Christian Rock and Pop.

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by coleridge, Mar 7, 2002.

1. sugar

sugar TRIBE Member

I really really want that "100 Bible Songs for Children" compilation that's advertised on TV.

Here's one of the lovely songs we sang at Mennonite camp:

Jesus help us live in peace,
    From our blindness set us free,
    Fill us with your healing light,
    Help us live in unity.

Here's the song that Billy the "special needs" guy taught us at Mennonite camp:

Under the old apple tree,
    Was the first time she showed it to me,
    It was hairy and black and she called it a crack,
    Under the old apple tree.

So I took out my telephone pole,
    And shoved it way down her deep hole,
    I filled it with cream until she did scream,
    Under the old apple tree.

2. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

bubble-Gum pop does not exist solely to create money. It exists to create an entire mindset based upon empty consumerism to fill a void. Which to me is much worse than trying to instill morals.

3. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

Much of what is today considered "Classical" music was chistian pop or hymn's at one time or another. Hell many of the greatest composers and symphony orchestras of the past were on the pay roll of one religous group or another.

I still don't see why it should be looked at any differently then Gangsta rap or movies like Fight Club.

4. Booty Bits

Booty Bits TRIBE Member

coleridge, good one bruvah!

i saw the same documentary.
    it was on Witness, and it was called The Disciples.

i totally wanted to start a thread about it too...

the whole documentary was EERIE. i must have been naive to never make the links between christian pop/rock and the youth conversion scene.

i found it really creepy that the evangelists talked about the percentage of kids that would be saved each night "if the percentages play out".

and don't even get me started on Rock For Life... a massive music festival that rallies teens into taking direct action to stop abortions.
    :eek: is right!

5. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

Re: coleridge, good one bruvah!

i went to a 'gathering' in mississippi where the sole purpose was to recruit new blood for their christian church. the other guy i went with was hardcore serbian orthodox. needless to say, we left about half way through and he was *not* impressed at all. i really didn't care either way, but there was no way that I was going to join them.

i feel for the most part that most christian churches prey on the weak minded people who need something/someone to guide them through life. some people take it for other reasons - the social gathering, general enlightenment, blah blah and that's good. but to have the church dictate how you run your life is crazy talk.

--craig

6. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

"all the best bands are associated with satan" - bart simpson

7. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

Re: Re: coleridge, good one bruvah!

What a load of crap.

Are most schools for stupid people who need people to tell them about things?

Everybody needs and uses something to guide them through life. No one was born knowing what's going on in the world - we all depend on certain avenues, such as parents, to shape our views. Who cares if religion is one of these avenues? Why does the fact that it's religion make them weak? Once again there's that blind, hypocritical view that christianity brainwashes.

What about the media/advertisements? They are constantly trying to sell us a way of life. You can't go three feet without being pitched something. Yet I'm sure all of you people afraid of "brainwashing" buy TV's, magazines etc...I wouldn't get all pissy when I'm talking to someone who's wearing a Nike hoodie. I hate Nike, and yet they're flashing it in my face. trying to brainwash me to live a certain lifestyle....

8. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

moral behaviour that comes from a fear of god's punishment is inherently incorrect and suspect. how do you know what god thinks you should do? [sarcasm]because it's in the bible/torah/koran/bok of nod/whatever? which can't be questioned because somebody who said that god talked to them told people that it was the right answer.[/sarcasm]

correct moral behaviour must come from an individual understanding of the implications of ones actions. stealing is not wrong because 'god said so' it's wrong because it hurts the victim and weakens social bonds which lessens survival chances for the race. the result might appear the same, not stealing, but not seeing a reason beyond 'the word of god' is a moral failure.

obviously i'm not saying that god, or faith is bad. nor are moral lessons taught by are religion necessarily wrong. what i am saying is that a thinking adult must not be limited to the 'because mommy said so' rationale for moral behaviour. most religions recognize the same cardinal sins: murder, rape, theft, etc. and whether and individual is aware of them or not there is sound reasoning why those things are 'wrong'. the danger lies in the technicalities. i.e. my god demands that i be a vegetarian - and then taking that to the point where i have to make everybody else a vegetarian. moralities for which no absolute reasoning can justify the beliefs are the scarey, and destructive parts of religion that i have sworn to oppose at all oppourtunities.

