Can you use the Google Nexus 7 as an ebook reader?

Discussion in 'Geek - Computers - Gaming - Gadgets' started by alexd, Jul 17, 2012.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

I am wondering if you can use the Nexus 7 as an ebook reader? This would save me from buying a Kindle....

2. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

yes, there are numerous E-Reader apps for any android device, and they're mostly free.

The battery drain will be much higher, and the LCD of a superphone will be tougher on the eyes.

3. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

no, I cant.

GSP can though...

4. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

My dream tech would be a tablet w/ a traditional LCD, but an e-reader "layer"

I ended up going e-reader just for the screen tech, and I knew reading on a backlit LCD would be a pain...

5. Lurker

Lurker TRIBE Member

dumb question but are these out in Toronto yet?

I'm coming home for a mini-vacation next week and was thinking of picking one up

6. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

Should be out by next week but might be hard to find since most places are sold out from pre-orders.

7. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

The 8gig is in stock at Google, the 16g "ships soon". I ordered mine a week or so back, hope to see it shortly.

Jay

8. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

I am guessing the Kindle Fire would be a better choice? Not as great specs as the nexus 7, but it can run 4.1 (JellyBean).

Jay

9. deep

deep TRIBE Member

?

The Nexus 7 is the first Jellybean device. Amazon runs a highly customized version of Android geared towards their media platform.

You can use the Nexus 7 as an e-reader. Many reviewers found the higher ppi of the iPad's Retina display and likely with the Nexus 7 to make for a reading experience in some ways better than paper. I think an e-reader still has its merits as a dedicated reading device, but think the added flexibility you get with a tablet is compelling also (e.g. zoom and gestures, creating documents from what you're reading, wider multimedia format support, etc.)

10. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

Nexus 7 is the first "official" device, but Jelly bean has been ported to the Kindle Fire. Just saying.. :)

Jay

11. Lurker

Lurker TRIBE Member

Thanks! I tried ordering online but it didn't like that I was trying to do it from a European IP and wouldn't let me.

Which retailers might have it? Futureshop & Bestbuy I guess?

12. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

Staples is the only one I know of.

Jay

13. deep

deep TRIBE Member

Both Future Shop and Best Buy are carrying it, but supplies are likely to be short in store once they hit. NCIX and London Drugs are supposed to be carrying it too.

14. deep

deep TRIBE Member

Ah, okay. I think it also bears mentioning Amazon is supposed to be releasing an update to the Fire sometime in Q3 that is aimed to cut the gap between the Nexus 7.

15. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

I am going to hunt one down.. according to this, I will be getting mine last. F that!

Thanks for the info.

Jay

16. deep

deep TRIBE Member

No problem :) I'm hoping to look at one in person soon.

17. deep

deep TRIBE Member

Found this thread on XDA, evidently Canada Computers and Memory Express are also carrying it. There may be others, I haven't read through it all yet.

[q] N7 and Canada - Page 4 - xda-developers

There also seems to be an issue with the screen not being screwed down securely.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  18. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

All the London drugs here in Vancouver were completely out, did not know when they were coming back in and refused to put any on hold.

Found a Best Buy (across the road from my work) with 20 or so in stock, went and picked up two.

Google better be nice and cancel my order :)

Jay

19. Lurker

Lurker TRIBE Member

If they don't I'll buy it from you :)

20. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

21. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

My wife really likes her Kobo Vox and I have had no complaints using my Sony Tablet as an e-reader.

That is all

22. Sleepy Giant

Sleepy Giant TRIBE Member

I currently don't have a tablet and am strongly considering one of these. Is it as good as everyone says it is?

23. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

I find it a little glossy for reading, but for the price, the specs are awesome. It all depends on what your needs are. The missing external storage or HDMI might be a deal breaker for some.

Jay

24. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

When said external, I meant SD card slot as there is an OTG cable that will allow you to use external drives.

Jay

25. Sleepy Giant

Sleepy Giant TRIBE Member

It's better than I ever imagined. If you are looking for a tablet and aren't an apple fanboy, this is the one for you.