1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

breaks party busted @ metropolis/160

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by drave, Apr 21, 2001.

1. drave

drave TRIBE Promoter

I saw about 6 cop cars outside that location (160 Spadina) last night at 1:00 am and a couple of hundred partiers standing around in the street.
    Anyone know more details?

2. Phat Trick

Phat Trick TRIBE Promoter

Party got busted, due to lack of a liquor licence....I think

3. beaker

beaker TRIBE Member

yup he was operating without a liquor license.

that sucks, i heard the turnout was pretty good. [​IMG]

*support for smokee*

4. drave

drave TRIBE Promoter

Was there any parties scheduled for tonight there. I feel sorry for them.
    No liquor license, Queen and Spadina location, flyers all over the city about parties there.
    Not too incognito.

5. beaker

beaker TRIBE Member

word, but i don't feel sorry for the owners. apparently they were in the process of obtaining a license. you don't screw around with that kind of stuff.

scott (smokee) told me that the owner promised that the place was legit, but in the end it wasn't. it's too bad cuz it's a nice tight space and i wanted to throw a party in there too but now i'm not sure what will happen to it.

6. boyblu

boyblu TRIBE Member

Yeah, the party was starting to pick up about the time it got busted.
    Not good operators. Period.
    Bad for small society's name.
    Full suport to scotty.

7. yummi

yummi TRIBE Member

scott (smokee) told me that the owner promised that the place was legit, but in the end it wasn't. it's too bad cuz it's a nice tight
    space and i wanted to throw a party in there too but now i'm not sure what will happen to it.

Parties will be back next week, completely legal under special events permits.

The permanent licence IS in the works, it's just a matter of how long it takes for the beauracrats to do their jobs.

The owner of the club certainly made an error of judgement and is a fine living exaple of the term "Manyana". However, as at the end of the day he will probably be the only one facing charges, he certainly didn't bring this about on purpose.

Believe me as I got ticketed myself and was unaware of the licence situation i'm [​IMG]
    I'm sure that the innocent parties won't have any problems (That's me !)

I'm sure that the club will be contacting the promoters later this week when everyone has cooled down.

Too bad, cause the party was pickin' up, nice vibe.

Later.

8. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

getting a license now is going to be near impossible after the bust last night from the liquor commission.

9. yummi

yummi TRIBE Member

I think your jumping the gun a bit as no one has been convicted of anything yet ! The police gave the club advice as to how to avoide any future problems, and were generaly prety helpful.

The club will be open again next weekend under a special events licence. There IS a permanant licence application in the works.

Friday night was an unfortunate case of "Manyana" in action. The owner made a mistake pure and simple, it's doubtfull that anyone but him will face a conviction.

As one of the people charged I am certainly pissed [​IMG] but I am confident of my innocence of any wrongdoing, as any one else ticketed should be.

After talking to the police in the next couple of days, I am sure that the club will share any new information with all involved.

Saturday nights acid night was cancelled after the promoter was contacted and offered a "Dry" party. He was very understanding and shared experience with us on the state of "City vs Clubs" in T.O.

I feel for the promoters of Buzz Breaks 'specialy as the vibe was pretty tight, but think positive for the future.

Later.

10. yummi

yummi TRIBE Member

Oops, I posted twice [​IMG]
    Hey, i'm new to the board (shrug)

11. joey

joey TRIBE Member

i got there just as the cops shut it down...

whon whon

sorry bout your luck scott!

12. ecstasy riot

ecstasy riot TRIBE Member

I hate how people like to ruin shit for others.

13. D-Cypher

D-Cypher TRIBE Member

I think it's dangerous to let all those cracked-out ravers into traffic so early as they did!

14. gsnuff

gsnuff TRIBE Promoter

Who cares about that. From the perspective of the authorities it is unaccpetable for individuals to sell booze without cutting the government in on the profit. Anybody that sells without a license is taking a very lucrative risk.. if you are caught - you are screwed!

gsnuff

15. evolve

evolve TRIBE Member

Personally I saw it coming. You dont operate a club without a liquor license. And you sure dont serve all hours of the night. And also you sure dont do it a at the corner of Spadina and Queen. Its too bad that had to happen but it was going to happen sooner or later.

16. Suke

Suke TRIBE Member

Just a question ... what about all the various after hours booze cans that go on everyday of the week in T.O.? You know the coppers know about them. Does anyone know if they have licenses or do they just pay off coppers???

17. Phat Trick

Phat Trick TRIBE Promoter

Since when were we referred to as "RAVERS"!?!?!?!

18. DJ MONKEY

DJ MONKEY TRIBE Promoter

Sorry to say but at least 80% of people at 19+ events don't get cracked out.

19. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

from experience i can tell you that when you apply for a license, even a license for a one night only event, they check with the police to see if the space has been used for a boozecan or has been busted before for a liquor violation. If something comes up in that check it is unlikely the license would be approved.

20. yummi

yummi TRIBE Member

Who said anything about serving after hours ?

21. evolve

evolve TRIBE Member

Lets just say I have seen things and the word on the street can get around pretty quick!

22. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

I get pretty cracked on booze at your parties [​IMG]

I got to this party around 2 but alas, was too late. oh well.
    Bumbaclat

23. LoopeD

LoopeD TRIBE Member

I know the cops have an "understanding" with the matador. As far as the paint can or anywhere else I'd imagine that yes, there's "understandings" there too. Understanding makes the world go round - if Toronto went to sleep at 2 it would be known as a sleepy city and no one would visit [​IMG]

My buddy saw Harrison Ford and Minnie Driver at Matador recently (not together). Hooray - even famous people enjoy dingy roadhouses too!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]d

24. yummi

yummi TRIBE Member

The club was back in action last night, legaly.
    The police and liquor board came by with no problems [​IMG]

25. smokee

smokee TRIBE Member

i made the mistake of asking the owner if he had a licence, instead asking to see it
    i ended up getting the big scary pappers from the cops that i have to go to court for
    ouch
    the NEXT party will be dope