1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Don Berns aka Dr Trance Rest in Peace

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Bernnie Federko, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

A king has died. Long live the King!

RIP Dr Trance.

technics1200technics1200technics1200

[YOUTUBE]CG1tg30xCCU[/YOUTUBE]

2. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

[YOUTUBE]uiWWVh703uc[/YOUTUBE]

Wow..... Toronto legend..... Very sad.... RIP.

3. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

David Marsden via FB:

4. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

5. Just found out through my facebook feed.

So sorry to hear that a giant in our community passed.

6. stargurl*

stargurl* TRIBE Member

RIP Don :( you were a legend!

7. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

Noooooo :(
    rest in peace Dr Trance

8. futronic

futronic TRIBE Member

"For Those About To Rave, We Salute You"

:(

-- Jay aka Fut

9. ian

ian TRIBE Member

Now that is super sad news. RIP Dr.!

10. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

Oh damn I just saw on this FB...so sad. He was one of the guys I immediately recognized from the radio back in the 90s and loved listening to his sessions.

RIP Dr. Trance.

Lobo

11. stryker

stryker TRIBE Member

RIP Dr Trance.

12. The Kid

The Kid TRIBE Member

13. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

dude was on like half the lineups of the raves I attended back in the day. Such a giant. Truly cared about the scene and just loved dance music up down and sideways. Genuinely nice guy in person too.

RIP Dr Trance

14. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

RIP Don, you will be missed

15. Variant

Variant TRIBE Member

Such an ambassador to the scene in the early/mid 90's. Listening to his radio show Saturday night before hitting a party was a necessity for so many. He usually had the headline dj on as a guest regardless of who was organizing the rave that night. When I think of the golden years Dr. Trance was central to it for that reason and many others (Nitrous/Atlantis, CFNY etc). The scene has lost a legend... RIP.

16. Aphrodite

Aphrodite TRIBE Member

RIP Dr. Trance!

17. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

18. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Donnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!

RIP Don Berns aka Dr. Trance, friend, fellow raver, wicked DJ, and a pioneer of the Toronto electronic music scene. I was so fortunate to have heard him spin many times but will especially remember his killer set at the last TRIBE BBQ under a small tent in the pouring rain. I will miss screaming Donnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!! at him whenever I saw him and hearing Alexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx!!!! back from him in return in his excellent radio voice. I know he will be dropping killer sets in heaven or making plans for the next giant party up there.

19. derek

derek TRIBE Member

Sad news indeed. Rest in Peace Don

20. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

this has hit me like a ton of bricks this morning...gonna take a few days to process...but until then, this one's for you don. thank you.

21. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

His radio show was instrumental to me in my falling in love with dance music.

Thank you Don. We'll really miss you.

22. Brandon

Brandon TRIBE Member

Back when raves were these mysterious happenings that felt like they were out of my suburban reach, there was Dr. Trance on the radio letting me in on the secrets.

Rave hard and trance out, Doctor.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  23. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

I am absolutely heartbroken. Don was a very good friend and I miss him very much.

He touched so many lives and had such an enormous impact on so many communities. He was a founder and Godfather of Toronto's Rave Scene. He was a huge radio personality. Actor. Improv. 1groove.com. CFNY. Effective. Host of the biggest Pride events. One of the greatest voices of all time. a.k.a. Dr. Trance. a.k.a. Foonman. He rocked more dance floors than anyone I know.

He emceed my wedding. He was the best host I could imagine. My wife fell in love with him instantly, as did we all.

I am happy that he met my daughter, which was the last time I saw him, at Katrina & Jelo's baby shower last month.

The last time I spoke with him was just last week. He was about to enter a new retail lease for one of his business ventures. He was excited and, as always, full of life and energy. We ended the call strategizing about how to ensure we would get midnight sneak preview tickets to 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' - i.e. how early would we have to start checking cineplex.com every day so that we could buy our block of tickets before others, to get the best seats in the house at the first showing at Scotiabank IMAX.

He, along with Jelo and Timmy, were the only ones I knew that got as excited about stuff like that as I did. I loved talking comic books and superhero movies with him. He was living proof that one need not grow up as one grew older, and I loved that about him.

We will miss his pond parties. We will miss his wonderful sense of humour. We will miss his companionship, his emails and his hugs.

Deepest condolences to his family and best friends.

We love you, Don.

24. kriztian

kriztian TRIBE Member

RIP in Don what a great loss

25. bombthreat23

bombthreat23 TRIBE Member

WOW, so sad....he was a great ambassador for the Toronto scene back in the day.