1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

All things Blackhawk Down

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by el presidente Highsteppa, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Blackhawk Down - For those who haven't taken a gander at the tv in the last 4 or 5 weeks, this is the retelling of the U.S. involvement in Somalia, which resulted in the longest sustained firefight in U.S. history (the mission was only supposed to be a quick in and out snatch-and-grab mission that would take an hour - instead it started at around 3pm and went until 6am the following day). I am currently reading the book and am quite impressed with the handling of the story, which is fairly factual, with a minimal U.S. rah-rah tangent (the book often criticizes the U.N. and U.S. involvement, tactics and handling of their insertion in Somalia). Josh Harnett, Ewan MacGregor, Tom Sizemore, Jeremy Piven, William Fitchner, Eric Bana and Sam Sheppard star. Ridley Scott (who has done Alien, Blade Runner, Gladiator and a host of other visually stunning films) directs.

The only problem I'm having with the book is the fact that there is practically zero character developpment. I understand that this is mostly a retelling of the whole conflict, but it is written in a semi traditional way, with a bit of sideline commentary from the writter, giving a critique of the situation and the Somali perspective.

I know Tonedeff has seen it, and given it a very positive endorsement, but I'm curious as to how different from the book it will be.

From the Ministry of still seeing it Saturday. Lil' Timmy, drop me a line bro if you want in.

Prime Minister Highsteppa

2. Lil'Timmy

Lil'Timmy TRIBE Promoter

James,

Call me at work before friday...

3. BassInMyFace

BassInMyFace TRIBE Member

I to am nearly done the book, there are a few good documentaries out there about the whole event as well.

As for being the biggest fire fight in Us history......no.

Several battles in Vietnam and WWII, would out do this in terms of sustianed fire.

But this is the biggest SCINCE vietnam.

I love the Delta guys, or the DEADLY D
    I also think the idea of keeping it true to the facts and not over developing any characters will result in the first war movie to have next to zero hollywood cheese!
    Im pumped, I coming to TO for the opening this Friday.

4. BassInMyFace

el presidente, what did you think of THIN RED LINE?

5. I liked it, but I wasn't into the whole abstract philosophy spouting that was going on through the whole film. But then again, I was never a big fan of the director, except for The Deer Hunter.

From the Ministry of my bad of the facts

6. BassInMyFace

Ok El Presidente, I am seemingly trying to correct/cretique you, rest assured I am just trying to be objective.

7. MalGlo

MalGlo TRIBE Member

I'm a war movie buff... this looks good..can't wait to see it

Dave

8. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

this movie will be good because of:

Ewan.

*drool*

9. Cheeka

Cheeka TRIBE Member

war movies are always way too sad [​IMG]
    they kill me!

10. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

Got it on VCD, maybe I'll check it out.

pr0n

11. BassInMyFace

Get The Fuck Outta here!!!!! AsIN your got it of the net already?!?!?!
    Please tell me where? Do you use Morpheus?

12. No prob bro. Keep it coming [​IMG]

From the Ministry of loves a challenge - helps improve my writing.

13. BassInMyFace

Ok, so I can stop apologizing every time I say somthing? Thank God. [​IMG]

How about DUNE? You into sci-fi at all?

14. Boo

Boo TRIBE Member

Ya I've had it since last friday, its kinda crap quality and would be much better on the big screen - cause there's lots of action. Not much of a story really but good realistic action.

*cough* IRC *cough*

15. Hated the David Lynch version, (which he took the credit of Alan Smithee) liked the TV miniseries.

From the Ministry of better scope, and took more time to realize the vision and story that Lynch couldn't convey in a couple of hours (or three as I have on VHS)

16. bitchass

bitchass TRIBE Member

ive had the vcd for a few days as well and finally watched it tonight (on tv not the computer) the quality is pretty good and the only problem was some of the subtitles and the credits were a bit too blurry to read.

the movies is almost 3 hours long and is non-stop action after the first 10 minutes... my roomate and i watched it and didnt even realise the thing was so long until it was over - it really kept our attention.

i really enjoyed a war movie without a lot of character develpment. nothing but fighting and GO GO GO GO INCOMING RPG YEAHHH

17. Tonedeff

Tonedeff TRIBE Member

Highsteppa:

My problem with the book is the writing style: it was just too straightforward and journalistic, bordering on facile. It's one thing to be objective and succint but I just found the prose extremely bland and the tone kind of sophmoric.

As I said in my original post on the movie, there is very little character development in the movie either. They spend fifteen or twenty minutes portraying the life on the base, jumping from group to group, and then the action starts with the mission.

I've seen the movie a second time, and because of the lack of character development or strong emotional attachment, it didn't really stand up. I was blown away the first time I saw it, just because of technical mastery and inherent drama in the action, but I don't think this will be the kind of war movie that will stand up under countless viewings the way Full Metal Jacket or Apocalypse do.

Neverthless, it is certainly impressive and any fan of war movies or political snafus should check it out.

Hope this doesn't spoil any of your expectations, and looking forward to your review.

18. I'm about halfway through the book, and am finding the same problem. Cold, detached and not very exciting in the vocab department and narrative. It's interesting to read, but there's only so much combat narrative that I can take in a reading day.

Isn't that often the case with a lot of films? They look absolutely stunning when you first see them, as you are not expecting what's about to come on the screen. But when you see it a second time, you can dissect the moment a bit better, because you can anticipate it. I'm sure I'll be close to overwhelmed the first time I see it, but maybe a little less impressed the following time around.

Not at all, and am looking forward to reviewing it Saturday.

From the Ministry of to the Beaches cinemas

19. BassInMyFace

I think that Bowden has taken a appropriate approach to telling this story. When writing about somthing like this, somthing he was not there for and the men that were are effected for life by it, you have to be very professional. Professional as in almost anal about it. I imagine he was thinking very strongly about the men he interviewed and the emotion that would have been involved during those interviews.
    He may of been worried that if he added to much, he would offend those involved. He is also a war journalist, who in general tend to stay extreamly true to the facts and do not want to over glorify somthing as horrific as combat.
    I do admit though, even as a huge fan of this genre it is a pretty stale read. i am however really enjoying it. I only have about 50 pages left. Its really hard to keep track of whos who. I am constantly refering to the maps to figure out who was where and when.

I will join you all for a review on Sunday when I get back from TO.
    Happy viewing....