1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Big DJ, Small Club Tour-Seb Fontaine

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by Nesta, Feb 27, 2001.

1. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

Did anybody go see Seb Fontaine last night at Plastique?

2. The Chemist

The Chemist TRIBE Member

WHAT????? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME??? He is like the godamn Snuffalupagus or friggin' Pokaroo, I missed him again!!!

3. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

The event was invite only(I think), and you found out who the "international" DJ was only when you got there. I had a pass but couldn't make it.

4. The Chemist

The Chemist TRIBE Member

I feel like weeping....how did you get an invite?

5. beaker

beaker TRIBE Member

nesta, what other kinds of people get tickets for this?

while it may feel "special" to see a "big dj" in a "small club", it sounds like the a good portion of the crowd would be potentially irritating and unappreciative (it's sponsored by benson and hedges for christ's sakes!). wouldn't a "big dj" be annoyed that the "small" crowd didn't even know he/she was playing that night?

6. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

I think about two weeks ago they were giving away tickets outside of System with the normal System flyers.

The ticket looked like a folded flyer.

7. twitch

twitch TRIBE Member

Satori got a couple tickets, they weren't folded though.
    And of course we weren't ready for their strict dress code.

8. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

They had their stupid dress code in effect?

9. Mr_Furious

Mr_Furious TRIBE Member

I cannot emphasize how shitty this is. I recieved a flyer last Thursday but i didn't go because i had no clue it was Seb Fontaine. Nesta - is this going to be a regular thing at Plastique?

10. You mean the mandatory freestyle uniform: white unbuttoned shirt w/ wife beater and black jeans?

Minister of freestyle makes me feel stupider just listening to it

Highsteppa

11. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

I'm pretty sure they use different venues everytime.

12. Jinx

Jinx TRIBE Member

Thank you for ruining my day by telling me this.

Once again, I missed him...boo hoo hoo.

Jinx <---Gonna go find a bridge to jump from now

13. Gizmo

Gizmo TRIBE Member

It was pretty deserted. And from the reports I got from people who stayed for the whole night, Scaife had the best set of the night.

14. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

I heard the highlight of the night was Neve Campbell

15. keld

keld TRIBE Member

^ my grrlfriend back in the day. too bad she dumped me well before she was famous.

16. TraNceAhoLic

TraNceAhoLic TRIBE Member

he was great at guv in november

17. Wave

Wave TRIBE Member

There wasn't a dress code enforced last night at Plastique. There was lots of glitz and glam types, but also saw several people in trainers & t-shirts. All in all, it was kind of fun - but then most things are when there is lots of free alcohol!

Wave

18. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

different venues everytime, last year it was hawtin at madbar and tenaglia at livingroom. i wonderwhy they only imported in a second or third tier trance DJ this time? It was supposed be Oakenfold i heard...

19. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

I'm not a big fan of Seb Fontaine. But I'll defend him by saying I wouldn't call Seb Fontaine a second or third tier trance DJ. He is after-all a resident of Cream ... he replaced Oakenfold when he left a few years ago. He also has the very successful Prototype series of mixed CDs released under the highly praised Boxed umbrella (Global Underground, NuBreed etc...). He’s a well-known name around the world, with a busy international itinerary and some substantial fees to accompany. Also Seb has been pretty much playing tech-edged house and prog for at least the past year.

Whether you find these accomplishments impressive or not is up to you. I'd agree that he's probably another average DJ that's benefited from some hard work, some lucky breaks and living in the UK. I would however say that his resume is enough to be considered a "tier 1" DJ

.... perhaps just barely. [​IMG]

matt