1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Best Actor Denzel Washington???

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by pauly j, Mar 24, 2002.

1. pauly j

pauly j TRIBE Member

is anybody out there wondering about this one other than me? yes, granted denzel is a very gifted actor who put in a good preformance in training day, but best actor?

what about sean penn in i am sam? this would have easily been my choice, but again this year penn was robbed, just as he was for dead man walking.

i would have even understood had russell crowe picked up the award, as he too portrayed his character exceptionally, even though in the real world he might be a dick.

anyways, i really want to know what anbody else out there has to say about this one.

pauly j.

2. Cameron

Cameron TRIBE Member

i hear you. i actually saw training day on friday and only after learned that denziel was up for an oscar. he was alright in it, but best actor? no way...

3. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

i am sam was too much a transparent attempt for an oscar, at least thats what i felt about it.

as for denzel winning, could be because tonight was about "breaking barriers"!!

plus russel crowes a big meany according to moby.
    do you want the oscar to go to a big mean meany? agian??

p[l]a+0

4. They were recognizing his body of work. Training Day was not his best role, but he's done solid work in films such as Malcolm X, Mo' Better Blues, Glory (which he won a best supporting actor Oscar for), Mississippi Masala and so on.

The same thing happened for Al Pacino with winning for Scent of a Woman. While not his best role (hello? Godfather, Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon anyone?), the "academy" felt his dues were paid. Same goes for Dustin Hoffman (Kramer vs. Kramer is just one of the best peices of work he got nominated for - he won for Rain Man) and plenty of others.

As for Sean Penn, I disagree. I found Sean to be pandering in I Am Sam. I do think he deserved it for Dead Man Walking (more interesting character arc and a tougher role to play convincingly I found), but I guess the academy didn't think so.

From the Ministry of horray for Denzel

Prime Minister Highsteppa

5. Stormshadow

Stormshadow TRIBE Member

The Academy always does this sort of thing. They give the award because the actor was ripped off for previous movies.
    Like how Crowe got it last year for Gladiator, when he should have got it got for The Insider. Or how Tom Hanks won for Philadelphia, when he should have easily won for Joe vs. the Volcano a few years prior.

6. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

yeahh i hate how they do that, and dont even bother to keep it secret that those are their motives

"well he deserved it these past years so lets finally give it to him now since next year he may be dead"
    or something

bah!

you might as well give them out to anyone and everyone.

p[l]a+0

7. Fuck that. He should of got it for Bachelor Party, or even better yet, for Mazes and Monsters!

From the Ministry of D&D slander campaign brought to you by the 700 Club.

8. pauly j

pauly j TRIBE Member

i agree completely with the idea that denzel's award was more for his previous body of work then for training day itself, as it has been for several of actors before him. i just have a little problem with this. why not just award the best to the best, and leave it at that.

as far as the other winners though, i think everything was fairly on point, at least how i would have picked them......whatever that means.

pauly j.

9. Because The Oscars are like Tribe Drama only on a much bigger scale.

Tribe without Drama is like Chewbacca without Han Solo.

From the Ministry of compairisons.

10. Wunderbar

Wunderbar TRIBE Member

Denzel was good in Training Day but I concur with the idea that he won the Oscar for his overall contribution to the industry and not simply for his performance in that Two Star action movie.

And it's nice to finally see someone else recognize that Tom Hanks got screwed for not even getting nominated for Joe v. the Volcano. One of my all time favourites!!!!!!

11. BigBadBaldy

BigBadBaldy TRIBE Member

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I would be willing to bet you and I are the only two on this board that have seen that role-playing game psychodrama.

BBB.

Mazes and Monsters indeed. I always think of him from Bosom Buddies.

12. You might be surprised. I thought I was one of the only people on the board that remembered Top Secret, but yet, I think you and Sean (CC) remembered it in vivid detail, and how funny it was.

From the Ministry of love how the lesson of: D&D + mentally unstable people = ticking time bomb.

13. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Oh please. Tribe drama is SO MUCH bigger than the Oscars. :rolleyes:

14. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Wasn't that when he outed his highshool drama teacher? And that became the basis for the movie, In & Out?

PS: Neil Young's song for Philadelphia was better than Springsteen's.

15. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

what chu talkin' bout? Denzel was amazing in Rush Hour 2!

16. I-Drop

I-Drop TRIBE Member

haha..

20 sided die anyone?

lmao

17. tommysmalls

tommysmalls TRIBE Member

its totally ridiculous - he should have won for malcolm X back in the day, but the academy wasn't progressive enough back 10 years ago :rolleyes:

good for halle and denzel though - i think it rocks that they both won!!

18. Evil Dynovac

Evil Dynovac TRIBE Member

You will be fed to the maggot god Shlorg for that comment you feckless humanoid scum!

So much of the Academy was about 'the big picture' in hollywood. LOTR didn't win as many awards as it should have because the academy was saying "whatever, if they don't win it with this movie we can give it to them for the other two." That's why Ian got robbed for best supporting actor.

Damn that old queen was funny! Did you check him and his much younger boyfriend? Too funny them holding hands like school kids. Wonder was his speech would be like if he won.

"First of all I'd like to thank Kiki, who put a smile on my face before the party even started! Hmmmm!"

Dynovac: The 'Faster Kiki! Faster!' Runaway Supercomputer

19. AdRiaN

AdRiaN TRIBE Member

Mazes & Monsters

Well, I would be willing to bet you are the only two who will publicly admit to seeing Mazes & Monsters!

ME, on the other hand, might have had a "friend" who watched the movie and happened to tell me all about it. ;)

20. AdRiaN

AdRiaN TRIBE Member

Denzel Washington

Come on, people! We all know that Denzel won the Oscar because of a deciding vote from the FRENCH JUDGE at the Academy. :)

21. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

Maybe.
    But who cares.
    THere all just actors anyways.

-jM
    A&D