Chiclet Likes Sushi

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by OTIS, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Libradragon

Libradragon TRIBE Promoter

Re: *hands Will his membership to the 1 character spelling mistake club*

actually, it's teriyaki.

2. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

chiclet = chinese
    sushi = japanese

big difference, especially considering centuries of animosity between the respective countries.

this is like dedicating a thread to an irish girl and then making jokes about haggis.

3. deep

deep TRIBE Member

but all asian people are the same, just like bobsledding isn't a good sport ;)

4. Libradragon

Libradragon TRIBE Promoter

actually Will, i don't think Otis was insinuating that at all.

he mentioned *asian* stereotype, not *chinese/japanese* stereotype, but i could be wrong.

5. Klubmasta Will

didn't mean to be a kill-joy.

it's just a very old pet peeve - for chinese and japanese people.

i'm sure indians and pakistani people have similar issues.

6. Cheeka

Cheeka TRIBE Member

:p

7. Pyrovitae

Pyrovitae TRIBE Member

i love sushi. *love* it. right now i'm waiting for my rice to cool...it's so much cheaper (and fun!) to roll your own. the price of a nice salmon filet from kensington market cost all of $3.50, and it's probably enough for 18 rolls.

MmMM. i even used to work as a waitress at a sushi restaurant. funny enough, they were all chinese and taught me bits of cantonese while i was there.

cheeka, try a california roll. yes they *do* have nori in them, but it's minimal. it's not too raw fish-y, either, and they're a great introduction to sushi.

*muah*
    ~N

8. seeker

seeker TRIBE Member

LOL :D

9. PosTMOd

PosTMOd Well-Known Member

Klubmasta, shut your Korean ass.

How can anyone actually have "issues" about where they are from, or not from?

Who gives a fuck?

10. dawndalon

dawndalon TRIBE Promoter

OK, I have a question for u sushi lovers. I cannot for the life of me learn how to use chopstix. So, I use my fingers for sushi and always a fork for the rice. Do u think this is offensive? I am always embarrassed when eating out. Anyone else in the same boat?

11. Stormshadow

Stormshadow TRIBE Member

YES!!
    I did this once, and the waitress swiftly grabbed my arm and told me I had offended her and the spirits of her ancestors!
    She said the only way for me to avoid eternal damnation was for her to cut off 2 digits of my index finger...which would then be consumed by her family in a ceremonial Finger Roll!! :eek:

12. PosTMOd

PosTMOd Well-Known Member

By the way, Will, I know you're not Korean.... I was just trying to rile you up, knowing that Vietnamese people like you hate it.

13. beaker

beaker TRIBE Member

hahahahahahahahah!

14. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

I understand Will, that's why, as Libra pointed out, I tagged it as an Asian stereotype. But I expected someone to bring up the foundation of it at some point durig this thread.. the winnar is yuo.

15. Chiclet

Chiclet TRIBE Promoter

It's true, I like sushi.

And I can't live a day without rice.

I have no tolerance for alcohol...

dammit! I'm a walking stereotype.

:(

(I dun geddit)

16. Chiclet

Chiclet TRIBE Promoter

This reminds me of that stupid commercial with ninjas and the song "Kung-Fu fighting" in the background. "Everybody knows that Ninjas love kung fu fighting."

Great, I'm a walking stereotype with an identity crisis...

17. aether

aether TRIBE Member

Where specifically do you get your fish in Kensington Market? I've wanted to get some real sushi-grade fish and give it a try.. but i'd feel a whole lot better if someone could recommend a place they trust. I've heard it can be procured in St. Lawrence Market, but Kensington is soo much closer/i'm there all the time anyways.

18. aether

aether TRIBE Member

^^ just wanted to bump this, i really want to know. where can i buy fresh fish i can eat raw and not die?

19. Sukebe Jiji

Sukebe Jiji TRIBE Promoter

Due to my handle I feel compelled to post in this thread...so (with the exception of Lurch who I already told) first person who tells me what my name means wins a drink..

and here is some useless/interesting sushi trivia

originally sushi was a regional specialty dish but with the advent of the Portugese traders news of this regional cuisine spread throughout Japan - as did its popularity.

Wasabi is a root that you grate - like parmesan cheese! I am sure some of you probably know this point, but I still think its cool.

Almost all of the fish used for sushi in Japan is taken to this MASSIVE complex in Tokyo where it is auctioned off and then dispersed throughout Japan. The Japanese used in this auction is almost completely incomprehensible, except to the participants.

peter

20. Klubmasta Will

senile pervert? (like old japanese businessmen buying underwear from school girls in vending machines)

21. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

if you have problems chosing a fresh fish from a not-so-fresh one then you probably shoudlnt be making sushi yourself
    :s

p[l]a+0

22. Sukebe Jiji

Sukebe Jiji TRIBE Promoter

Will:

Congrats! close enough! You Win! And in record time too...I guess it is easier to figure out than I thought

for the record you don't need to add the "senile" part though ;) just like 'dirty old man' :)

peter
    - next time I come back to Toronto I will get you a drink

23. Kid Epic

Kid Epic Well-Known Member

Chiclet used my bathroom the other day.

24. aether

aether TRIBE Member

thanks plato. assuming the buyer is knowledgable in picking fish, assuming the buyer knows he's ultimately responsible for the purchase and use of a product, assuming that the buyer just wants some good seafood that they can take home and cook up, where can they go for a pleasant seafood-shopping experience? i'm looking for recommendations of a good fish monger in the market. is one as good as another there? does one have friendlier, more courteous, more knowledgeable staff and a wider range of exotic sea-life?

ahh, well.. i'd probably have to attach some legal disclaimer, disowning the recommender of any legal responsiblity. i was just looking for some opinions.

25. Pyrovitae

Pyrovitae TRIBE Member

go to kensington, and ask when the latest shipment of fish comes in. i've heard it's on a wednesday, so if you go then the fish is probably the freshest.

always choose a saltwalter fish, like salmon, and look for a pleasant pink colour. the fish shouldn't have an overtly "fishy" odour, and the scales should be shiny and irridescent. it should be slightly springy to the touch and not slimy, either.

you could also go to spadina...big land farms and a few grocery stores there sell live fish, which obviously is *very* fresh.:p

it is not considered rude to eat rolls or sashimi with your hands...although a *fork* would be a bit odd (awkward, too.) it also isn't considered rude to slurp or make sucking noises when eating rice or miso.

*muah*
    ~N

(sushi as we know it was started in the 1800's by yohei handya out of a yattai stall. he would exhibit the fresh fish of the day, and his customers would choose what they wanted. the yattai stall was a wagon with a curtain. the *best* sushi places were the yattai stalls with a dirty curtain, meaning they were heavily frequented...customers would use their green tea cups, <which doubled as finger bowls,> after their meal and wipe their hands on the curtain.)