are lasers dangerous?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Mr_Furious, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

What about the guy in GO?!?

2. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

Umm... I've done this to one of my cats before...

For a month straight my friends would come over and tease the car with a Laser. The cat went Nutz... for the next 3 months it could not deal with lights being off... it would run up and down the hall looking for the laser all night meowing non stop.

I dont suggest you tease a cat too much... or at least for to long.

-Nick

3. Cannabus

Cannabus TRIBE Member

Note: don't feed your Cat drugs/alcohol [​IMG]

lasers do not affect them in anyway [​IMG]

4. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

I'm sorry. I love you.

Love,
    Mel.

5. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

It's OK. I love you too. I just got a bit out of hand, that's all.

I made this out of lasers just for this thread ...

[​IMG]

Cheers ... Ian [​IMG]

6. Sporty Dan

Sporty Dan TRIBE Member

All visible lasers are class 1 lasers.
    Maximum continuous exposure at 30 cm away from it before it causes eye damage is ~20 minutes. Maximum safe continous exposure at > several meters away is ~8 hours.

dan.

7. Bass-Invader

Bass-Invader TRIBE Member

no, they dont have to be very powerful to reach across a room. Obviously its bad to stare at any bright light though, so as long as you dont stand in the path of the beam such that it goes right into your eye, hoping that you will absorb the power of the laser and become some sort of super-laser-girl, umm..what the hell was i talking about again?

8. Sporty Dan

Sporty Dan TRIBE Member

It doesn;t burn it, the power could never be controlled accurately enough. There is an etching chemical on the surface of the disk that reacts to light, that is what burns it.

dan.

9. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

*lol* @ Bass-Invader & Soundstream

10. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

listen to dan, he knows his lasers. in fact he can build a laser out of potatoes and a coke bottle.

--craig

11. t-boy

t-boy TRIBE Member

shhhh then

12. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

I knew there would be someone on here that would come and explain how it doesn't exactly "burn" the disc. I knew that. I just tried to keep the analogy simple. My main point was that the write laser is approximately 10 times the strength of the read laser, and thus strong enough to cause the chemical reaction. I was just trying to point out that different intensities will cause different effects.

Cheers ... Ian [​IMG]

13. AdRiaN

AdRiaN TRIBE Member

The laser at System is safe.

But I would start being concerned if they decided to add pyro to the club! [​IMG]

---------------
    AdRiaN

14. CC

CC TRIBE Member

lasers suck. maybe once and a while they are ok, but at a club, they just get annoying. lasers are an easy way to distract you from the fact that the club looks like a pile of shit. any really nice club wouldnt' use them. system has a ghetto concrete floor and the decorations are not as stunning as you may think. the lasers do their job well i guess.

CC

15. DJAlchemy

DJAlchemy TRIBE Promoter

honestly I'd be more worried about those intense strobes at system before I was worried about the laser. Those things burn through your eyelids! its like a frickin nulear explosion in the distance every few seconds! I'd even be more worried about all the smoke they pump in there so you can see the pretty laser.

Peace & love. D

16. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

Right. If I don't know about something, I should be quiet instead of try to educate myself. Maybe you like to perpetuate your own ignorance. I don't.

Ming.

17. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

That thought occured to me last time I was at System actually. So, I looked it up on the net. Yes, I looked it up on the net. All by meself.

Apparently, dry ice is just carbon dioxyde, which is what we exhale. So, no danger. [​IMG]

Ming.

18. djcheezwhiz

djcheezwhiz TRIBE Member

to the tune of james favourite xpress 2 song...

or another smoke machine **cough** **cough**
    cause one of those just isn't enough...

jc

19. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

That's impressive! For a mingster.

Cheers ... Ian [​IMG]

20. DJAlchemy

DJAlchemy TRIBE Promoter

but! but!

i guess you're right. hmph!

Peace & love. D

21. AdRiaN

AdRiaN TRIBE Member

Actually ... I think most smoke machines used in clubs are not just dry ice. It's usually a blend of several different chemicals, none of which are toxic (although sometimes they don't smell all that good).

For such a commonly used piece of equipment, I would imagine that no company could legally sell a smoke machine that emitted anything even remotely harmful.

--------------
    AdRiaN

22. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

most smoke machines do not contain dry ice - it would be expensive to purchase and store when not in use. they put some sort of liquid in the machines, you can usually find people topping them off if you get to a club early/before it opens.

here's the msds sheet on a typical type of liquid shit:
    http://www.buyashp.com/MSDS_F100.doc

--craig

23. Sporty Dan

Sporty Dan TRIBE Member

..... yeah.... cause no company has ever sold a harmful product to a lot of people. [​IMG]

dan.

24. PosTMOd

PosTMOd Well-Known Member

And different wavelengths for different purposes too...

DVD-RAM uses 635 nm...

CD-RW... 780 nm (and three different powers... write, erase, and read)...

CD-R... 780nm

And yes, the pits are actually "burned", that is, in order to form pits, the dye (which is reactive to specific frequencies) heats up...

Humans see from about 400nm (violet) to 700 nm (red)...

25. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

well ... yes, and no. enough of it can harm you. here's an easy test - try breathing into a plastic bag over and over and see how long you'll last.

actually, i don't suggest you do that. but it will prove my point (it's more of the lack of oxygen that'll make you pass out - but the CO2 is also not so good in large quantities)

--craig