1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Cass and Fortier

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by loopdokter, Feb 23, 2002.

1. loopdokter

loopdokter TRIBE Promoter

I'm telling you, I'm going to go broke with all of the talent coming through T.O. in the forthcoming months. Despite being guestlisted, I managed to break my bank account tonight and it wasn't pretty.

But on with the music... I arrived inside around midnight to catch a bit of Mark Scaife throwing down some nice beats. Lately I've been really impressed with Mark and tonight was certainly following that vein. Despite what you said Mark, I still think you played well.

Cass stepped up at 1 AM and based upon his last set at Breathe, my expectations were high. Again, he didn't disappoint. Although I spent more time socializing in my drunken stupour than I did actually dancing, what I did hear in between me running off my innebriated mouth and people watch in awe was worth my attendence.

He played until 4 AM and then Chris Fortier took control of the decks. Very nice sounds indeed. He played a nice kind of mellow dark and melodic prog sound that suited the time of the morning well. Sadly, the crowd thinned out a lot after Cass got off the decks. I left around 5:30 AM after listening to Chris play a nice selection of tunes. This is the latest I've stayed at Breathe in ages. That's an obvious sign I had fun.

I must say, Breathe is certainly my home away from home! I actually drove down alone from Waterloo (gf had the flu) with no intentions of really meeting anyone that I knew, and I was made to feel more than welcome by Mark Scaife, Mike Greco and Matt Coleridge. Thanks to all of you for pumping me full of mucho gratis alcomahol.

Shouts go out to Vinder, James Highsteppa and Echo (who I met in the guestlist lineup after I overheard she wasn't sure she could get in free - so I rescued her with an unused space I had on my list). I also re-met Melanie (Tribe name unknown), but I gather she was having a bit of fun because she introduced herself as such 4 times in a span of 10 minutes! Haha.

Needless to say, it was a good time. Bring on Sander in a few weeks!

Cheers,
    Jay

2. trance001

trance001 TRIBE Member

MOOORRREEEE REVIEWS

I know it is early but I need more posts on this event.. In a weak performance I ducked out of going without confidence to drive up from buffalo alone..

3. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

i'm fucking pissed. nobody wanted to come down with me, and i wasn't about to drive down by myself from maple. :mad:

i gotta move downtown. it just ain't happening up in the 'burbs.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

That happens to me all the time, although I missed this because of work. I don't think I'm ever going to get to see fortier.

5. Che

Che TRIBE Member

That's no excuse. It never stops me from coming. You missed a good one Nesta

All I have to say about the whole night is MY LEXICON (Cass & Slide Mix). That was more than enough for me.

6. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Though I had a good time, musically, I don't know why I always put myself through this torture. :D

I REEEEEEEEEAAAAAALLLLYYY liked what Cass started with. The first track was awesome and I would like to find it to play at home. But I can't dance to prog or whatever that was last night so my rhythm was kind of off, I guess.

I was happy that he threw in some breakbeats though again, there was something a little off about them. But breaks are breaks so I made myself enjoy them. Basic, don't even try it with that "you gotta get into the nu-skool" stuff. :p

Nice to see everyone out and about. Good to see Vinder smashed. And you know James is having fun when he takes his shirt off.

Keith and I equated the music with Brandy's new single. Because it was a little off. Everything seemed either too slow or too fast. But you could tell Cass was trying to work up the crowd and he was also trying to be diversify his set with some eccentricities. I respect that.

Fuck, I need some d&b. SOON. *sigh*

7. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

I got there around 11:30 - however within an hour I couldn't deal with the crappy tunes being spun by Mark Scaife. I had to escape the 45 minute song!
    It was nice to see the new look of System - it will take some getting used to, but overall I liked the look. I was however a fan of the back bar/room, so it will be missed!
    It was great seeing the usual Breathe kids for the brief time that I was there. Overall I had fun, but I wish I'd brought my earplugs.

8. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

steve, you're young, hungry, and fairly new to the game. :)
    the desire burns in your eyes. :D
    i sent you a message on msn. why didn't you respond.
    i asked if you were going down or not.

9. Cass blew the fucking lid off of System last night.

I had very high expectations from one of my fave dj's from the summer, not sure what kind of a sound he was going to bring to us. Hoping for some twisted sounding breaks, with a heavy dose of progressive and a touch of trance and good Goddam he brought one of the funkiest sets to grace the decks there in a while. Playing wicked track ("This is only a test....."), after wicked track, throwing in funky breaks and driving us all mad, not relenting for a second. Never have I had such high expectations so far exceeded by a Dj before. I wish I could've stayed to hear fortier, but I was so freaking tired.

Nice to see the massive in effect last night; loopdokter, silverback, C-nice, mofo, galatic phantom, mingster, Jeremy Jive, vinder, coleridge, Che and the rest of the crew. Was that not a night to be remebered

From the Ministry of THIS IS ONLY A TEST, THE DJ IS CONDUCTING A TEST FOR AN ILLEGAL FREQUENCY THAT HAS INFILTRATED THE SOUNDSYSTEM.

Prime Minister Highsteppa

10. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

So. Much. Fun!

Music: Scaife was nice, as per usual, I think he's gonna get sick of me telling him "I really enjoy your stuff and how it's matured in the past few years". I'm such a nerd. His pitch was a little "OW" but that's ok. I was pumped, so I guess he did his job. And did it well. Cass was good. Although I have to say, my energy last night was so that, I could have be-bopped to my momma french-canadian tunes....well, maybe not. But I was dancing, and that's always a good sign. I left pre-Fortier, enough said.

The scene: I think the new place is much more spacious, at the back anyways. The club wasn't crowded last night, which was fine for me. I'm looking forward to seeing it when it's done, as I'm sure I will. And last night, I decided I would give it a chance before complaining. How about that! ;)

The crowd: You guys are a blast, I always have a great time hanging out with y'all. Nice to meet some new faces, and some I haven't seen in a while. I was gonna do shout-outs, but.....I don't wanna. :p

Ming.

11. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

I really liked what I heard last night, great stuff all night. Cass delivered a solid performance, really original sounding material. A sound I've never really heard before.

Fortier played an entire set of acetates. I've never seen so many, literally 90% of all the records he brought were acetates. Great new tracks, although the last hour was very deep and somewhat lacking. But from about 4:30 to 6:00 he was in a solid groove.

Just a heads up to everyone, Cass is in town for an extra day and will be playing TONIGHT (Saturday) at Element with Mark Scaife. I can't wait to hear those records in the tight confines of Element.

12. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

Are you for real? Fucking safe! I'm there.
    Thank you Matt, you the man!

Woo hoo! Woo hoo!

Nesta does the happy dance! :)

13. Lexicon

Lexicon TRIBE Member

!@#$ ME! I'm so there! Missed it last night..grrrrrrrr

14. djcheezwhiz

djcheezwhiz TRIBE Member

sounds like a great night, & i'm glad everyone had a good time...i always seem to miss some of the better evenings, but element sounds like a plan for this evening...

jc

15. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Aren't you gonna make a shout out to the lesbos that you befriended? :D

It was a lesbian orgy at System last night, literally! The group of 5 blond heads snuggling and kissing together on the new platform was very entertaining.

16. DJAlchemy

DJAlchemy TRIBE Promoter

got there nice and early this time, around 11:30... only to find that someone had already gone through guestlist with my name! wtf? Obviously it was someone who knew me... I didn't have enough cash to cover my ass & my friends so yeah.

Peace & love. D

17. orange richie

orange richie TRIBE Member

^^^ That fuckin' sucks! I would be pissed :mad:

Looks like I missed a good night. I might swing down to Element tonight though...

Rickardo Belmiro de la Cruz...

18. Psyrel

Psyrel TRIBE Member

Amazing night! What was that sound...... funky tech house? .... melodic heavy bass something? Whatever it was, it was different and it blew the roof off!

