Do you own stocks?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by kuba, Feb 26, 2002.

1. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

Related to the RRSP conversation, does anyone here own STOCKS on the TSE, Nas or NYSE? If so which ones? ANyone out there wanting to make some recommendations on stocks theyre watching? I own CAE, ERTS and XSP, the SP500 tracking stock. I'm looking at GNSS, AEOS, (on nasdaq) and ABK on TSE.
    q.

2. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

I own stocks. I took a bath on the tech slide. Perhaps in 10 years they'll be worth what I paid for them.

That is all :(

3. stir-fry

stir-fry TRIBE Member

i bought onx.com stocks when they ipo'd.

i'm an idiot

4. twist

twist TRIBE Member

i'm a smart kipper I makee lotso money. Cough railroads cough.

5. Gizmo

Gizmo TRIBE Member

My largest holdings are Spydrs (SP-500 tracking stock) and XIC. (the SP-TSE tracking stock)

If you held these two stocks over the last 5 years (the spyder, XIC was only created a few months ago) you would have beaten 75% of the actively managed equity mutual funds out there.

6. zoo

zoo TRIBE Member

i had ivi for a few years [they make debit card swipers .. look at the back of a swipe machine next time you make a purchase and it will either say IVI or VERIFACT or VERIFONE or something like that

it dropped to half it's worth for a long time and i held on until it bounced back to .75 what i paid for it

bad decision buying that one.

since then i've followed the market without actually investing [losing] money.

7. Gizmo

Gizmo TRIBE Member

I think I probably hold the record for owning companies that have filed for bankruptcy.

Woof woof.

8. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

i decided to leave it to an investment broker to do these things after i purchased timberlane software, bid.com and nortel.

i still have some in nortel - i'm in for the long haul now.

--craig

9. Finch

Finch TRIBE Member

Now's a good time to invest in gas...

Low gas consuption levels due to warm winter = losses for gas company = low trading price.

Hang on and hope it's really cold next winter to make up for it.

I play the markets great when it's fake money involved.

I'm too frugal and conservative when I'm using real money that I could possibly loose.

Finch.

10. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

I only trade on the NYSE and NASDAQ because there's not enough movement in Canadian stocks.

I used to own ERTS so I've been sort of watching that stock since. It's been hovering the $50-60 range lately though.

Bought PECS (NASDAQ) right after Sept 11th and the stock went up about 200% in about 3 month period, now it's back down a little from it's high. Too bad I sold it too early(sold it at about 100% return), but I guess that's how the game works.

I currently own EMC and it's down a little from what I bought it at, but not by much. Not much movement from what I bought it at ($2-3 each way).

Pete

11. djcheezwhiz

djcheezwhiz TRIBE Member

cough cough "stockbastard.com" cough cough :) ... i remember one client a few years ago running in to open a discount brokerage account so she could buy this really hot IPO...i casually explained to her a) the account wouldn't be ready to trade the same day & b) the price she seen the ipo issued at, would be nowhere near the price she would have to pay...

she freaked & stormed out...i bumped into her a few days later & she had cooled down a little & she apologised...

anyways the stock was palm, issued around $90US i believe & closed today below $3US...

jc

12. T_Dot_House

T_Dot_House TRIBE Member

I own PVN on the NYSE. I bought it @ $2.74 last October because of the great potential of it. Looks like it could make a big break on a bounce from the rebound of the markets. Plus, they've just hired a lot of great names to their executive roster. I could be wrong. But I'm doing pretty good so far. I want to buy a condo in downtown T_Dot!

Any of you people have any other recommendations?

Sean B :p

13. vox

vox TRIBE Member

i was going to open a self-directed rrsp and start trading on the tse...

but i'm not really sure how or where to start...

just curious where people get their information from...the business section? forbes? how closely do you have to follow what's happening?

14. PosTMOd

PosTMOd Well-Known Member

My old man got rid of his Nokia stocks (about $40,000 worth) back in the early 90's when the company was almost going bankrupt.

The idiot could have been a millionaire. Oh well.

If I ever get a few thousand to play with, I *will* make a few bucks...

Biotech, people, biotech... the next few years, there will be a lot of millionaires being there-- but watch out for the scams...

Seriously, a lot of hype about genomics, and unless you know a bit about biology, you will get burned.

15. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

It depends. Do you want to do alot of work? Most people do not. if you do, you should shell out $400 and do the Canadian Securities Course. If you know about stocks etc. you should read The Motley Fool guide to Investing, Warrent Buffet Corporate Essays and Ben Graham "The Intelligent Investor" and any book by Peter Lynch.

I read the following:

www.fool.com (they have a great message board but you got to pay to post, not to read)
    www.investor.com
    www.investors.com
    finance.yahoo.ca and .com (both great for research and estimates)
    www.sedar.com (for canadian companies filings)
    www.edgar-online.com (for US companies filings)
    www.smartmoney.com (for great interactive charts and info)
    and
    www.bigcharts.com for great charts!

My advice to you? Buy what you know. If you understand genomics and biotechnology, buy it. If not, stay away. If you understand routers and packet switches, but it. If not, stay away.

If you understand SHOES like Nike, buy it!

q.tip

16. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

I recommend the following:

WGO -- winnbago. Had a huge runup but 17 of the 20 best performing stocks in the 90's were already expensive by valuation standards and they soared. Winnebago is a great story. Growing market share for old folks, and there will be a LOT more old people around.

SKX -- skechers. Is it a fad or a trend? Its down from the mid 40's to mid teens. Its trading in the 50- and 200-day MA range. I'm betting that it will do some moves to high teens/low 20s.

GNSS -- maker of flat-panel semis and software. Flatpanels is where its at. It will grow 100% this year. It has fallen from high 60's to high 30's. Time to buy?

CAE -- makes flight simulators amongst other equipment. I own it and intend to keep adding for 3-6 year time frame.

MTI.b on tse-- microcell, or FIDO as we know it. Cheap as hell. Losing cash but owned by Deutsche Telekom and Verizon (has financing in place). Growing subscriber numbers.

That is all for now.

17. Sonic Ruffian

Sonic Ruffian TRIBE Member

ONX offered me a job with them almost two years ago... they were offering me stock options at $6.50...

pfff... good thing I didn't take it, would have been downsized downsized in their first wave.

Stick with bank bank stocks... boring, but stable.

Ruffian

18. joey

joey TRIBE Member

no i don't have any stocks but thanks for asking

19. T_Dot_House

T_Dot_House TRIBE Member

Re: Re: Do you own stocks?

I agree with you 100%. I do the same thing.
    I've lost money in the Canadian markets and make money in the US! Coincidence? I think not!
    Plus, its great to make profits in American dollars.

20. juice

juice TRIBE Member

GNSS paid for my last vacation and my upcoming one:) Thank god for that stock I got into that about a year ago when it was still decently priced and it just skyrocketed. It has come back to more reasonable levels lately but I can still see it gaining once again. In fact I've been thinking about getting back into it.

21. T_Dot_House

T_Dot_House TRIBE Member

WOW! :eek:

Look @ GNSS now! Do you think this a good time to buy or do you think it'll go even lower? :confused:

Thanks in advance,

Sean B