9. Brandon

Brandon TRIBE Member

No need to tie glowsticks together:

[​IMG]

10. KiX

KiX TRIBE Member

I find it insane how so many of you have been virtually "brainwashed" into being SOOOO anti religion. Like, really? How much different is a Christian coming on here preaching his beliefs in the hopes to win a few hearts ANY different than you coming on here and radically stating your anti-religious beliefs as though there isn't any other way, in the hopes of winning a few hearts yourself?

And as much as you say that's not the idea, I'd argue that people who are anti-religion are FAR more tenacious in their arguments than the vast majority of christians. You're just as set in your beliefs as they are. And you're just as forward and opinionated about them as they are.

What's so bad about Christian Pop? I used to loooove it! I still have all kinds of christian punk/ska/alternative cds.

When you're growing up as a christian teenager, it gives you something to identify with. Why do we connect with songs? Because we understand the feelings and meanings behind them. Lyrics grab us because we can identify.

As a Christian, there's little out there that expresses one's feelings for how you feel about God. Christian Pop helps you connect with music that you can relate to that isn't some shitty organ piece.

So what if they're "trying to win hearts"?? Some people need it. A lot of you have this cult-like notion of church being some creepy brainwashing station that steals the souls of people everywhere.

Sure, there are a lot of hypoctirical and shit churches out there. But the VAST majority are giant families of people showing their love for eachother and their communities. Nothing is shoved down your throat, nothing is forced on you.... they just offer another option to your set of beliefs.

My church experience was wonderful. Some of the most amazing people I know are from those days. I was never "brainwashed", and came to find God on my own. It was just a nice support for me in my own personal journey. And Christian music was like that for me too. I could listen to the styles of music i identified most with and I could also listen to the lyrics i identified most with.

Sure its not for me now, but still. I've seen the awesome benefits that the church and organized religion can have, not only for its followers, but its community too.

It's sad that people only focus on the very very very slim percentages that are truely corrupted.

HAHA!! Canada oh Canada it's great!

Duncan next time we get together we're gunna have a Christian Ska marathon/singalong. Time to dust off those old Supertones cds and break out your WWJD bracelets. :D

=tina=

11. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

Re: Re: Re: coleridge, good one bruvah!

i knew i'd get some flak for my comment. i kept it short and simple, maybe i should've expanded a little on my thought.

church and all it's goodies is fine for those that accept that portion in their lives. i just don't see how people can let that completely influence everything that they do - there are a lot of people who live this way. if it's not church, then it's media. if it's not media, then it's peers. a person should be able to take in all outside factors and decide for themselves what is the best way to proceed in life. to do otherwise, to me, sounds like a weak minded individual.

for the most part, churches instill a sense of balance and belonging in a community environment. that's all fine and dandy. i don't go to church personally because i don't like people telling me what to believe in and how to live my life. i live in a free society and i will choose how to do things the way i want to.

--craig

12. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

that may have been your exeperience, it was distinctly not mine. i can only assume you were associated with a fairly moderate sect of the church. as a former catholic, who attended catholic schools and catholic youth groups for 15 years, my religious experience was more along the lines of: YOU WILL BELIEVE THIS OR YOU WILL BURN IN HELL FOR ETERNITY!!!! IF YOU DOUBT IT IS BECAUSE YOU FAIL TO POSSESS THE FAITH OF A GOOD PERSON!!!!

but, i'm not against religion for the merit of faith or spiritual need, although i consider myself stronger for fulfilling those needs without the intervention of other mortals. as i have clearly stated, i am against religion as the final answer to correct moral behaviour.

13. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

I guess I'm putting my foot in my mouth... cause it seems like I'm preaching, and that's what I disagree with. I'm sorry for that.

