dissapoint and a crowd that puts most others to shame. The one like Donald Glaude had me moving my feet for hours and that is what it's really all about, additionally his skills as a DJ both technically and programming wise were truly inspirational.

Fun. Fun. Fun.

Spence

23. ~Loress~

~Loress~ TRIBE Member

What a wikkid (and very VERY drunken)nite! Donald Glaude yet again ROCKED the club...this man NEVER disappoints. It was great meeting Spinsah, wow you're a cutie! [​IMG]

-Goldielocks

24. twinstar*dj

twinstar*dj TRIBE Member

doh! apologies girl - didn't know you do like dnb as well; i misinterpreted it as another diss to the "jungle room" without reason, thinking you were just another house fan who must voice how much she thinks the room downstairs sucks. that's too bad it sucked that night, it was the "Syndicated" release party and you'd think it'd be a decent night since there was so much hype for the making of this album. what made it suck downstairs that night?

25. KiX

KiX TRIBE Member

No worries... but when you assume you make an ass outta u and me. [​IMG]

Downstairs was pretty barren everytime I was there. I was surprised, I'm usually pushing my way through people and bouncing off of flying elbows to find some dancing space. I had no idea it was a release party, and i guess no one else did either, or there might have been more heads out. Combine a lack of people, with what i found to be completely lacking and uninspirational tracks (just not my kinda jungle i guess)...I coudln't deal with it. I tried dancing to no avail....meh, you can't win them all.

=tina=