1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

calling all Legal Eagles

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by -Mercury-, Mar 25, 2002.

1. -Mercury-

-Mercury- TRIBE Member

Can anyone recommend a good lawyer?

One who is well schooled in Employment and Labour laws. I just got a phone call, from my union steward to say that I was fired. It was for attendance. (btw)

Well, I guess it actually happened on Friday, but the union was hopefull that my job could be salvaged at that point. I believe I have one hell of an arguement going for me.

Anyways, I live in the Chatham area, so I guess a TO based lawyer might not quite work. But the key is, I would like to speak to a good lawyer, not just one who is from around here.

Thanks in advance for any info.

tony

2. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

I think I've watched enough Law and Order by now that I feel comfortable calling myself a lawyer...... and I'll pass along the savings from my not paying for law school.

Bumbaclat

PS or you can wait for a real lawyer to post. up to you :)

PPS I'm watching Law and Order right now but it's about baby killing so unless you killed your baby I can't help you.

3. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

coming from your previous posts about how you thought it was so great having a unionized job, that you were able to be late or bag off days with no chance of losing your job - hopefully you'll learn a lesson or two about responsibility.

--craig

4. Cheeka

Cheeka TRIBE Member

I hear ya... I may be looking too!

5. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

haahahahaahahahhah!

6. -Mercury-

-Mercury- TRIBE Member

labrat,
    Obviously, you didn't read those posts very well.

My one previous post on this issue was about how I got 3 weeks pay, for my employer having (wrongfully) suspended me for a month. (same issue, attendance)
    It was a nice moral victory, but in the end all it did was put a big bulls-eye on my back. From that point on, after a few guys in management were left with egg on their faces, they have gone out of their way to make an example outta me.

And please, spare me the lecture on responsibility. I have been employed there for over 6 1/2 yrs. And the only problems I've ever had were due to attendance over the last 2 or so years. These problems reared their ugly head immediatly after I was placed on various differant SSRI's over the past couple of years.
    If I were to tell you what has happened to me over this time, you would perhaps re-think your stance on this issue. Lets just say that my (mental)health, right now, is more important to me than this job. And seeing as I have a serious history of mental illness in my extended family, (starting with my dad (paranoid schizophrenic) , I am not taking any chances (and not getting help)

Looking at the big picture, it's not really that big a deal. I wasn't planning on spending the rest of my life working there or anything. But I can't really afford not to have a paycheck for too long right now. And when you've been done wrong, you've been done wrong.

tony

7. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

From the wording of your other posts, it more sounded like:
    "Thank god for unions, I'm able to fuck around and have no worries"

I apologise if I read it wrong. The internet has a way of doing these things.

--craig

8. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

I interpreted it the same way. I went to search for the thread to re-read it and see if I was wrong but the search function is disabled.

Bumbaclat

9. -Mercury-

-Mercury- TRIBE Member

Well, if I'm correct, I believe that was a thread that got exactly 0 responses. Yep, zero. Not one. (that I saw anyways)

I could have clarified all this back then for you too.

**shrugs shoulders**

Maybe I should just insert some racially insensitive comments in the subject line to get people to actually resond.

10. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

now THAT was funny :D

Bumbaclat

11. -Mercury-

-Mercury- TRIBE Member

^^^

and sad, but true.

but back to the subject at hand, any recommendations on a lawyer??

12. janiecakes

janiecakes TRIBE Member

mercury, have you asked your union office if they can recommend a lawyer?

i'm in CUPE local 79 and my union has a bunch of lawyers that they regularly work with when grievances are filed.

are you looking for free legal advice or are you able to pay for it?

13. janiecakes

janiecakes TRIBE Member

this is from the u of t law library site:

http://www.lsuc.on.ca/public/referral_en.jsp

"The Law Society of Upper Canada provides a no-obligation lawyer referral service. If you phone (416) 947-3330 or 1-800-268-8326 weekdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. or 2 p.m. to 5 p.m., an operator will give you the names of one or more lawyers in Ontario near where you live who practice in the area of law relevant to your problem. You can then call the lawyer and arrange a thirty-minute free consultation after which time you can decide whether or not to hire that lawyer or consider other options."

Last edited: Mar 25, 2002
  14. janiecakes

janiecakes TRIBE Member

ok, the phone number that the law library gave out is only for incarcerated people, so use the number in the link. (1-900-565-4577)

15. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member

I wish IT was unionized.

16. -Mercury-

-Mercury- TRIBE Member

^^
    I guess you could say I'm looking for both. I'm mean I'm sure if I want some decent representation, I'll be having to pay for it.

I just got the call to tell me this afternoon. When I had last left with union, they had said that they were very confident that I would be back to work today (on the afternoon shift). So they called and told me the bad news on the phone before I went into work.

I've yet to go down to the union office. I'm not really in the mood today.
    I have 3 grievances still yet to be heard. That's not counting the one filed for being fired. :(

The thing is, even though we have a union, it's still differant rules for differant people at my job. And that's what really sucks. All I want is the same (sopposedly, fair) treatment from the company that everybody else gets.

tony

17. janiecakes

janiecakes TRIBE Member

the IT kids at my work are unionized balzzy.

18. janiecakes

janiecakes TRIBE Member

mercury, try giving them a call at the union office and see if they have a list of lawyers that will talk to you for free.

that way you won't have to go down there. and try out that referral service thingy.

good luck.

19. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member

:eek:

Oh wait a second...never mind me. I just remembered that when I was consulting with the Toronto School Board, the IT staff there were unionized too. Once 4pm rolled around, the place was deserted! First time I had seen an IT department that didn't work past official hours. :D

20. Fir3start3r

Fir3start3r TRIBE Member

Have you actually filed your grievance? :confused:

21. -Mercury-

-Mercury- TRIBE Member

Yes I have.

So, It's not over yet. (I guess)

But, I know I might not hear an answer for a long long time.

22. Uncle Bobby

Uncle Bobby TRIBE Promoter

Where's will when u need him?

UB.

23. -Mercury-

-Mercury- TRIBE Member

another query??

I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to this:

When we signed our CBA, the (then)current Employment Standards Act was passed in 1990. Since then a new ESA was passed (2001), and has come into law.

Does it matter that our contract is based on the old act, or does my employer have to abide by the new laws????

tony

24. Fir3start3r

Fir3start3r TRIBE Member

25. -Mercury-

-Mercury- TRIBE Member

Well, I had a 4 hr. meeting with my union reps. down at the union hall yesterday.

I have a bad feeling that this is really gonna drag on for a long time. :(