I am just puzzled by religion, it does not make sence to me... I dont believe in the Religion Part of it, telling people to believe in something that they cannot prove. I do believe in the ideology, morality, honor that it instills in people.

And that's what I am trying to show, or teach people... I cant believe in something that does not exist... I do believe that Ideology is the key to a better society.

But really... I'm probably wrong.. since there are so many that believe in Christianity, Budhism, Judaism.. how can I argue with like a billion people. But then again... I am not a sheep, I think for myself... and I need proof to believe in something, and it has to make complete sence for me to agree with it.

Oh, and Karma to me is an Ideology, nothing spiritual.

-Nickers -

14. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

Prove love exists.

15. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

Love is a chemical reaction.

Thanks for comming out!

-Nickers

16. KiX

KiX TRIBE Member

I grew up Anglican. I always get so mad when i hear about experiences like that cuz mine was so positive, as were most people that i know who grew up in the church. But I really have no exposure to the catholic church, i'm solely talking from experience in the Protestant church.

=tina=

17. MBoy

MBoy TRIBE Member

Church can't be all that bad if it's the venue for the classic CHRISTIAN RAVE!!!

I hear the next Hulla party is gonna be at Queensway Cathedral!

-Duncan

18. choosey

choosey TRIBE Member

Everything that basic said is right on.
    I also had a very positive church life while growing up. I was shown love, and support. True Christianity isnt about brainwashing people its about practicing the teachings of God, which in the grand scheme of things benefit humanity. For sure the church has messed up, but there is much good in the church. Individualism has lead to people deny the church, they believe if it doesnt directly benefit the individual or make life easier for him/her, that it is stupid. More often the right choice is a more difficult choice. For all those who believe religion to be brainwashing and that those people are sheep, i have to say, its alot easier to belive in nothing except yourself, rather then in a diety which obviously can not be explained. If we could fully understand God what would make him more then us?

19. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

i agree with that completely.

no, it's a lot harder to face reality without a spiritual safety net to fall back on and comfort us with hollow reassurance of satisfaction or forgiveness in the next life.

however, i don't think anybody here has said that they don't believe in god (or a god, or several), i certainly do. they ahve said that they are against organized religion. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

that is not really a sentance. what are you trying to say?

20. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

Re: Re: Re: Re: coleridge, good one bruvah!

I agree with alot of what you said.

But everyone has one major outside factor that influences them, and a number of lesser influences. For some peope that major influence is cultural norms. For some people the influence is their social group. For some people it's religion. I still don't know why you think that just because someone uses religion as their main outside factor it makes them weak-minded.

21. MBoy

MBoy TRIBE Member

Ahhh all you fusspot protestants are gonna burn anyway.

"Jesus is still alright with me"

-Duncan (one of the white guys from DC talk)

22. deep

deep TRIBE Member

the argument is basically that if knowledge is power, having a complete knowledge of God would in turn give us an understanding equal to God, and therefore there wouldn't be a distinction between God and human beings.

23. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

on rereading, i think i get what you are asking. did you know that according to the catholic chruch it is sinful to refer to god as him (as opposed to Him)?

i don't think of god in terms of having a gender, nor do i assume god is more than us in the terms of a powerful existance. god doesn't need to be more than us. my god, the way i believe it, is so beyond the concept of more or less than us that it is irrelevant. for me, god is us. it's the nature and flow of the universe and it's occupants.

24. Pyrovitae

Pyrovitae TRIBE Member

ha, i used to listen to dc talk. same with petra and lots of other christian bands when i was prepubescent and god-fearing.

and i turned out alright.;) as far as the rest of it goes, i don't wanna get into another religion debate. basic said it best with his first post. peas on earth, goodwill toward men and alla that jazz.

*muah*
    ~N

25. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

Werd!

I do the things I do in life, not to be saved in the next life... that would be silly... cause I dont know if there is a next life. I do them so that I can be remembered, appreciated, loved and have a whole shitload of people at my funeral "PARTY" that will remember me for the rest of their lives as they celebrate my existance.

-Nick