1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

does sex in the city sicken anyone else?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by deep, Mar 23, 2002.

1. deep

deep TRIBE Member

Pigeon holing guys into the same cliched stereotypes in the same way that women have protested for ages

Facades of strength and independance when it's really just fear of being vulnerable or hurt that seems to drive their decisions

I find it ironic that even if guys were to act in the way that these women seem to want they'd never feel it because of all the defense mechanisms they've got up

2. -Mercury-

-Mercury- TRIBE Member

well, if you don't like it, there's a lot of other channels out there.

you could always just.....not watch.

<---doesn't really like S&TS, so he doesn't watch it

:p

3. deep

deep TRIBE Member

what's her face : "I do a column called Sex In The City, now I'm researching women who have sex like guys do."

mr. whatever : "Huh?"

what's her face : "Without emotions. Just have sex and don't care afterwards."

mr. whatever : "I take it you've never been in love."

THANK YOU MR. WHATEVER

4. deep

deep TRIBE Member

I just find it gross that people eat this shit up

Like, why? What does being confrontational towards others achieve when you want the exact opposite?

PS. I couldn't find anything else on TV

5. -Mercury-

-Mercury- TRIBE Member

this world is full of morons, frankly.

and i wasn't really being confrontational.
    you'll notice i was sticking my tounge out at you in a jokeing manner. :)

<----don't get me wrong, i've caught myself watching that show for longer periods that i would like to admit. but it was sheerly for the t&a factor.

6. deep

deep TRIBE Member

I wasn't saying that you were being confrontational. I was saying that the attitudes these women cop on the show seem exactly opposite of what you'd do if you wanted to make yourself emotionally accessible to meaningful people.

7. -Mercury-

-Mercury- TRIBE Member

oh, nevermind then

8. Stormshadow

Stormshadow TRIBE Member

So what exactly is this show all about?
    I've never seen it. All I can piece together is that it's about some middle age sluts in New York.

9. -Mercury-

-Mercury- TRIBE Member

that about sums it up.

10. mcbee

mcbee TRIBE Member

i like the show!
    sex, good clothes, NYC, hilarious stuff about guys, hot girls....definately entertaingin.

and the first two episodes tonite!

:)sarah

11. Dam That SnarkEE Kid

Dam That SnarkEE Kid TRIBE Member

mcbee -- Here, here! the show *is* great. The only thing better is the "reality tv" REAL Sex and the City.

deep -- I agree with you on some accounts, but they lump and categorize everyone (male or female) as some sort of stereotype or cliche. As for the scenarios and the men they describe, I don't think they are actually that far off the marker. And I suppose you've never lived in New York City, before. :)

New York City is a fucking dater's paradise. Everyone goes for two reasons (i) To make it big (ii) To find Mr/Mrs Big.

The place is just a 24/7 meat market, and people are on the prowl for new dates everywhere...

.StEEvEEdEE.
    -The secret is to be hot, or have a million dollars-

12. zoo

zoo TRIBE Member

i like it

it's entertaining

me and my gf have seen almost every episode thanks to kazaa and bravo

13. Trini

Trini TRIBE Member

I have the first 2 seasons on DVD. Well worth my cash.

14. -ravetrash-

-ravetrash- TRIBE Member

deep, I'm glad this show pisses you off as much as it pisses me off.

15. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

well deep you stumbled upon the irony of the show

4 women who think they know men in and out
    dont know shit

hence why neither can find themself someone to create a stable relationship with.

just watch it and appreciate what its good for (t&a, laughs, "yo go girl" type moments, shoes, etc, did i mention t&a?)

it does get better though, you say this is the first time you watched it??

p[l]a+0

16. Mr_Furious

Mr_Furious TRIBE Member

*NEWSFLASH* reality tv isn't actually *reality*

more like manipualted reality

17. deep

deep TRIBE Member

Plato - it's not the first time I've seen it but I get what you're saying about the ironic element to it all . I just wonder if most people take it that way

Stevee D - I haven't lived in New York or a similar big city, maybe it would do me some good, I still have some goodwill in me in need of being killed off

and that Samantha chick is not hot

I just always think of her leg warmer wearing role in Bonfire of the Vanities

18. dimpy

dimpy TRIBE Member

deep, that was the first issue that aired last night, give i another chance, you might grow to like it, try not to go in continuing to hate it.

i think a lot of women put on facades of strength to deal with the hurt and that's just the point. thus the show's 4 main characters, all with pretty different attitudes towards love and relationships.

you do kind of get that carrie isn't able to have sex like a man by the end of the episode.

like real people the characters change and grow, learn and unlearn their mantras about men ect. (samantha falls in love in the last season). nobody's perfect and their are some misinformed, sexist stereotypes that pervade but it kind of reminds me of real life.

i think the show is very good. definitely a nice adaptation of a book that seemed pretty unadaptable.

19. deep

deep TRIBE Member

Hi dimpy! Hope to see you out soon.

I don't hate the show. I just have an aversion to the whole "yo go girl" ricky lake jenny jones type mentality. I think there's a difference between being confident and secure enough to be kind to other people, and using faked confidence and security as a reason to abuse other people. Men and women included. I don't think men and women are fundamentally that different when it comes to emotions, the differences arise in what people do with those emotions. I just object to the way that guys are pigeon holed into "emotionally inaccessible, only interested in sex, self centered" stereotype. It doesn't help make anything better between and with the sexes. I can only speak for myself, I'm sure there are piles of people out there to support the stereotype. But then again, there are piles of people to support any stereotype you want.

20. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

Love it. One of my favorite shows.

Me and my Dad sit down and watch it every Sunday night. :)

21. PosTMOd

PosTMOd Well-Known TRIBEr

I think it's one of the few shows that's actually funny.

All other comedies, with their overly loud canned laughter, and cliched re-doing of old Three's Company episodes are just unbearable.

Not that I watch any of them.

Television: the new opium of the masses.

22. BigBadBaldy

BigBadBaldy TRIBE Member

Fuck no! Sex and The City is one of my favourite shows EVER. The writing is hilarious and often insightful. IMO.

In regards to the stereotypical characters and the blanket generalizations sometimes employed it the writing, they are quite often used as reflective tools for the characters to realize and manifest as opportunites for change and insight into their OWN characters.

I don't find the characters to be too stereotypical, though. Sometimes exaggerated, sometimes a bit hard to relate to, from where I'm coming from, but as far as the men in the show, throughout the seasons there are many different types of male characters portrayed while avoiding negative male stereotypes.

The situations and dialogue on the show are great. Sex and the City makes me fucking laugh out loud a lot, and that's rare for me and TV, comedy writing in general.

BBB.

Gimme a cosmo, and let's go shopping for shoes.

23. PosTMOd

deep, you're a big ER fan, aren't you?

Wanna discuss stereotypes? ;)

Hell, for that matter, any show. Stereotypes are accessible to the broadest demographic, hence the use of them. Film can break outside of conventions, television rarely does.

Brings up the questions: How much is TV involved in building people's stereotypes? That is, is the stereotype there first, and TV copies it, or does TV disseminate the "proper" stereotype to the masses?

24. deep

deep TRIBE Member

I guess you have to watch it regularly to the get the subtle humour and nuances about the characters and issues. I shouldn't judge the show after only seeing it a couple times. It's just that some of what I did see put me off.

25. PosTMOd

Fuck that, don't watch tv at all.

It'll rot your brain, and give you the gay.