1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Cool Edit problem - someone please help

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by djmikeconradi, Mar 24, 2002.

1. djmikeconradi

djmikeconradi TRIBE Member

I recorded a new mix at a friends house using cool edit pro. I accidentally chose to record the file in IMA ADPCM (wav) format
    Since my friend had no encoding programs I put the file on a cd in hopes of converting it when i got home.

problem starts now

I cant find any media players or encoders that support this media format.
    I tried opening the file in cool edit hoping to re-save the file in another format. BUT it wont even load into cool edit.
    For some reason it will play from the window (preview waveform i guess) that opens when you select 'open a file' . This is useless since i cant do anything with it.

does anyone have any ideas on how i can recover this file and make it usable -ie: somehow converting it to mp3

desparate

mike

2. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

In cool edit, try Importing the file instead of opening it.. if it has that option..

Or "Open As" and select your fnction.

3. djmikeconradi

as soon as i try to open it it comes up a totally blank waveform

4. Deus

Deus TRIBE Member

Adding the IMA ADPCM Codec to Windows 95.

1. In Control Panel, double-click "Add New Hardware."

2. Click Next, click No, and then click Next.

3. In the Hardware Types box, click "Sound, Video, And Game Controllers."

4. Click on "Microsoft" in the Manufacturers box and a "IMA ADPCM Audio Codec" in the Models box, and then click
    Next.

5. Click the Finish button.

Source: http://home7.swipnet.se/~w-72369/codecs.htm

5. djmikeconradi

@#$%@#%

the IMA ADPCM is apparently already install on the updated version of windows media player.

uGH!

still wont work

6. Syntax Error

Syntax Error Well-Known TRIBEr

buy a mac!

7. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

Mac's are grotesquely shitty for wav editing.

8. Sporty Dan

Sporty Dan TRIBE Member

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q141801

9. Sporty Dan

Sporty Dan TRIBE Member

...also SoX can convert between a lot of different audio formats. If you are still having problems, download it. It uses it;s own codecs to convert files, so it doesn;t matter if the codec version you have installed in Windows is messed.

..... it is a command line program though, not a widows program....so it is a little......not user friendly.

dan.

10. djmikeconradi

thanks

thanks for the tips, I got it to work. The river of knowledge on the tribe board runs deep.

mike