The re-vamped sound in thre main room was fierce, especially closer to the front... and the new bar at the back is cool - you can see the entire club streched in front of you, and the floor vibrates quite nicely too!

Great seeing everyone again, esp. some of the GU crew that have been AWOL :D

My sis, Ilia just got home.... so we'll see you all at Element tonight!

-Tara.

19. Lexicon

Lexicon TRIBE Member

Just because of some feckers decided to bash up my friends pretty badly (they're fine now), I won't be able to make it to Elements for Cass. :(

!@#$

20. loopdokter

loopdokter TRIBE Promoter

I failed to mention this before, but did anyone other than Coleridge see the guy who had his head used as a door opener/battle ram by the bouncers?

It was nasty!

Matt, Mark and I and a few others were all chit chatting behind the DJ booth and then the bouncers came rushing out with some guy being held high up into the air. They proceeded to OPEN the steel exit door (I kid you not!) with the guys head! I don't know what he did, but he certainly must have pissed them off proper!

Talk about finding new ways to open a solid steel door!

My bad joke of the night became, "Hey, can I borrow the use of your head for a second? I need to open that steel door over there."

OUCH!

Cheers,
    Jay K.

PS - I'm kind of upset I didn't read this thread earlier as I would have driven down to see Cass again tonight. Cass at Element?! That must be the muts nuts right now (it's 1:30 AM)!

21. Silverback

Silverback TRIBE Member

Had a great time, finally able to get at a 'puter to checkout the board. Absolutely loved what Cass was playing, I was commenting to C-Nice all night long "where does he get this shit" because it was right up my ally. Met some Triber's this time out (first time I've actually met anyone from here), Highsteppa, Galactic Phantom, Vinder, Mingster, and Mr. Jive, was nice to meet you guys.

Looking forward to more good times like this, not too much, but just right.

22. vinder

vinder TRIBE Member

it started off slow, and i felt like this night was going to suck. so i went to the bar to rescue it. three drinks in 3 minutes later, the music just got better. harder. bigger basslines. thunderous, one might say. then the breaks came, at first of the progressive variety, then of the funky variety. the look on highsteppa, jayisbored, and my face said it all. our faces were twisted, and there was no going back. the expression relayed was that of "oh my god this shit is so good it hurts". then it went back to the prog. HEAVY. then we had to leave.

best night of the moment goes out to the mingin' one (hehe) for the breast grab on the lesbian and subsequent rejection of the makeout session. PURE JOKES.

23. JayIsBored

JayIsBored TRIBE Member

thanks the lucky stars the man i wanted to see was on first, i was tired from playing trading spaces in the afternoon :D. thanks to mike and matt for the drinks...thanks to cheeka for the g/l hookup...thanks to cass for the unique, funky, ass shakin set that i was so expecting! full of weird noises, twisted vocals, proggy and funky breaks...whatever he was throwin down it made my ass move. a few tunes i remember- electroliners loose caboose, some seriously demented all the freaks reworking, my lexicon remix...but sigh to not hearing perception...oh well can't win em all :D

those speakers at the front have to go. that's all the freakin etards need, a platform to display their stupidity. the bar at the back is real sweet, it's almost like you're in a different club. the sound...hrmmm, glad i had my earplugs. vinder looked like his head was going to explode from the piercing frequencies coming through the speakers :p ming you are a c•nt tease, sunny and keith are partypoopers and kalemic and nesta are bastards for not coming.

24. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

I am not a party pooper. I didn't like the music but it made me dance anyway because I did pay to get in, God forbid.

I'm hard to please. Especially when it comes to System. When I have a good time (which I did), it's almost never about the music except when I'm at Body Roc or the breaks nights.

The breaks were weird. Couldn't get really into it. <-- see, there I go again complaining...

I just don't get progressive...

25. vinder

vinder TRIBE Member

my ears are still ringing!