1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

apprenticeships

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Rosey, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

has anybody here completed or participated in an apprenticeship program?

i'm thinking of a career change and i'm wondering if there are any good/bad/ugly stories that i should know about before i think about jumping ship?

also, any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

-ross

2. nusty

nusty TRIBE Member

Go into Pyrotecknics! A buddy of mine took a course on it that lasted a few weeks and now he's working for some chick and he's easily capable of making close to 70$ an hour as her apprentice. And you only have to work half the year if you want.
    Plus fire is always cool and large amounts of it are even cooler!

3. -Mercury-

-Mercury- TRIBE Member

It's a good way to go, if you can find something you like to get into.
    It's nice to get paid while your learning your job, not after.

I started mine right out of high-school. Although the 3 years of night school were tough to get through, it was worth it in the end.

tony

<--- Completed his Mouldmaker appreticeship (tool & die)

4. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

i'm interested in becoming an electrician.
    but what does a starting apprentice earn?

nusty, not that i'm really thinking of pyrotechnics as a career, but where did he take the course. just curious.

5. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

A career in pyrotechincs would be so bad ass!

6. -Mercury-

-Mercury- TRIBE Member

as far as i know, apx. 50% of what a journeyman makes.

So (depending on where you work) that's probably $2_ an hour. Meaning you would start out at in the $12-13 /hour range.

then, for every 1000 hours you work towards your apprenticeship (apx. 6 months), you get a 5% raise, untill you have all of your hours in.

7. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

is it possible to start an apprenticeship and then take time off (like a few months to travel) then come back to it? would that be really bad?

<--- trying to figure out what to do with the rest of his life :(

8. PinkAngeL

PinkAngeL TRIBE Member

You should seriously think about becoming a tool and die maker!
    good money during the apprenticeship and LARGE money once you are done.
    This country is short tens of thousands of them!!!!

9. matty

matty TRIBE Member

10. orange richie

orange richie TRIBE Member

Very true, I completed 3 years in a Tool and Die apprenticeship. It is good money and there is a lot of overtime because there is a huge shortage of people in the trade. Very interesting and challenging career but I had to quit cuz 60+ hour weeks just wasn't doing it for me anymore. I wasn't prepared to dedicate that much of my life on a job that wasn't bringing me an equal amount of satisfaction. Money isn't everything but if I ever need to go back I'm still a third year apprentice and could get a job anywhere. That's one great thing about this trade: YOU WILL NEVER LOOK FOR WORK!

Rickardo Belmiro de la Cruz...

11. fuzzy

fuzzy TRIBE Member

I will just say that I had a very bad expereince with my Auto Mechanic Appreanticeship
    I was treated like shit everywhere I went!
    Ended up going back to school

Richard

12. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

what does a tool and die maker do? seriously.

13. Bass-Invader

Bass-Invader TRIBE Member

I think they make things, which make other stuff.

Like molds to make a certain type of tool, or machine part.

14. -Mercury-

-Mercury- TRIBE Member

wow, i didn't realize we had so much in commen when I first met you....um... kinda
    (I spun immediatly after you at that UN1TY that Ian/Derek threw)

Anyways, I feel the same way about the whole situation. $$$ isn't everything. And the more you make, the more you spend.

You just get in a bad cycle.
    I look forward to leaving my job one day soon (I hope)
    Since I always know I'll have that little piece of paper that says I'm special,...I mean a mouldmaker. :)

I'll get into a little more of what the job entails later, when I have more time.

My least favorite part of my job: the fact that I start work in 5 and a half hours. :(

That isn't good when your a night owl/insomniac.

15. nusty

nusty TRIBE Member

so wrong, in so many ways. I really do hope that site is firewalled from young kids. If I ever saw any of my sisters on that site I'd kill that woman, or whatever she is!

16. squirrel

squirrel TRIBE Member

an apprenticeship is a good idea.while everyone else is paying thousands of dollars for their education and coming out of school in debt, an apprentice will get paid to learn and in the long run will probably make very good money because there is a shortage of workers in almost every trade. as far as being treated like shit is concerned, anywhere you first start out you will be at the bottom, while doing an apprenticeship or not.

17. Lysistrata

Lysistrata Well-Known TRIBEr

18. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

*bump*
    anybody else got info or ancedotes?