DJ vs Live Band

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by JayBrain, Jan 23, 2002.

1. JayBrain

JayBrain Well-Known Member

Ok.. I found out today that tonight at Fleming College they decided to have a live band (rock) play from 10:30 till midnight. I am the usual DJ there and every wednesday night is packed.. like it's really really busy. What is your oppinion on this? Do you think that this night will get complaints? Will it hut next week's pub night? Will anyone stick around once they hear the music squelching from these guys? The Student Council didn't even ask me if I was willing to let them play. I don't know.. I'm a little annoyed at the fact that they are messing with a perfectly amaizing night that everyone is happy as hell at.

Let me know what you think.

Jay Brain

2. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

ask to help out with the audio hookup,
    when they get on stage, mute their sound and when they play throw on a Warrant CD,

that place will clear quickfast.
    and you'll have your old job back.

-OTIS

3. seeker

seeker TRIBE Member

"she's my cherry pie..."

AAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

yeah, that should work like a charm. :p

4. JayBrain

oh my god.. I have an Idea.. lol.

Drop the hardest hip hop track at that same moment as they begin to play.. lol..
    and a one... two.. three.. foah..

Ah woogah wooga unhh!

that would be the funniest.. see them wailing out and hearing something totally the oposite

5. CC

CC TRIBE Member

it depends on the band. good music is good music. you might lose some of the stupid people who feel they are "too cool" for bands, but who cares. djs will never be as good to see as a good live band. but on the other hand, a bad live band will send people running for the door.

CC

6. djcheezwhiz

djcheezwhiz TRIBE Member

make sure you do a warm up set before the band comes on...keep it really groovy, nothing too popular (not sure what you play)...trust me if the band plays til midnight, you can work the difference in sounds really well...

jc

7. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

It's Peterborough. Live rock will *always* beat DJ's.

On a side note I may be there tonight.

8. CC

CC TRIBE Member

well if it's in peterborough, then it's always a good idea to, as basic might say, "rock it out"

CC

9. outofcontrol

outofcontrol TRIBE Member

The New Deal came to my school last week... 3 dollars for students....and I'm sorry to say... they were SOOOOOOOO much more entertaining then a dj....our hall was packed.... like I've never seen it packed before...but my god the band kicked ass....

I wish I could watch them play every week

cheers

10. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

word @ CC

Bumbaclat

11. JayBrain

The band that played was "cadence" really really heavy and hard. They ended their set off with Rage against the machine. Luckily it only lasted 45 minutes. It took me an hour to get the croud on the floor afterwards.. ouch it was hard shit... My ears are bleading

12. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

Please don't tell me you were the DJ after the band...

75 cent beers though - I literally still cannot believe that one.

13. CC

CC TRIBE Member

what??????????

CC

14. JayBrain

Yeah.. I was pissed off after the band played last night so I just fucked around.. I didn't really care about what music I played last night.. The night sucked already

15. CC

CC TRIBE Member

that's not a very good attitude. as the dj, you have the power to shape the night.

CC

16. JayBrain

The Band shaped if for me. And everyone wanted to hear R&B and retro.. they weren't into and dancy stuff.. oh well.. After a couple Rum and Cokes From Avro (who was bartending) I got in a bit better mood.... in all I guess everyone was happy and left the place at the end of the night super drunk ( .75 beer )

17. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

Man, not to be harsh but you played DMX like 5 times. and Darude. No excuses on that one.

I agree with Shawn, you shoulda used your opportunity to show the crowd what was up.

And yes, the beer was really 75 cents. I still don't beleive it. And the cover was only 2 bucks (and that's only because of the band, usually there's no cover).

18. CC

CC TRIBE Member

someone told me this important piece of info once:

a good dj can make you dance to anything

CC

19. JayBrain

I never played Darude last night.. lol.. and DMX... I do play requests too. heheh

Anyway.. I hope you had fun last night Basic.

If you come on a night without the bands.. it's a real h00t!