1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Anyone Else Love J-Pop?!

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Sukebe Jiji, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Sukebe Jiji

Sukebe Jiji TRIBE Promoter

So does anyone else enjoy the sweet sweet tunes of Japanese pop music??

Right now I cannot get enough of Hitomi Yaida..I just love the tune, My Sweet Darling, even if it is a little old.

Another group I love is SMAP...if you don't know who they are, imagine a cross between, hmmm...maybe the Backstreet Boys and the Monkees...it is hard to explain..they are definitely a pop group filled with heart throbs.but they are as funny as all hell and have numerous character spin offs...for example, one of them, Shingo, dresses up like a woman and calls himself Shingomama (whose tunes O-ha Rock is the BOMB!)

Anyways, before I write too much I should probably wait see if there is absolutely any interest in J-pop...

2. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

ummm, no not really but i like shonen knife & pizzicato5 & towa tei
    :)

p[l]a+0

3. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

It's all about the YATTA!

4. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

^^^HAHAHAHAA!!!!1

someone post thatlink! :D

p[l]a+0

5. Sukebe Jiji

There is a link to "Yatta"?! What do you mean?! Throw me a bone here!! haha

And for the record Towa Tei is KOREAN not Japanese....sorry Plato. ;) that is a big difference..especially if you ask a Korean..

As for Shonen Knife and Pizzacato 5 none of them are big in Japan...I think they are creations meant to be big in the West..but that is just my theory

Doesn't anyone like Utada Hiakaru, Ayumi, B'z, Southern All-Stars or the Kinki Kids?! Come on! J-pop rules!! Yeah J-Pop!

Or am I all alone?

peter

6. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

:eek:

he's korean!?

no way....woah...this changes...well, nothing, but i had remembered reading he was from japan.

as for the others, well yeah i never said i was big on j-pop, thats just as close i come to it.

p[l]a+0

7. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

It's nothing compared to Lionel...sweet, sweet Lionel.

8. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

9. Etkulte

Etkulte TRIBE Member

Whats kind of funny is that I just got a DVD on SMAP's 1999 tour. I had no idea they were a boy band, since I got it for my friend and shes loves them.

I was testing to see if it works. Since I've found bullshit copies in China town all the time. Anyways they're aren't you're typical boy band. They're more entertaining.

But my fav J-pop would lunar sea, earth fire & wind, Charge & aska = air supply equivalent & globe sessions or global something.

Plus any kool cartoon soundtracks like the Singing Gundam one where they fight with music & Slam Dunk.:D

10. aether

aether TRIBE Member

well, everytime I hear it that Puffy Ami Yumi song it gets stuck in my head but it probably doesn't qualify as J-Pop any more than Pizzicato 5

11. aether

aether TRIBE Member

well, everytime I hear it that Puffy Ami Yumi song it gets stuck in my head but it probably doesn't qualify as J-Pop any more than Pizzicato 5.. ( does it?.. )

12. AVE

AVE TRIBE Member

fuck, i don't even like A-pop, so I'll be fucked if I'm gonna listen to J-pop

13. jus me

jus me TRIBE Member

I like Utada and Ayumi (although at times her voice sounds whiney).

I haven't been keeping up lately. :p

And I do like that Puffy Ami Yumi song (....#5?), only japanese video I've EVER seen on Much.

14. Sukebe Jiji

JENIUS:

What is a SMAP concert like even?!?! Those guys are just so damn funny....I could imagine it being like almost more a comedy show than a concert!

jus me:

Have you heard the new Utada single?! It just got released in Japan maybe a week or two ago...regardless, it is AWESOME :)...imho the best Utada song to date.

Plato:

Tis true the mighty Towa Tei is Korean...now when one of your friends says they like Japanese music and mention him you can be the smart ass who says he is Korean! :)

Labrat:

YATTA!

15. Etkulte

Etkulte TRIBE Member

Sukebe Jiji do u have high speed internet?

Anyways if you do ICQ me and I'll try to send you a copy of it. Or a least clips of it. Or I could upload whatever my comp can handle to watchers ftp site.

anyways ICQ: 3614269

16. sxcboy

sxcboy TRIBE Member

the extent of me listening to j-pop is from the little i hear of it from collecting anime soundtracks..

aside from that i don't have the time to get into it...

but i do have to admit
    some of it is really catchy....

17. da MiGHTy pLUm!

da MiGHTy pLUm! TRIBE Member

it's catchy
    it's cheesy and campy
    and I can't help but to like it....
    my listening to j-pop is also pretty much limited to my anime soundtrack collection....

-ron!

18. Sukebe Jiji

What kinds of tunes are on these anime soundtracks?? Which movie soundtracks do you guys have?? On a somewhat related tangent there is a new Pat Labor movie coming out that looks ace. :)

Basic:

I just noticed your big ups of sweet Lionel and I concur...maybe we should start a Lionel appreciation thread.

Peter

19. da MiGHTy pLUm!

da MiGHTy pLUm! TRIBE Member

I havn't heard anything of a P3.... but I've been hearing great things of Jin-Roh, done by the same crew that worked on Patlabor 2, Ghost in the Shell, and Blood - the last vampire.... Jin-Roh is supposedly set in an alternate post WWII Japan.... I'm still waiting for my dvd to come in, even though I placed a pre-order for it over a month ago.... you can pick up a HK 0 region copy from Pacific mall though if you don't want to wait.

ok.... and I am done running off on a tangent....

back to the original topic.... :D

-ron!

20. jus me

jus me TRIBE Member

Sukebe Jiji: No I haven't heard her new single. As I said, I haven't been keeping up. Which english sites do you go to?

I have most of her "First Love" CD as mp3s and "Can you keep a secret?".

Come to think of it, does anyone know where I can get Non-No magazine?
    And I'm not willing to pay an obscene price for it (eg:10$+). Since Tower Records closed down, my source for jap magazines are gone.

21. Sukebe Jiji

jus me:

Well, I kind of cheat...I was just over in Japan for my spring break to see some of my Japanese friends etc etc...so they help me keep up to date.

What is the scoop on this "Non-no" magazine you speak of? Can you read Japanese or is it in English? I will try to see if anyone stocks it by where I am here in NYC...are there any other titles you like?

Plum:

They were just starting the ads for PL3 like last week-end in Japan...