1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Do not enter for 10,000 years

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by matty, Mar 12, 2002.

1. matty

matty TRIBE Member

In the US they are creating the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant. This is a space where nuclear waste is to be disposed of in some sort of underground storage complex. One of the challanges facing the project is how to mark the area in such a way as to deter any inadvertent human interference with the site for 10,000 years. 10,000 years is a long time and it would be naive to think that the whoever is around then would hve historical records of the purpose of the site, let alone understand english warning signs should they survive that long.

Think about what we would do today if we were to find any ancient sites of human activity. We'd explore them probably. How do we keep any future generations from exploring this site in the future? Thre is an interesting paper here |
    http://www.halcyon.com/blackbox/hw/wipp/wipp.html |
    by the team of scientists given just that charge.

a warning sign
    [​IMG]

a possible landscape design to deter people from entering
    [​IMG]

2. Cheap Ego

Cheap Ego TRIBE Member

It would be much more naive to think that humans would still inhabit the earth in 10,000. Much less in a physical form.

well.. maybe criminals or something.

3. kodos

kodos TRIBE Member

too damn interesting.. stealing it

4. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

You never know... maybe in 10,000 years, there will be signs like these on every street corner...

-Nickers

5. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

I'm sure that a few web shots from The Goatmeister would keep anyone out.

Pete

6. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

that's so cool!

i'd figure monumental skull and crossbones would the way to go. the human skeleton probably will not change so much that a skull is not recognizable as a mark of death in 10,000 years.

7. AdRiaN

AdRiaN TRIBE Member

Goatmeister

I'm sure he could fit quite a few used fuel rods in there. :)

8. matty

matty TRIBE Member

A tomb can also be represnted by a human skull. Humans have a track record for investigating places like that, just look at Eygpt, Rome, and Greece. I like the idea of making it appear to be a very evil place via creative landscaping.

For some reason I think the people who live near this place are going to have developed 3rd arms and magic in 10,000 years.

9. Subsonic Chronic

*lol* @ Adrian. :)

Another idea would be to make an Indiana Jones-style cave/tomb complex that adventurers would have to traverse before reaching the precious waste below. There could be pit falls, spears, huge rolling boulders and all sorts of boobie traps. But the best part would be the look on the faces of those who reach the end only to find a pile of nuclear waste.

Pete

10. junglisthead

junglisthead TRIBE Member

do what the past has done, and incase the area with a huge pyramid.............

11. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member

Celine Dion - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

12. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

i would think their goal would be almost unattainable, to keep people out entirely that is. and they know that, from the site:
    ^^^^harsh but valid. i think one has to assume that no matter how much warning and how foreboding you make the place, somebody is gonna get hammered and decide that all this is a ploy to hide the treasure.

the more ominous and evil it is, the more somebody will think there is something hidden there.

realistically we could probably hid the place, bury it underground, but then there is always the chance that people will find it by accident or settle above it.

13. twist

twist TRIBE Member

meh anyone stupid enough to try to investigate a nuclear dump deserves to glow.

14. roo

roo TRIBE Member

i bet they're putting something in there that isn't nuclear waste.

15. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

there's aliens in there!!!

16. Subsonic Chronic

The body of Jimmy Hoffa?

17. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

case in point.

18. Karim

Karim TRIBE Member

I just wanted to say that this is SUCH an interesting thread.

Thanks alot!!

:) <---- Very interested
    Karim

19. BigBadBaldy

BigBadBaldy TRIBE Member

What? I'm..

20. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

^^^^hahahah rosey! :D

curiouser&curiouser indeed

p[l]a+0

21. AdRiaN

AdRiaN TRIBE Member

Waste

I know one thing is for sure ... in 10,000 years people will probably still be pronouncing it "NU-CU-LAR" instead of "NU-CLE-AR". :)

22. Boo

Boo TRIBE Member

Re: Waste

Oh Adrian, you are so Learn-ed

"Its pronounced "L-earned" Pepe, "L-earned" :)

23. Bass-Invader

Bass-Invader TRIBE Member

You were all thinking it...
    [​IMG]

24. bucky

bucky TRIBE Member

maybe it's where the US shadow government is and they're hiding all the documents there about what really happened on 9/11 ;)