1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

BIRD in the exhaust for my OVEN! what do I DO?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by fear_of_fours, Jun 4, 2007.

1. fear_of_fours

fear_of_fours TRIBE Member

hello tribe

there is a bird or family of birds in the exhaust for my oven

what the fuck do i do?

i covered the inside with newspaper, im not sure if they shit in there if its going to land on my oven or not. at least this will get them up to date with current events?

tribe??? is this an easy thing to fix?
  2. Re: Shoe

Re: Shoe TRIBE Member

350 for 25 minutes ought to do it.

By exhaust do you mean like your vent hood? Or is this a Jenn-Air range?
  3. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Remove your vent hood then take the nest out so they don't keep coming back then block the outside with chickenwire.

You won't be able to every use your vent with it in there with since it'll be full of grass and twigs from a nest, not to mention birds are highly unsanitary.
  4. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

1. Reverse the polarity of fan wires
    2. Cook bird in oven
    3. Enjoy with a nice garden salad
  5. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

are they being hurt like or can they stay there for awhile. depending should try to call the humane society.. but im not sure if they deal with this type of thing.
  6. PosTMOd

PosTMOd Well-Known TRIBEr

7. fear_of_fours

you mean remove it from the outside? or inside? if i remove it from the inside, then there will be a bunch of fucking birds in my house - no?
  8. billy

billy TRIBE Member

we had this in our place when i was a kid. can you tell where the nest is? odds are it is in the vent going horizontal and not the part near the range hood. i believe pest control companies will remove the birds and nesting for you, then as already mentioned, put up chicken wire over the vent.
  9. alcid

alcid TRIBE Member

10. echootje

echootje TRIBE Member

Tell your landlord to get them the fuck out.

11. geminigirl

geminigirl TRIBE Member

12. Devin

Devin TRIBE Member

whatever, it's free food. She should be thanking her landlord :p
  13. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

My tennets had birds two weeks ago with chicks in the nest no less. After taking the hood off and pulling the vent tube out covering both ends then just dumped the nest in a garden.
  14. echootje

echootje TRIBE Member

Humane issues aside, it's not like she should be bothering with duct work in her apartment, if it was dirty rags or bottle caps in the vents, it still wouldn't be her job.

15. EffinHard

EffinHard TRIBE Member

pour water on it...

birds hate water.
  16. fear_of_fours

my landlord is a bit of a d-bag

i dont trust him to get a real pest removal company

he'll offer a homeless guy to take care of it for a snickers.

me and my roommate are goign to take care of it.

Hi i'm God: DO YOU MEAN remove it from the outside? or inside??? pls advise.
  17. billy

billy TRIBE Member

^^ if it's just above the fan, removing it from the outside is probably impossible, and vice versa. try to figure out where the nest is (does it sound far or near when they chirp).

it's not going to be fun anyway you approach it.
  18. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

Call a duct cleaning guy and have him vaccuum the nest out. He could even do the rest of your vents while he was there.

Do you not use your stove? I couldn't imagine a bird ever having a chance to build a nest in a stove vent, as the stove is normally used everyday
  19. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

20. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

what's tennets?
  21. Kinger

Kinger TRIBE Member

It doesn't matter how you save the birds. Just make sure you start a thread about it when you do.
  22. billy

billy TRIBE Member

like i said, it has happened to me as a kid, but think of it this way. if a nest made out of bits of grass and twigs can survive way up in a tree basically balancing on a branch, i'm sure they have no trouble living inside a tube with a fan that comes on now and then.
  23. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

Last time I made a comment like that I was a called a d-bag!

Not sure if the d was for douche or dirt, though!
  24. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

That's true.

I have a gas stove and the amount of carbon monoxide that goes through it would kill any baby birds but I guess if you had electric, you wouldn't need it on as much.
  25. fear_of_fours

we very rarely turn it on, i just open a window when i cook? it's right beside the stove anyway.