are lasers dangerous?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Mr_Furious, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Mr_Furious

Mr_Furious TRIBE Member

this thread was inspired by a conversation i've had with a few people lately.....A friend told me that a laser is damaging if its shot into your eye, and everytime I go to System those lasers shoot into my eye all the time....so I was just wondering..are lasers dangerous?

2. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

laser eye surgery...

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I once had a friend who go zapped in the face with a funky laser at the Docks and had a seizure.....that was scary as hell.

4. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

Lasers have different strengths. Some can burn, some cannot.

Think about it in terms of a CD-R drive. The "write" laser is essentially the same as the "read" laser, except at about 10x the intensity. So instead of it reflecting off the surface, it burns through it.

Cheers ... Ian [​IMG]

5. djcheezwhiz

djcheezwhiz TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

i have a laer that is damaging...

6. djcheezwhiz

djcheezwhiz TRIBE Member

laer = laser (man these keys are too small)...

7. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

in the hands of a good marksman, lasers can be very dangerous. not as dangerous as phasers though.

don't even get me started on quantum torpedos.

8. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

lol Watch out for those ion cannons.

9. stir-fry

stir-fry TRIBE Member

"lasers" aren't dangerous, but they are very "evil"

[​IMG]

10. seeker

seeker TRIBE Member

now _that's_ a weapon! why do all that concussion damage when you could just shut down every electrical system on board your opponents ship and leave them floating helplessly through space?! [​IMG]

11. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

So I take it nobody knows the answer really?
    I was wondering about this too yesterday.

Ming.

12. djcheezwhiz

djcheezwhiz TRIBE Member

^^^ yes but when your ion cannon has been captured on hoth, the concussion missles will have to do...

"the first transport is away"

jc

13. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

Look at my post. I answered it. Some lasers are, some are not. It depends on the laser's intensity.

Without being asked a more specific question, I can't give a more specific answer. It's like asking "Will acid kill you?".

Cheers ... Ian [​IMG]

14. seeker

seeker TRIBE Member

troo. i suppose you might as well use the concussion missiles, you'd be fucked anyway. [​IMG]

i think my favourite ion weapon scene is when the jawas hit R2D2 with the ion rifle in episode IV. i laugh every time i see that scene.

15. Jeremy Jive

Jeremy Jive TRIBE Member

Lasers are only dangerous when they are sharks with frikkin laser on their heads.

jeremy -now give me one billion dollars- jive

16. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

isnt that an emp pulse?!

Hijacked!

17. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

Soundstream is correct.
    YAYITTY YAY YAY

Watts important is the power of the laser (BUWAHAHHAahahwhaAHahaha..a.a.... get it?) and how long it is shining.

Those nice club lasers are powerful enough to hurt your eye if you stared into them a while, but just flashing by you are fine.

A good way to check is to look around your current environment. If you can see it, then your retina has not been burned off.

-jM
    A&D

18. Mr_Furious

Mr_Furious TRIBE Member

so, the lasers at sytem are not?

19. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

How do you know that the lasers at clubs aren't dangerous?
    Aside from the assumption that promoters wouldn't want to kill us...I imagine they would have to fairly powerful to reach across rooms with intensity. But I know nothing of these things.

Specific enough for you? Punk.

Ming.

20. seeker

seeker TRIBE Member

i suppose it depends on which movie universe you're residing in. or you could look at it like this: EMP pulse is indirect, ion cannon is directed.

this may require much chin-stroking and repeated viewings of 'Star Wars' and 'The Matrix'. [​IMG]

21. Cannabus

Cannabus TRIBE Member

Cats love laser...they chase them for hours...o' that so much fun when your high.muahaha [​IMG]

22. djcheezwhiz

djcheezwhiz TRIBE Member

actually i remember one night, back when laser technology had yet to be perfected...it's almost too horrible to remember...the screams as people were burned by what appeared to be a harmless red supermarket laser...the sad part is the promoters & bouncers shoved all the casualities into a closet and only after one patron called 911 & the police showed up was the true horror of the evening reavealed...a dark day in clubbing history...

jc

ps if you brought a can of beans to a club & held it up to the laser, would it make that little checkout/supermarket sound??? [​IMG]

23. graham

graham Well-Known Member

not many people know what laser stands for, but I do. Here's a simple rhyme I use to help me remember:

If it's yella, you've got juice there fella!
    If it's brown, you're in cider town!

24. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

With attitude like that, I am now refusing to share my expert opinion. Look it up on the net. Bitch.

Cheers ... Ian [​IMG]

25. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

No. But you might start dancing like that guy in the Five Alive commercial.

Cheers ... Ian [​IMG]